• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Yeah, uh ... needed to take a nap yesterday after all that breaking-leather.

Attachments

• 20210606_123744.jpg
      20210606_123744.jpg
      88.8 KB · Views: 311

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    I was planning to leave the 9" blade in its original packaging. It's a gift for my father. But I noticed a little surface discoloration ...

A quick trip to the scotchbrite pad, followed by a linnishing with WD-40 and triple-aught steel wool made it right as rain.

Attachments

• 20210606_161521.jpg
      20210606_161521.jpg
      51.1 KB · Views: 295
    • 20210606_162252.jpg
      20210606_162252.jpg
      87.5 KB · Views: 296

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    This is a feeler question -

Is anyone interested in a full tang, heavy duty grind Ek Chirra? I am thinking I’d like to trade it for a traditional hawk / hatchet. I’ll be upfront, I have USED this blade. It has taken everything I’ve thrown at it and asked for more.

64ecad1cf68ec13c424db971922b68f4.jpg

Should add that it is a 15” model. Would cost $192 before shipping for new. Metal and fit is perfect. She’s just been used the way it should. Left handed Western sheath, edge is dirty from use but not damaged. I would consider selling out right too at a much reducers price. I am after a Colonial style throwing Hawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    My custom design showed up today! Didn’t even know it was headed to me! I’m going to get some good photos of it later today so stay tuned. The idea of the knife was a basic utility knife commonly found across cultures in the 18th-19th century. My specs came from a Qing knife housed in the Smithsonian. See below -

6847e30feef34a0aa9ddd9b7d24d244c.jpg

On the blade, they nailed the lines perfectly. It’s a wonderful piece done in the Kailash flavor. They treated me to a very interesting piece of horn. Forced patina. No maker’s marks on the blade per my request.

The sheath was a big time issue though. That art of past cultures is very hard to replicate today. Mine is constructed of rosewood with brass bands. It’s made in an interesting style I suppose is Native to their craftsman. They tried multiple time to construct it themselves. However they were not set up properly for the sheath work. It was made by a local artisan to them. I’m very pleased once again by them! My first custom! It took over a year because of COVID and them fixing things they were not satisfied with. Every time I got an email saying - hey we haven’t forgotten, we want to do X better.
    I just told them do your thing. I trust you. Andrew and Bisnu are always terrific to deal with.

Pics inbound later today / tonight!

- Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Forgive me if this has been answered. Since these blades aren't stainless, what's the maintenance like to prevent rust?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Forgive me if this has been answered. Since these blades aren't stainless, what's the maintenance like to prevent rust?

I treat various metal objects with Eezox - it's both a solvent/cleaner and rust inhibitor.

If it's going into the safe for an interminable period, a coat of Renaissance Wax is not a bad idea.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Lol, I was wondering why mine have rusted so badly. They've been sitting in the sheath and only oiled once, ever since I bought them a few years ago....

This post made me look at mine, also been in a sheath for at least a year. Luckily mine haven't rusted (maybe due to less humidity)?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Last century kukhris - and most serious edged weapons - were stored in sheaths with carved wood liners. The dry wood would protect the blade and the carrier without causing rust issues.

Tanned leather contains stuff you don't want in contact with metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom