Price difference between two reticles of same scope, Vortex Viper HS BDC vs Vplex

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Does anyone have any understanding as to why there is a $240 price difference in MSRP between the BDC reticle vs the Vplex (duplex style) of the Viper HS 4-16x44? Otherwise an identical scope.

I picked up a Vplex version on black friday sale on Midway for $299. The BDC is considerably more.

I understand that the BDC reticle is more versatile and overall more popular, but does that explain a $240 price difference?

You can toggle between the reticle options in the product listing below and see for yourself.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-viper-hs-4-16x44-riflescope.html?vortex_reticle=978

Since this is going on a dedicated deer rifle, I enjoy a simple duplex style reticle, but I'm curious what gives?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Does anyone have any understanding as to why there is a $240 price difference in MSRP between the BDC reticle vs the Vplex (duplex style) of the Viper HS 4-16x44? Otherwise an identical scope.

I picked up a Vplex version on black friday sale on Midway for $299. The BDC is considerably more.

I understand that the BDC reticle is more versatile and overall more popular, but does that explain a $240 price difference?

You can toggle between the reticle options in the product listing below and see for yourself.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-viper-hs-4-16x44-riflescope.html?vortex_reticle=978

Since this is going on a dedicated deer rifle, I enjoy a simple duplex style reticle, but I'm curious what gives?

BDC reticle is etched from the blood of a high elf.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    They had an abundant stock of the Vplex and the BDC version is selling well without a sale price.

I think this as well.

Works the other way too, with some probable correlation between reticle and magnification range.

The last of the Weaver Grand Slams included the 2x8x36, which was available in 3 different reticle configurations. Nice scopes for the money. With those, it was the standard crosshair that sold out last, and for a significant price premium over the other two. In the higher end Grand Slam magnifications, straight crosshair was discounted the most, and even so was the last configuration available.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I think this as well.

Works the other way too, with some probable correlation between reticle and magnification range.

The last of the Weaver Grand Slams included the 2x8x36, which was available in 3 different reticle configurations. Nice scopes for the money. With those, it was the standard crosshair that sold out last, and for a significant price premium over the other two. In the higher end Grand Slam magnifications, straight crosshair was discounted the most, and even so was the last configuration available.

I bought one of the Grand Slams when they were on clearance from SWFA over ten years ago. Great Japanese made scopes; my step dad has had it on loan w/ a Fulton built upper for the past 6 or 7 years, I'll probably never see it again.

The reticle in question may also be licensed which could drive up the cost.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I bought one of the Grand Slams when they were on clearance from SWFA over ten years ago. Great Japanese made scopes; my step dad has had it on loan w/ a Fulton built upper for the past 6 or 7 years, I'll probably never see it again.

The reticle in question may also be licensed which could drive up the cost.

Yep. Light Optical Works in Japan. They've had involvement with the Vortex Viper as well, along with a number of the higher end Bushnells amongst others over the years.

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    They had an abundant stock of the Vplex and the BDC version is selling well without a sale price.
    And I think that long range shooting has gotten a lot more popular - or at least the idea that you might do it at some point... Just look at the flat shooting "newer" magnum rounds or 6.5 creed taking off at least in part because of a lot of talk about long range.

So I think (whether it'll ever actually get used for the purpose or not, like a Jeep) people like the idea of the BDC just in case...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom