• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironwarrior

Jan 24, 2017
    Hello all.

I am active duty Army and will be stationed soon in Maryland. What I can't seem to pin down is what is required of me when I get there and if what I have is legal in the state.

I only own three firearms:

FN SCAR17S (stock with no upgrades)
    AR15 with a HBAR
    FNX 45

Already I have figured out that I will have to register my pistol which is no big deal but I can't seem to iron down if any of my firearms are allowed. I saw a list that showed the SCAR as being "not banned" but had some thoughts about the features which may ban it.

I would love any help in this matter and thank you in advance for any advice you have.

Zman9398

Jan 15, 2017
    The AR 15 and scar are legal unless they have 2 or more evil features which include grenade launcher, flash hider, and collapsible (correct me if wrong please) stock. Keep that HBar on there and you are good to go. Shouldn't have any problems with the handgun other than registering it. You may need to get an HQL, but I will let someone else give you the proper info on that.

ironwarrior

Jan 24, 2017
    The AR 15 and scar are legal unless they have 2 or more evil features which include grenade launcher, flash hider, and collapsible (correct me if wrong please) stock.

So i take it that while the Stock SCAR 17 has a collapsible stock it has a muzzle brake and not a flash hider so I should be good there.

Also, is there anywhere to shoot 200 - 400 meters? I've never fired either of my rifles past 100m and would like to. I'll be in the Fredrick area.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    The AR 15 and scar are legal unless they have 2 or more evil features which include grenade launcher, flash hider, and collapsible (correct me if wrong please) stock. Keep that HBar on there and you are good to go. Shouldn't have any problems with the handgun other than registering it. You may need to get an HQL, but I will let someone else give you the proper info on that.

OK, you're wrong.:D Collapsible (read: adjustable) stock is NOT EVIL! The evil thing that goes up is a FOLDING stock.

And, no HQL is required of anyone to register a handgun when moving into Maryland. The HQL is only required (of some people, OP is exempt due to active duty military) to PURCHASE another handgun after you leave America.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Last edited:

ironwarrior

Jan 24, 2017
    FOLDING stock is the problem one.

Well it does indeed fold. However that is only one feature and as far as I can currently tell that is the only feature on a SCAR on the no-go list so I think I should be fine.

Still, I may look at some of the fixed stock options. I don't much like the cheek panel on mine anyway.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    Well it does indeed fold. However that is only one feature and as far as I can currently tell that is the only feature on a SCAR on the no-go list so I think I should be fine.

Still, I may look at some of the fixed stock options. I don't much like the cheek panel on mine anyway.

I'd say keep the stock, most of the aftermarket stocks for the Scar are folding anyways. Just don't put a flash hider on the muzzle and you'll be fine.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Scar 17 with factory muzzle brake is A-OK. If you owned it pre 10/1/13 you can put a flash hider on it before you come here and be legal although I'm not sure if you'd need to register it then. AR-15 with HBAR is also good to go just don't put a folding stock on it.
    FNX should need to be registered within 90 days of establishing residency.

Buy all the standard capacity magazines you want before you come here.

ironwarrior

Jan 24, 2017
    So far so good, thanks everyone for the awesome help! Makes me feel a lot better on getting over there without any headaches.

Jan 14, 2013
    Millersville, MD
    Hello all.

I am active duty Army and will be stationed soon in Maryland. What I can't seem to pin down is what is required of me when I get there and if what I have is legal in the state.

AR15 with a HBAR
    FNX 45

Already I have figured out that I will have to register my pistol which is no big deal but I can't seem to iron down if any of my firearms are allowed. I saw a list that showed the SCAR as being "not banned" but had some thoughts about the features which may ban it.

I would love any help in this matter and thank you in advance for any advice you have.
    Where are you from? I got out of active duty around 2012.

Zman9398

Jan 15, 2017
    OK, you're wrong.:D Collapsible (read: adjustable) stock is NOT EVIL! The evil thing that goes up is a FOLDING stock.

And, no HQL is required of anyone to register a handgun when moving into Maryland. The HQL is only required (of some people, OP is exempt due to active duty military) to PURCHASE another handgun after you leave America.

Thanks I couldn't think of the word for some reason

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 228

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    collapsible stock is good to go as long as OAL is >= 29 make that 26" fully extended IIRC **

No.

It is 29" OAL.

The way the "copycat" law is written is thus:

A rifle is a "copycat assault weapon" if it is a centerfire, semi-automatic rifle which is capable of accepting detachable magazines and either:

• Has an OAL of less than 29" (with any collapsible stock fully extended, measured from muzzle to end of stock in a line parralell to the axis of the bore, not counting any non-permanent muzzle devices) OR
    • Has more than one of the "evil features," which are:
      [*]A folding (not collapsible) stock
      [*]A grenade launcher (not a lug, and actual launcher)
      [*]A flash hider​

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Hello all.

AR15 with a HBAR
    FNX 45

Unless you intend to become a permanent resident of Maryland (i.e. change your state of residence) you are not required to register anything.

The AR15 and the FN45 are fine and I believe the SCAR is as well.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Unless you intend to become a permanent resident of Maryland (i.e. change your state of residence) you are not required to register anything.

The AR15 and the FN45 are fine and I believe the SCAR is as well.

THIS ^^^^^^

And only an idiot would change their residency to MD if they did not have to.

Active duty military and full time students do not have to establish residency in MD, pretty much everyone else does if they will reside here more than 1/2 the year.

ironwarrior

Jan 24, 2017
    Where could I reference the bit about being Active Duty and not having to register because I claim say Georgia as my home.

ironwarrior

Jan 24, 2017
    Originally from Georgia but after 12 years in the service so far I haven't called any place my home really. Probably wont until I get out and find a place to settle down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom