• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I've started cast for my black powder 44 cal pistol and 50 cal rifle. I've also been casting 000 shot. I'd like to cast slugs for my 20 gauge, but I can't find a slug mold for it. I was thinking of getting a .575 muzzleloader bullet mold and putting the cast slugs into Claybuster 7/8 oz. capacity wads.

Any opinions or ideas?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I've started cast for my black powder 44 cal pistol and 50 cal rifle. I've also been casting 000 shot. I'd like to cast slugs for my 20 gauge, but I can't find a slug mold for it. I was thinking of getting a .575 muzzleloader bullet mold and putting the cast slugs into Claybuster 7/8 oz. capacity wads.

Any opinions or ideas?

No issues with reloading 20 gauge slugs out of a Lee Minie Bullet mold here. I have plenty experience with it and it does require a few details that have to be followed.

First is use the right wad and second is inserting two WAD-28-B .28 gauge cards in the base of the wad. The wads are BPI Commander.

This is for RIFLED barrel only. You must use Federal or Winchester hulls. Remington hulls are too narrow.

I shoot these out a Rossi slug gun and a Mossberg 500. Deer hunting without an issue and full confidence.

Questions ? I have the answers.

If you have a rifled barrel you're in business. If you're using a smoothbore forget it. You're basically shooting a spitball out of a straw with a smoothbore.

Attachments

• 20 GAUGE SLUG DIAGRAM.jpg
      20 GAUGE SLUG DIAGRAM.jpg
      75.4 KB · Views: 1,358
    • STEP O CAST THE SLUGS.jpg
      STEP O CAST THE SLUGS.jpg
      57.1 KB · Views: 743
    • STEP 2.jpg
      STEP 2.jpg
      32.2 KB · Views: 666
    • MODERN MINIE 58.jpg
      MODERN MINIE 58.jpg
      7.1 KB · Views: 657
    • FINISHED PRODUCT.jpg
      FINISHED PRODUCT.jpg
      53 KB · Views: 655
    • STEP 1 HALF.jpg
      STEP 1 HALF.jpg
      37.6 KB · Views: 699

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Thanks. That's very helpful information. I have those same slug molds for my 50 cal. What sort of powder charge are you using with that setup?

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I have a newbie question. What makes Lee so hated? I have a Lee classic loader for 45 ACP and several Lee molds. The quality of the products is great and the prices are reasonable.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have a newbie question. What makes Lee so hated? I have a Lee classic loader for 45 ACP and several Lee molds. The quality of the products is great and the prices are reasonable.

Lee molds are cheaper bottom-of-the-line economy molds. Every 9 molds I own are Lee. I don't cast a lot of bullets, but, I cast a few hundred each session. Lee molds are made of aluminum blocks and are really soft metal. The sprue plates often come loose and the sprue plates often damage the top edges of the mold blocks deforming bases of bullets. They misalign easily on their own creating a need for re-pours. The handle bars bend easy. The list goes on.

Compared to other molds that are made out off much better steel, like Lyman molds for example, or NOE and Accurate molds are top quality molds for the guys who do a lot of casting. I'm not a target shooter, I am a hunter, so, therefore I cast and reload enough bullets and slugs to feed my needs. If I were a die-hard paper puncher I would not be buying Molds.

With that said, I have cast thousands of bullets with my Lee molds and I only bought one Lee mold that a disfunctional POS. I sent it back, got an new, and it has been perfect ever since. I won't hate on Lee molds, but, I won't afford those other molds because the cost of the mold does not fit my needs.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Thanks. That's very helpful information. I have those same slug molds for my 50 cal. What sort of powder charge are you using with that setup?

I use either Hodgdon HS-6 or Hodgdon Clays powders. I will divulge my HS-6 recipe, but, the Clays is my own experiment and is not stated in any reloading data. For the HS-6 powder I use the 1.9cc Lee Dipper. I forget what the grain weight of the powder is, but, I think it is 13.0 grains, do not hold me to that, since I use that 1.9cc Dipper.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    knastera,

I will have that box of goodies out to you tomorrow. I have some slugs, wads, and I sized and primed some hulls for you as well.

I also threw in a spread of various muzzleloader bullets with the sabots that I have and cast myself in a few different grain weights.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I got the box. THANKS!. do you do this stuff for a living? These are better quality than commercial bullets.

LOL no it's just a "hobby of necessity" you might say.

I have been casting for a long time and reloading for a long time. I got out of it all for several years, but, took up the arts again a few years ago do to increasing ammo prices and I got tired of seeing my and friends paying $25.00 for 15 to 20 muzzleloader bullets that are nothing but pistol bullets in a plastic sabot to begin with.

The shotgun slugs were of the same reason. I got tired of paying $15.00 for some fancy sabot slugs for a rifled barrel that are no more accurate than common Remington Slugger, so, I started casting and reloading once again. I've got the 20 gauge slug cast and reload down to a science, but, I'm now working to use a different powder for 20 gauge so I can use the same powder for 12, 20, & 16 gauge reloads instead of three different powders that all do the same thing.

Keep me posted on your experience with my muzzleloader bullets and let me know how you make out with the 20 gauge slugs. I think you'll be happy with the HS-6 in the 20 gauge. The M/L bullets are well, just M/L bullets ( but a lot cheaper )

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I took out the muzzleloader bullets for a spin today. While my mechanics still need some work, I made six for six kill shots from 75m. I'm saving the 400gr converted .45-70 hollow-points for hunting season. I will be hunting on private land where the owner tells me most of his kills are within 60m. I am very excited. Thanks again for the bullets.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I took out the muzzleloader bullets for a spin today. While my mechanics still need some work, I made six for six kill shots from 75m. I'm saving the 400gr converted .45-70 hollow-points for hunting season. I will be hunting on private land where the owner tells me most of his kills are within 60m. I am very excited. Thanks again for the bullets.

No problem at all. As long as you got 6 shots inside of a 6" circle with a muzzleloader you are ready to go. Those 45-70's sure do make a fine hole...

45-70%2520400%2520GRAIN%2520SWCHP.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom