• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Middleman

Sep 25, 2020
    So we plan on taking the pistol with us and are heading to the eastern shore with a 4 day stop in Saint Michael’s.The lace we are staying at there say a firearm in the room is no problem. From Saint Michael’s we head to family property to shoot for the weekend. I’ve read that Maryland does consider a rented room as your home. Does anyone have an opinion on this.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Legally, I couldn't tell you.

But I think the "better to be judged by twelve than carried by six" principle applies.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    So we plan on taking the pistol with us and are heading to the eastern shore with a 4 day stop in Saint Michael’s.The lace we are staying at there say a firearm in the room is no problem. From Saint Michael’s we head to family property to shoot for the weekend. I’ve read that Maryland does consider a rented room as your home. Does anyone have an opinion on this.

Well, technically you are still in transit to a shooting event, so that is legal in Maryland, regarding the movement of a firearm; to and from your regular home.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Transporting from home to hotel to family property is fine. It is the restaurants, gas stations, etc. along the way that are gray areas as to being legal.

I thought there was an AG letter of interpretation on this?

That stops along the way, for short periods, and basically on the normal route were OK.

So home to range with a stop for lunch would be, if on the way. So HarCo to AGC with lunch in Towson area would be OK. But HarCo to AGC and having lunch in Waldorf would not be OK.

bob finger

Jul 24, 2016
    Lots of advice, most of it wrong.

MD law, as I understand it that if you do NOT have a carry permit a regulated firearm can only be transported directly from your home to the range/an FFL dealer etc. by the most direct route. You may NOT stop for gas, lunch, site seeing etc.
    I normally use my MD regulated fire arms in DE. I wait until I get into DE to stop for anything. Sure it hurts MD businesses, but I don't want to be illegal.
    When I take them to my MD club I take a chance when I drive the back roads rather than the "most direct" route even when the back roads are less miles than "direct".

Will anyone know? Probably not unless you give the Govt a reason to stop and discuss things with you.

On the ES you probably will not encounter any problems. That said knowing the law is the only way to fully protect yourself. Someone here will post the exact law reference. I don't have it in front of me. And MSP have their own unwritten interpretations, so beware. bob

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick

MD law, as I understand it that if you do NOT have a carry permit a regulated firearm can only be transported directly from your home to the range/an FFL dealer etc. by the most direct route. You may NOT stop for gas, lunch, site seeing etc.
    I normally use my MD regulated fire arms in DE. I wait until I get into DE to stop for anything. Sure it hurts MD businesses, but I don't want to be illegal.
    When I take them to my MD club I take a chance when I drive the back roads rather than the "most direct" route even when the back roads are less miles than "direct".

Will anyone know? Probably not unless you give the Govt a reason to stop and discuss things with you.

On the ES you probably will not encounter any problems. That said knowing the law is the only way to fully protect yourself. Someone here will post the exact law reference. I don't have it in front of me. And MSP have their own unwritten interpretations, so beware. bob

If you don't know, then how do you know most of it is wrong. I believe most of what you have posted is wrong. Further, if I'm wrong, I don't care. Anywhere I lay my head that night is my home, I challenge the state to prove otherwise.

To the OP, the only issue I see is you said "we" are taking "the" pistol. The only obvious concern is that you don't have enough pistols.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

MD law, as I understand

You understand it wrong, add yourself to your list of "most of it wrong."

it that if you do NOT have a carry permit a regulated firearm can only be transported directly from your home to the range/an FFL dealer etc. by the most direct route. You may NOT stop for gas, lunch, site seeing etc.

Incorrect, you may stop for gas or a bite to eat.

BGOS much??

No where in state statute is the word "direct" in it, stop using that word, and giving incorrect advise.

And it shows that you don't know it, given what you have stated above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom