• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Well it happened. Someone let me shoot their SBH over the Christmas break and that’s all it took. I’m taking possession of a New Model SBH Hunter in two weeks time and I have one question :

What grips do people prefer? The .44 I shot had large wooden target grips and it felt like a ***** cat with them. I’m not too worried about the overall “beauty factor” of the gun. I’ve heard good things about the Hogue Mono grips in my reading today.

What say you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Well it happened. Someone let me shoot their SBH over the Christmas break and that’s all it took. I’m taking possession of a New Model SBH Hunter in two weeks time and I have one question :

What grips do people prefer? The .44 I shot had large wooden target grips and it felt like a ***** cat with them. I’m not too worried about the overall “beauty factor” of the gun. I’ve heard good things about the Hogue Mono grips in my reading today.

What say you!

Regular grip shape or Bisley?

signature

Jan 16, 2013
    I have the super Blackhawk hunter in 44 mag. Bisley grip. The grip is a little longer and feels better in my hand. My pinky finger hung off of the plow style grip. I feel like I have better control with the Bisley. Love shooting it. It shoots well. My finger does get banged around by the trigger guard if im not right up on guard. Many options for replacement grips for the plow handle style grip. I over tightened my grips and cracked one panel. I cant find anything to replace them. The hunter has a round trigger guard. It seems to be the problem finding replacement grips.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I had the big hogue rubber grips with the finger grooves. Mine was a 6.5" 41 mag i sold to a member here years back. I killed 2 deer with it one was at 54yards. Shot flatter than the 44 mag it replaced at logical distances and only gave up something like .10 in bore diameter. Most dont realize that 44 they are packing is really a 43.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Their is a key difference between the Hunter, and the regular SBH, the shape of the grip frame . It is unique to the SBH Hunter . The trigger gaurd is round instead of squareback . Some people ( me ) get rapped on the knuckle with heavy loads , this eliminates that . But the Hunter has the longer grip frame, and uses the same size panels as regular SBH , so all the fingers will fit . ( I don't mind the pinky curled under , but with the Hunter no potential issue .)

The stock grips actually work well * as long as you realize how a SA is supposed to work * .

Regular vs Bisley - Yes , in the absolute sense , the Bisley better handles extreme recoil . But the dividing line is very subjective . Meanwhile , for me, and for at least 2/3 of users who express an opinion , the Regular points and handles more naturally .

* For Me * , the regular grip is no problem up thru +/- Factory level 240gr .44mag, but Bisley is preferable with 300gr plus " Ruger Only" .45 . YMMV .

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Their is a key difference between the Hunter, and the regular SBH, the shape of the grip frame . It is unique to the SBH Hunter . The trigger gaurd is round instead of squareback . Some people ( me ) get rapped on the knuckle with heavy loads , this eliminates that . But the Hunter has the longer grip frame, and uses the same size panels as regular SBH , so all the fingers will fit . ( I don't mind the pinky curled under , but with the Hunter no potential issue .)

The stock grips actually work well * as long as you realize how a SA is supposed to work * .

Regular vs Bisley - Yes , in the absolute sense , the Bisley better handles extreme recoil . But the dividing line is very subjective . Meanwhile , for me, and for at least 2/3 of users who express an opinion , the Regular points and handles more naturally .

* For Me * , the regular grip is no problem up thru +/- Factory level 240gr .44mag, but Bisley is preferable with 300gr plus " Ruger Only" .45 . YMMV .

That’s great information thank you! I’ll give it a whirl with the factory panels and see how I like it. Just let that puppy bend your elbows, no worries!

When you’re saying know how to shoot SA, what are you speaking about? Both my SA’s are lighter shooting than a .44 mag (.357 and .44 BP). When I fired the .44 over break, I just kept my elbows loose and bent pointing outwards if you will. When I fired it pushed my arms up rather than abuse my wrists. Please clarify if you mean otherwise. I am all ears!

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I have a 5.5" SBH in .44mag with small plow handle. I prefer standard wood grips over rubber for SAs, as they allow the gun to roll and lessen felt recoil. I feel like the Bisley grip is similar to DAs in that your hand absorbs more. Of course under extreme recoil, the rolling effect could be excessive and even cause hammer bite. I also like the compactness of the plow handle and how naturally it points.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The rolling action of a SA revolver is indeed a characteristic inherent to its grip design. But it’s foreign and it feels unnatural and sacrificing of control to many, especially those who otherwise cut their teeth on pistols, or on double action revolvers. The tendency is to want to try to overpower the revolvers natural rolling design tendencies.

Many who wish to change grips simply don’t like and perhaps never will like the rolling single action feel of a hard recoiling single action handgun. The feel is indeed different, and is arguably an acquired taste.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    The rolling action of a SA revolver is indeed a characteristic inherent to its grip design. But it’s foreign and it feels unnatural and sacrificing of control to many, especially those who otherwise cut their teeth on pistols, or on double action revolvers. The tendency is to want to try to overpower the revolvers natural rolling design tendencies.

Many who wish to change grips simply don’t like and perhaps never will like the rolling single action feel of a hard recoiling single action handgun. The feel is indeed different, and is arguably an acquired taste.

Than stock grips will be for me! I just didn’t know reading a bunch of nonsense online !!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Than stock grips will be for me! I just didn’t know reading a bunch of nonsense online !!

Initially at least, yes I’d argue is probably the right answer. They work for me. Even more so than most, one thing you’ll notice is that the grips on the SBH HUNTER are not only smooth, but smooth to the point of feeling somewhat slick. This only enhances the roll that is inherent to the design.

I think your mention of the internet is spot on. This is truly something where you’ll only truly know....,once you give it a go. It’s hard to describe adequately by reading about it, but the “A HA” moment arrives quickly, once you’re actually shooting one.

On a different note, but worth mentioning perhaps. That SBH Hunter is one seriously accurate handgun. I hope you enjoy it!

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    How a grip feels in one's hands on recoil is very subjective, and will vary depending on hand size, grip size and shape, grip strength, caliber, load, barrel length, etc., etc., etc. A while back I had a 7 1/2" SBH with plow handle and thought it was OK, but these days I have a couple of Bisleys which I find more comfortable to shoot even though the barrels are only 5 1/2". If you shot your friend's revolver and it felt fine, I'd say stick to that. The plow handle is more common and cheaper than the Bisley. Don't lock your elbows and roll with the punches!

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Initially at least, yes I’d argue is probably the right answer. They work for me. Even more so than most, one thing you’ll notice is that the grips on the SBH HUNTER are not only smooth, but smooth to the point of feeling somewhat slick. This only enhances the roll that is inherent to the design.

I think your mention of the internet is spot on. This is truly something where you’ll only truly know....,once you give it a go. It’s hard to describe adequately by reading about it, but the “A HA” moment arrives quickly, once you’re actually shooting one.

On a different note, but worth mentioning perhaps. That SBH Hunter is one seriously accurate handgun. I hope you enjoy it!

I’m pretty pumped!
    So down here in NC if you don’t have a state issued Carry Permit (I have Utah) then you have to fill out a pistol purchase permit and pay $5 to the Sheriffs Office and wait two weeks. Inconvenient at first during the wait. But. It’s cash and carry no paper work with the permit. Also allows you to do face to face transfer of handguns. When I do my swap in two weeks or so time, I’ll still retain my Pistol Purchase Permit.
    I was pissed when I first heard of this. But. When I DO get my NC ccw, everything is cash and carry for me.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    How a grip feels in one's hands on recoil is very subjective, and will vary depending on hand size, grip size and shape, grip strength, caliber, load, barrel length, etc., etc., etc. A while back I had a 7 1/2" SBH with plow handle and thought it was OK, but these days I have a couple of Bisleys which I find more comfortable to shoot even though the barrels are only 5 1/2". If you shot your friend's revolver and it felt fine, I'd say stick to that. The plow handle is more common and cheaper than the Bisley. Don't lock your elbows and roll with the punches!

I was surprised how loose I held my body shooting it! I’d seen it done but no one told me to. I got lucky!!
    It’s such a nice push, much more pleasant to me than even .45 and that’s hardly any recoil too. I say pleasant while maintain the knowledge that it’s different. I like big calibers so this is the natural progression

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I’ve had my Super for almost 39 years. Know how to shoot a single action revolvr. I have tried several different grips to shoot it, not look at it. I tried some that look nice. I still use those ugly Pachmyers. At this point in time I don’t entertain thoughts of changing them for any grip. YMMV

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Pachmayr rubber ones on 2, oversize wood grips on other
    other factory grip...got big hands....soo..

love full house loads.... nice charge of 2400
    more recoil the better...

-Rock

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County

What say you!

I prefer the Bisley grips in general, but the Hogue ones work well. I did notice the rubber Monogrip was a bit thinner than the wood version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom