• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Hi gents. I'm looking for a basic scope for a 10/22 takedown. I want to stay at 120 or less as this is really just for plinking fun. 2 scopes that were recommended are the Simmons 22 Mag Rimfire Rifle Scope 4x 32mm Truplex Reticle with Rings and the Athlon Optics Neos Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm BDC 22 Rimfire. They have a significant (to me) price difference. One being 45 the other being 110. Any opinions on these 2 scopes specifically?

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I have 2 of the Simmons 22 Mag 4X scopes - they are mounted on Marlin 795s and I got them for $30. There is a little bit about it in this review: https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=54812.0.

Pros: Cheap! Lightweight. I liked fixed low power scopes for rimfire because you are typically shooting at relatively short (or fixed distances in the case of Appleseed). Good eye relief. Other instructors and shooters use these Simmons scopes to good effect for many many years. Cheap!

Cons: They are darker than a scope with better glass. Tracking is just ok - more of a set it and forget it scope for plinking. On one of my scopes, that is pretty lightly used, the reticle wires went screwy - instead of being a cross hairs, it has a weird jog to it. I can send a picture if you care to see it. Some of the lowest Midway reviews cite the same thing or when it would just suddenly break with 22LR recoil. So, Cheap...

I have also used the Simmons .22 Mag Rimfire 3-9x32mm Truplex - it was dark but plenty good for 25 yards and was $40 with rings at one point.

For what you want to do, it is a fine scope. Though a takedown may be bumped/dropped more than another rifle, worse case, you could buy 3 of the Simmons within your budget. But something to think about.

Can't comment on the Athlon specifically. But though I have a couple of Simmons 4x scopes, I prefer $100+ scopes, even for rimfire - including the Primary Arms Classic 6X (https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-6x-scope-with-the-patented-acss-22lr-reticle).

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    In your stated price range, I'd be looking at this scope from Bushnell. It is a manufacturer closeout. Has 70moa adjustability, and is parallax adjustable down to 15 yards, which is nice. Korean made instead of Chicom. Lifetime warranty if you take a chance and there's a problem.

I think you'd find this scope to be a better value than the Simmons. Not familiar with Athlon myself.

Visit Natchez.com and find the Bushnell Prime 3.5x10x36. 76 bucks on sale.

HOPEFULLY a working link below. Was for some reason getting a 404 error.

https://outdoors.natchezss.com/bestsellers/Bushnell-Prime-3.5--10x36

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I have always wanted to try that Bushnell Prime scope - at $75 on sale (half price), it seems like a killer deal, particularly with the adjustable objective. Only bad thing I see in reviews is failure of the adjustment turrets. But, again, maybe worth rolling the dice at the price.

warmachine

... AS LONG AS THEY FEAR
    Jan 20, 2013
    FOB PUFFY
    I am another fan of the bushnell for that price. I also ran a tr25 for awhile on a 10/22 takedown and it was minute of squirrel.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Scoping a 22 like the 10/22 I prefer to stay away from the larger objective scopes because of size....it is a 22 carbine. I like the 32mm objective lenses. The smaller 2-7 variables seem good size.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Since this is for a 10/22 Takedown, and your intent is for plinking, I suggest a red dot of some sort.

I bought a Takedown 10/22 a good while back, and put a Picatinny rail and a compact Nikon BDC scope on it.
    I wound up taking it right back off, because the daggon receiver assembly wouldn't fit back in the backpack/case!!!!!

I wound up buying a Bushnell red dot/green dot.
    I've now got several of these on different set-ups.

This MAY now be discontinued, but, it works GREAT on this 10/22 Takedown.

https://www.natchezss.com/bushnell-...1x28mm-4-dial-in-red-green-reticle-matte.html

(I've also got this same optic on a 20 ga shotgun that I set up for my youngest son, for turkey hunting.)

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I don't want a red dot on the rifle so i'm going to investigate the Bushnell. Still would like to know if anyone has experience with any Athlon optics.:confused:

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    What about a Bug Buster scope? They are about $100. and can be left on the receiver while it's stored in the carry bag. It comes with QR rings if you don't want to leave the scope on for storage.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    What about a Bug Buster scope? They are about $100. and can be left on the receiver while it's stored in the carry bag. It comes with QR rings if you don't want to leave the scope on for storage.

I put the Bug Buster on my 10/22 Take Down and it has never failed me. I would recommend it as a low cost scope that offers the flexibility of being removed easily.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    For any thing less than $200 it’s hard to beat the BSA Sweet

I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned sooner

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    There is/was a Weaver Classic for sale in the classifieds. Those are very good scopes made by Light Optic Works in Japan (they also make Night Force). I'd rather have that all day every day over any of the Chinese/Philippine offerings.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have both 3-9x40 Sweet 22 and 6-18x40 ones. The BDC turrets work decently well although they are designed to shoot from 75-175 yards mostly. I add marks to the turrets for distances under 50 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom