• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    HA! right. Just keep putting it off, I hate test taking is the main reason. I have the book just need to dig into it a little bit

I came across this the other day. I read it because I thought I might learn something about learning code. It's not strictly amateur radio material but general information on how to study. Supposedly based on neuro-science.

It shot down one of my firmly held beliefs that I best learn from listening to the spoken word. But then again, I always thought that grasping something was not necessarily about not "getting it" as much as finding the right way that it is presented for you, no matter which way that is.

https://qz.com/1377571/heres-how-to-learn-anything-according-to-a-leading-expert/

sbarber7973

Certified Fat Bastard
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hyattsville, MD
    I came across this the other day. I read it because I thought I might learn something about learning code. It's not strictly amateur radio material but general information on how to study. Supposedly based on neuro-science.

It shot down one of my firmly held beliefs that I best learn from listening to the spoken word. But then again, I always thought that grasping something was not necessarily about not "getting it" as much as finding the right way that it is presented for you, no matter which way that is.

https://qz.com/1377571/heres-how-to-learn-anything-according-to-a-leading-expert/ :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :party29:

Thank you! my problem is retaining the information. I will def take that information into consideration... I need all the help I can get lol

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Just use all the methods, read it, write notes, visual, audio. And of course, practice tests on android or the web until your eyes bleed. They will show you where you need to study more.

sbarber7973

Certified Fat Bastard
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hyattsville, MD
    Just use all the methods, read it, write notes, visual, audio. And of course, practice tests on android or the web until your eyes bleed. They will show you where you need to study more.

Thats exactly what I'm going to do, Did a lot of studying to pass my hazmat test for my CDL. That was fun lol

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Not sure if this belongs here or it's own thread, but I feel like I'd get a better response from yous types:

Do you listen to, or know of, any shortwave stations?

I'm having trouble finding a good accurate list from google.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Not sure if this belongs here or it's own thread, but I feel like I'd get a better response from yous types:

Do you listen to, or know of, any shortwave stations?

I'm having trouble finding a good accurate list from google.

I use a German guy's (because you know German's make the best stuff) list: https://www.ilgradio.com/ and import it into Ham Radio Deluxe. It's a paid service but it's got a bizillion entries formatted for various software including HRD. https://www.ilgradio.com/

There's SWLing that's got links:

https://swling.com/FindingStations.htm

But also has a butt load of information.

Last edited:

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Do I apply for approval to keep the one I have? And do I have to worry that October 1 2019 they will come and take it? Oops. Wrong thread...

No, it means you have to start hoarding douchewaffle behavior though by buying a case of them in hopes of doubling your money.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Technician class beginning this Saturday, October 6, 2018 and continuing for 6 weeks at Anne Arundel Radio Club. I didn't see where this was indicated but in the past they have asked that you purchase the ARRL Technician's License Manual which you can find at Amazon (be sure to get the current test pool revision).

Technician License classes starting
    Oct 6, 2018 at 8:30 am
    At the Anne Arundel Radio Club
    Davidsonville Family Recreation Center,
    Davidsonville MD.
    Registration on line or contact
    Keith Miller, AE3D
    AE3D@w3vpr.org

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    No, it means you have to start hoarding douchewaffle behavior though by buying a case of them in hopes of doubling your money.

1. Time to again clarify the definition of "hoarding". Its very hard to find one that includes selling for a large, unreasonable profit. 'Price Gouging' fits that description when used in the context of an emergency or disaster.

2. Shortages occur due to any number of market forces or governmental interventions but can sometimes be predicted based on human behavior.
    For example, calls for gun control and increased gun sales/ammo shortages.

3. Wise, forward-thinking individuals hoard items they feel essential now or in the future. Others don't, then get pissed off when they need the now-in-short-supply items and must pay free market prices

4. When those who 'hope" to double their money fail, what's that called? Old fashioned business RISK. If they're correct, they make money. If not, they're stuck with their money tied up in a product NOT worth double they paid but nobody else loses.

hoard
    Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
    hoard (hôrd)
    n.
    1. A supply or store of something held or hidden for future use.
    2. A collection or supply, as of memories or information, that one keeps to oneself for future use.
    v. hoard·ed, hoard·ing, hoards
    v.tr.
    1. To accumulate a hoard of: hoarded his money in a box under the bed.
    2. To accumulate as much of (something) as one can, as when fearing a shortage.
    3. To keep hidden or private: "the impulse to hoard the raw material of experience and turn it into art" (Bernard Cooper).
    v.intr.
    To gather or accumulate a hoard.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    Any ideas of a good tutorial for the Baofeng. I seem to need more information as it refuses accept my program instructions. UHF works but won't set in memory for starters. Im sure I have other problems I haven't reached yet.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Any ideas of a good tutorial for the Baofeng. I seem to need more information as it refuses accept my program instructions. UHF works but won't set in memory for starters. Im sure I have other problems I haven't reached yet.

Get Chirp. It's freeware. It works with Windows and Linux. You don't say which model Baofeng you have but it works with UV5R and variants of that as well as others.

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

You need a USB to 2.5mm/3.5mm (mike/earphone) cable. Get one with the FTDI chip. Such as:

https://smile.amazon.com/d/Two-Way-Radios/PC03-Genuine-Programming-Cable-BaoFeng/B00HUB0ONK

Last, here is a how-to by hand. I have not followed it so I don't know if it's good or not. The first thing he has you do is factory reset it, which I have done once to fix an issue but it will wipe out any setting you do have including the language choice and set it to Chinese.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/w7dtguv5rprogramming.html

Other cables with the knock off chips are cheaper but if you have problems you will find yourself fighting whether it's the cable or the program/radio.

Make a backup of the configuration of the radio first, always when you begin. Yes, even out-of-the-box.

Here's a couple of tutorials:

https://geekprepper.com/program-a-baofeng-radio-with-chirp/

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    This is my third try at a baofeng. The UV-5 went back for not accessing repeaters. The UV-8HP went back for that reason and not transmitting on high power.This is the UV82HP. I think I'm getting it working with repeaters and the GMRS. There seems to be a glitch that blocks audio for some of the UHF frequencies. But it's starting to look promising.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    This is my third try at a baofeng. The UV-5 went back for not accessing repeaters. The UV-8HP went back for that reason and not transmitting on high power.This is the UV82HP. I think I'm getting it working with repeaters and the GMRS. There seems to be a glitch that blocks audio for some of the UHF frequencies. But it's starting to look promising.

I've got an embarrassing number of Baofengs including UV5Rs and I haven't had any problems accessing Amateur repeaters but like I said, I program them with Chirp.

Last edited:

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    I'm looking at this radio on Amazon.
    The plan is to use around the farm and work( marine traffic) and some PP events.
    Any thoughts on the unit vs a unit costing less?
    I know there have been some sales of these and allot cheaper prices.
    I would like to spend less of course but I need these functions!

Now this some possible units not being able to be imported I would like to buy reasonably soon.

BaoFeng BF-F8HP

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MAULSOK/ref=ox_sc_act_image_6?smid=AA3MGRC7F9EI2&psc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom