Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 25th, 2014, 06:11 PM #11
God loves you, I don't.

God loves you, I don't.

Do you have your plastic lawn chairs and traffic cones securing your spot along Fred for the parade?
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:25 PM #12
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey0118 View Post

Curious thing, a good amount of teacher-folks I know live in the general area and in the past 2 weeks, I've had about 6 people come up to ask me for advice in getting their first gun for home defense...knowing I'm the "gun-guy". 6 people walked away with some advice, and very pissed off to learn about all the sb281 hoops they have to go through to get something for their defense.
I know two HoCo teachers that live there. One has asked me for gun advice.
In general terms, Catonsville seems to offer some decent relatively affordable housing with an easy commute to Baltimore or HoCo.
I know a bank president who just a bought a nice house there.

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: Itís the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a personís heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 01:27 AM #13

Location: Bowdimoh... but it feels like Catonsville... with riots

Location: Bowdimoh... but it feels like Catonsville... with riots
There's been some general burglary problems recently in the neighborhoods along Edmondson between 695 and 40. It seems to go in spurts until the nicer neighborhoods realize they are soft targets.

I don't consider Catonsville that affordable unless you live in the crappy parts. Well it is more affordable than Howard County. It is all relative I guess.
clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 03:31 PM #14
take to the hills

take to the hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster229 View Post
Do you have your plastic lawn chairs and traffic cones securing your spot along Fred for the parade?
No, I avoid the parade. Although I heard some people heckled O'Malley a few years ago.
54rndball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 05:23 AM #15

I literally just moved out of Catonsville 3 weeks ago. And I have not heard anything about papa johns getting robbed. Guess living in the burbs of Columbia is where I am going to be staying for now.
Uath CCW
Arizona CCW

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I can't afford to shoot the good stuff. If God had wanted me to reload He wouldn't have invented Commies who manufacture Wolf ammo.

2 is one, 1 is none and three is fun
KCCO
jmike1487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 05:07 AM #16

What's with those really nice houses on the city line on 40? Its like a random neighborhood of old style nice houses. But it's so close to where the blue lights start. My buddy used to live in the apartments down from McDonald's and the tattoo shop. No one called the cops on our rowdy asses and seemed quiet. Well except for us.
Bohlieve410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 06:36 AM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohlieve410 View Post
What's with those really nice houses on the city line on 40? Its like a random neighborhood of old style nice houses. But it's so close to where the blue lights start. My buddy used to live in the apartments down from McDonald's and the tattoo shop. No one called the cops on our rowdy asses and seemed quiet. Well except for us.
Back in the day Catonsville was where the rich folks from the city would retire to for the summer to get away from the heat. Hence the nice houses. We're talking 1890-1930 or so. There are some Really beautiful houses through there, sadly most haven't been kept up.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." -P. Henry c.1788
NHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:03 AM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey0118 View Post

Looks like md is trying hard to copy the progressive success story that is detroit.
That is the idea. Destroy everything. Then rebuild with your own new rules.
FrankOceanXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 04:22 PM #19

It seems to me that Catonsville outside of the beltway and away from Route 40 is fine and a nice area to live. There are natural "no man lands" that disconnects the City from the County. For example, Hospitals and grave yards. Where there aren't the city slowly creeps out. The City has been moving out along Rt40 and Liberty Road...etc for a long time now. So yeah its not great in those areas. However in central Catonsville and over to Arbutus is nice.

That said, I live over by the High School. A while ago we had a guy who stole a car, shot by the police in the act, turn into the HS parking lot and pass out from wound.... My thoughts were as long as the police shoot them before get out my way, I am ok with that... Yes sure I would rather them shoot them dead to avoid the mess on the parking lot and all the fuss but I don't think I can complain that much.

I still think the Catonsville, Arbutus, Linthicum, Elkridge, Ellicott City..etc. area is a nice area to live. Beats the hell out of Columbia and communist HOAs and no chain link fences and no signs and cookie cutter communities and drum circles... ok I could go on for a while on that one. However when I look the rest of places the City Refugees moved to, I still like it the best.

Seems to me every area has its spots to avoid. Catonsville does back up to some bad areas and there is that transition area that is not as nice as the rest of Catonsville. You can almost tell by the house pricing. Better price, worse area. When I think of Catonsville, I think of Frederick Road and Rolling Road, having grown up in Arbutus. Most everywhere along those roads is still pretty nice.
IMBLITZVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 04:38 PM #20
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

I work in Catonsville and most of my partners live here. As mentioned, off Frederick Rd. is a really nice place to live. Cool old homes. A lot of nice people around. There are some areas where it is not so nice....
MSRPA BOD
I touched Heller.....
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland