• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    There is a unique code for each transfer?
    I would expect most people will not fill out the form online BEFORE going to the gun shop or gun show. Some will, but most won't.
    Is it going to work out for the Transferee to do everything at the Shop/Show?
    Think you would be better off and intent is to do your part at home. Your pin comes to you via email if I understood instructors correctly....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    That would kind of be like giving each bank teller and grocery store clerk your Debit/ATM PIN.

I hope you enter it yourself rather than giving the code to the FFL
    Pin is only used once and then tied to gun being transferred is what I remember from instructor. So, not like a fixed pin....

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    So if you fill out the online 77r and mark HQL exempt, will it still go through? Is it the FFLs duty to verify?
    I believe you would show the ID for exemption that you would have filled out for anything other than a lower. Or C&R exemption... That is required now for 77r .

As FFL, I would need to see ID if its LEO, military, or FFL manufacturer...

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    There is a unique code for each transfer?
    I would expect most people will not fill out the form online BEFORE going to the gun shop or gun show. Some will, but most won't.
    Is it going to work out for the Transferee to do everything at the Shop/Show?
    Yes, unique for each transfer. Was told you could actually have a few in cue and use them at time of transfer. Only gets put "in play" (my words) when the FFL accesses your data with one unique pin and completes the application with his and weapon data. Again, relying in notes from a training MSP session. It will be a learing curve for all of us.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    So what happens when the system goes down and due to budget cuts it doesn't come back?

Lawsuits! Though I think the much more likely scenario is that the software doesn't work properly. It rarely does, without the kind of testing the military reserves for major aircraft programs.

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    Then the MSP should still be able to permit under certain special cases a paper option.

I am sure they have weighed their options. MD law states that paper applications will no longer be accepted. But it is my understanding they reached out to the AG's office for guidance on what should happened in the event of a crash. It was eventually decided that paper forms was approved in that instance only.

It is just my personal opinion here; If the State Police is going to ever accept paper applications as a matter of routine for special circumstances then those special circumstances will have to be written into law first.

I'd say that the MSP didn't make the law. But they actually did write the electronic submission part. .....as well as many other parts we all hate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    p22 of the User Guide explains how the typical dealer transfer is expected to work

ACTION OWNER
    ACTION TAKEN
    PART ONE: APPLICANT
    1. The applicant creates their account on the Licensing Portal. The applicant logs in.
    2. The applicant clicks the [START 77R-E APPLICATION] button and fills out all fields marked with an asterisk or otherwise denoted as required.
    3. The applicant signs the application electronically and clicks the [SUBMIT] button to submit the application to the Application Queue.
    PART TWO:
    FIREARMS DEALER
    4. When the applicant goes to their Maryland Firearms Dealer of choice, and is ready to purchase a weapon from that Dealer, they supply the Dealer with their last name (the surname used when the application was submitted to the Application Queue) and the unique 77R-E application number.
    5. The Dealer logs into the MSP Licensing Portal and queries the system for the last name – application number combination provided, and if it exists in the Portal system, opens the specific application.
    6. The Dealer completes their portion of the specific application, completing the fields for the weapon selected by the applicant and reviewing the applicant’s Attestation Questions with them.
    7. The Dealer enters the applicant’s credit card information into the Licensing Portal system for the $10 application fee required by the State for submission of an application to purchase a regulated firearm and submits the application to MSP Licensing Division.
    PART THREE:
    MSP LICENSING DIVISION
    8. MSP Licensing Division performs the required background checks on the applicant to determine whether or not the applicant is approved for or prohibited from the purchase of a regulated firearm.
    9. MSP Licensing Division assigns a final disposition to the application and an automated email goes to the applicant’s email address on record, notifying him/her of the disposition.
    PART FOUR: FIREARMS DEALER
    10. If approved, the applicant may then return to the selected Maryland Firearms Dealer to take possession of the weapon being purchased. The firearm is then transferred from the Dealer to the applicant, and both parties sign the application electronically to confirm the transaction is complete.
    Application disapproval will be explained later in this document.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    Lawsuits! Though I think the much more likely scenario is that the software doesn't work properly. It rarely does, without the kind of testing the military reserves for major aircraft programs.

We are not talking about the millions of lines of code needed for a B1B to fly.

We are talking about a simple web service. I would venture to say the app will work just fine. As with many web services the downfall many times is the infrastructure of the hosting service not being able to ramp up during peak periods of traffic.

I hate filling out that paper form. I look forward to doing it electronically.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That's the cash & carry form, rifle a.k.a. unregulated firearm form, correct? The 77R is just for regulated firearms.

My FFL, JLowesGuns, is not a "store" per se.
    Like you said, when I contact him, it's because I already know what I want to buy. He orders it, if not in stock, and then 2 trips...one for the 77R, one for the pickup...That's how it is NOW. If this online thing works, I'll just need to travel there for the physical pickup of the firearm.

I'm going to say that you pay when you do the form. Just like now. You pay for the application now, so whether you are approved or not...they are going to get their money.

Nothing is, as far as Maryland, the MSP, and our RIGHT to buy/own firearms...:mad54:

Nicole, at the MSP Licensing Division told me specifically, that private sales would also use this same online process...

I asked her this exact question the last time I spoke to her...roughly 3 weeks ago.

When I talked to JLowe a couple of weeks ago also, that is how he explained it. Hopefully that is the case. He is about 60 miles from me, but I like him and want to support the "small guys". So if it saves me 2+hrs of round trip driving and $10 in gas. I am all for it!

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    I've been reading this thread and noticed no one mentioned the fact that with this online system, you are now putting your SSN out to the world. Who does this? How secure do really think this is? Remember, this is from the very same people that brought you all the non vetted, temp workers to process the 77Rs during the mad 2013 rush.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    I've been reading this thread and noticed no one mentioned the fact that with this online system, you are now putting your SSN out to the world. Who does this? How secure do really think this is? Remember, this is from the very same people that brought you all the non vetted, temp workers to process the 77Rs during the mad 2013 rush.

If done correctly it should be happening via a secure connection with your data being encrypted.

jlowe23

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2014
    Cecil County

They will no longer be asking for your SSN in the 77r online application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom