• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I just recently got an Omega that was a year old and only been shot a couple times. I've been hunting for many years but this is my first muzzleloader. I'm going to shoot it for the first time in a few weeks. I've heard two 50 gr. pellets with various brands of 250 gr. sabot is a good load for the gun. Anybody have any experience with the Omega?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I can touch bullets with Hornady 250gr SST sabots and (2) 50 grain pellets at 100 yards, very accruate. The bullets expand well, but doesn't flop the deer like my .270 wsm or .308, usually they are with in 25-30 yrds of the shot though.

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    I can touch bullets with Hornady 250gr SST sabots and (2) 50 grain pellets at 100 yards, very accruate. The bullets expand well, but doesn't flop the deer like my .270 wsm or .308, usually they are with in 25-30 yrds of the shot though.

bout the same with the shockwave, now the barnes expander will put them down but not quite as accurate.

this year i used 150 grain and did not lose much accuracy at all but the one i shot was a heart shot he went maybe 1o yards

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Im a big fan of loose powder for inlines. You may want to try to experiment with different powder loads to see what shoots the best in your Omega. Obviously keep the powder load within the guns recommended charge.

The pellets are a nice convience - but you pay for convience too. Loose powder lets you use incriments that you cannot obtain with pellets-since most are usally in 50 grain incriments. You get more bang out of 1lb can of Pyrodex too!

Get yourself a decent powder measure too. There pretty simple to use.

As far as fast loadings go - for out in the field, you can either buy speedloaders - or make your own. I use those M&M minis plastic tubes (and you get to eat some candy to get them!) You can measure your needed charge ahead of time, and dump them in those tubes, and snap the tops shut. The tubes fit nicely in your possibles bag! When you need a charge just flip open the top, and dump it into the muzzle.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    mine is dead on at 100 with 2 50 grain pellets and tc shockwave 250 grain sabot

Pretty much the same here. I've been using 90gr of 777 and a 250 Thompson Shockwave sabot for several years in my TC Omega. Best load for it.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Welcome to the dark side of shooting! Damifinowfish got me into black powder a few months ago. Once I tried it, I was hooked! It is a lot of fun shooting steel clangers with it. Congratulations!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have the Omega Z, I use 777 powder and pellets...separately...lol I do like the powder better. I use a 777 primer as well. I have had no misfires. The 777 powder cleans up with water or you can swab with some saliva on a cleaning patch in a pinch. But usually you can run 3 shots and then clean the bore/breach. I shot a doe last year with an expanding bullet but the bullet didnt really have time to expand IMO...she ran about 40yds and dropped. I use these now and both deer I shot this year dropped in their tracks!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...dNav&WTz_stype=GNU&WTz_l=Unknown;cat104547780

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I have an Omega and I shoot 105 grains of Blackhorn 209 behind a 250gr Barnes Expander. Very accurate and does serious damage on deer. I gave up on pellets about 4 years ago. The economy just wasn't there. As others have said, with loose powder you can figure out the load that works best with your gun for a particular bullet. Blackhorn 209 is also very easy to cleanup and, in my experience, lets you shoot more consecutive shots without cleaning the barrel. This doesn't matter while hunting, but is nice when sighting in or just shooting at the range.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    General consensus from what I see here about the Omega;

100gr powder + 250gr bullet = dead deer

:thumbsup:

JWBanshee

Jul 1, 2009
    I have an Omega and use 100gr of BH 209 and a 295 Grain Harvester Sabot. Shoots great. The BH clweans up great and you can shoot alot before you need to run a patch thru the gun.
    JW

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom