May 22, 2005
    This bill is a dead man walking.

Not going to happen this year.

Nbruno

Laker101
    Feb 13, 2012
    Lutherville, md
    Side arm for bear???

Not to downplay the right to carry a firearm, which I strongly believe in, but statistics have shown that Bear Spray is far more effective at stopping a charging bear (93%) than a handgun (7%). I would prefer to have both available of course.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Not that I have a problem with carrying a backup as I'd certainly like to but a real good, solid bow for deer is likely to be sufficient for dispatching a black bear, though I certainly wouldn't want to have to prove my marksmanship with one charging me!
    If I can place a good shot on a bear with my crossbow or compound bow, I'm sure that it would die, but not immediately. I think I'd really anger the bear and it would do a pretty good job of mauling me first.

I've seen black beers while fishing off of a dock in a cove at Deep Creek Lake. They sometimes go around each of the docks and then head up to the cabins, looking for food in the trash cans. Loud noises tend to scare them off.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Well all I can say is I hope that everyone never runs onto a sow with cubs, you might as well spray yourself with the bear spray cause she won't stop for it or screaming or your bow or crossbow.....just saying.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    There are statistics...and then there are misinterpreted statistics or statistics that are wildly skewed.

Some of the bear spray vs. handgun stats are a little shaky, just on the basis of how they were compiled. A lot of people who carry bear spray, aren't very familiar with handguns; so it only stands to reason, they have a better chance of using a spray can correctly, than a handgun that they don't practice with often.

Most guys on this forum would be better with the handgun, simply because they're familiar with it and practice with it. Also, bear spray doesn't work well in windy conditions, AND has been shown to serve as an attractant (it's pepper, after all).

I go up to Alaska every year (was born there and my Mom and sisters moved back there years ago), and hunt about every other year. About 6-7 years ago, a man in his mid-50s was taking his normal walk on a paved trail near Elmendorf AFB on the north side of Anchorage, when a grizzly bear charged out of the woods about 30 yards away. The man happened to be a competitive shooter, and was carrying his .44 Magnum that day; he got a shot into the bear that turned the charge to the side, and then put 4 more rounds into the grizzly, killing it. My guess is he's probably never carried bear spray on his walks.

Same thing for arrows - they'll kill a black bear, but won't stop a charging blackie from taking a piece out of you before dying - IF you can hit a charging bear in the vitals with a bow. Better to have a handgun, and take out the spine or skull if you can.

Just my 2 cents, worth what you paid for it...

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Knowing this state if you were attacked by a bear and ended up killing it to save your own life you would then face multiple charges and probably lose your right to ever hunt or even own a firearm again.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Not to downplay the right to carry a firearm, which I strongly believe in, but statistics have shown that Bear Spray is far more effective at stopping a charging bear (93%) than a handgun (7%). I would prefer to have both available of course.

Unless the wind is in your face, then you are just seasoning yourself for the bear.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Most bears Ive run into/seen - go the other way when they see you. About the only time you need to worry - if its a mom with cubs, and your a threat to the cubs. But most bowhunters hunt in trees, so rarely is that an issue.

Black bears in this area are not like Grizzly & browns, who want your fish, while fishing. You get a few nuisance bears, but most just want garbage or the occasional livestock - but if they see you, they go away.

I really dont even see the point of having this law in MD. Not to mention all the anti gun liberals will just shit there pants, and pass laws to squash it anyways.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    How much of this is about hunters being safe from bears...and how much of it is about people just wanting a legal excuse in MD to carry guns?

Attachments

• bear_sign_funny.jpg
      bear_sign_funny.jpg
      71.3 KB · Views: 181

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Most bears Ive run into/seen - go the other way when they see you. About the only time you need to worry - if its a mom with cubs, and your a threat to the cubs. But most bowhunters hunt in trees, so rarely is that an issue.

Black bears in this area are not like Grizzly & browns, who want your fish, while fishing. You get a few nuisance bears, but most just want garbage or the occasional livestock - but if they see you, they go away.

I really dont even see the point of having this law in MD. Not to mention all the anti gun liberals will just shit there pants, and pass laws to squash it anyways.

I encountered a mom and her cubs in New Germany while trout fishing, they ran like hell . Beautiful creatures, but want to avoid u like u want to avoid them. The guy one site down was grilling hotdogs but the bears wanted nothing to do with them. I hunted up there for 4 years and lived up there for 5 with no issues. I can even actually say ive encountered a mountain lion with no issues.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Dang, where was that? I think I'd $hit myself if I saw one of those out-n-about if unarmed!

Little Orleans and I had a 22 it was more interested in the rabbit hanging from its mouth. Funny story actually but for a later time.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Ive posted these pics on this web site a few times(pics below). I took them in the woods by my house maybe 100 yards in. It was both a mom, and what looks to be a 2 year old young (cubs stay with mom for 2 years) The mom is pretty big, and I still see it from time to time. Both of them took off running the moment they spotted me. Taking a pic of black bears can be pretty hard to do sometimes, because the moment they see you - they scram. Ive had a bear in the back of my pick up truck a few years ago. I had garbage in the bed, that I was going to throw out the next day - here a bear went in the back of my truck took the garbage, and spread it allover the lawn. I know it was black bear, because it had a big muddy footprint on the flare of the stepside ,and in the bed itself (almost looks like a humans foot print) The next day I went to clean up the garbage, and here I see a big black bear in the lot in front of me - again it jetted into the woods.

I have heard from a few hunters I know, that have problems with them attacking trail cams. They seem to be annoyed by the flash or something.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    OL lady woke me up one morning telling me I better get him off the porch. Being only half awake I thought she meant someone. I walk to the door, and look out, and see this bear on my porch, in the trash can. She asked what i was gonna do, and I told her the same thing you was doing...bang on the glass. He walked off the porch and into the yard. Grabbed a jug and was on his way so I thought.

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

Then he went a few more feet, and laid down with his new jug..lol

DSC00012.jpg

I figured I'd be safe to open the door, so I did, and yelled at him a bit thinking it'd scare him off. Well, it stood up and started walkin right back to me. I told him I didnt have much else to say, and went back in lol.
    Needless to say, he eventually left and kept coming back to all the houses, even breaking in to the neighbors patio and getting into their freezer, trashed the screen door, etc. DNR was called by several, and they said "your just gonna have to live with the bears"....

If I'd see him again, it'll be its last. That bear wasnt the least bit afraid of me. I have young kids and they dont have to learn to live with em. ;)

thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County
    I can even actually say ive encountered a mountain lion with no issues.
    Dang, where was that? I think I'd $hit myself if I saw one of those out-n-about if unarmed!

I grew up in Colorado and went to school in NM. I did a lot of hiking/camping/backpacking back then, and have run into lots of things but never seen a mountain lion. I've run into deer, elk, big horn sheep, mountain goat, and black bear, but never saw a mountain lion. The scary part is that I KNOW they were around. I have friends that hunted and killed them in the same areas I backpacked. Heck, in the winter there were stories of them coming into town and killing dogs. You may not see them, but they see you. Generally if there are mountain lion attacks, the person has no warning until the cat hits them. That's just how ambush predators roll. ;) Luckily, cats are pretty wary of people and stay away from us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom