• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Question for the brain trust. Does anyone have a line on the aforementioned holster? I have a G19 frame Poly80 and am re-doing my “rapid response” kit at the moment. Any help is welcome! A lefty variant is required!

096cda12557afbb4d996d706f31b9788.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Friends don't let friends use SERPAs: https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/the-serpa-compendium

Would strongly suggest a GLS or an Omnivore if you need some sort of active retention on the cheap. Both of them work fine with my PF940.

Cheap isn’t a concern. I’m looking for a good duty holster. Retention is somewhat of a desire due to unknown conditions that could arise. I like to play all scenarios out in my head. I will look at what you mentioned, thanks!!

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    If I'm not mistaken OP, you're looking for OWB with level 3 retention and I did some looking not too long ago for the same thing and I was unsuccessful.

Good luck; subscribed so please update if you're successful.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    If I'm not mistaken OP, you're looking for OWB with level 3 retention and I did some looking not too long ago for the same thing and I was unsuccessful.

Good luck; subscribed so please update if you're successful.

I know!!
    I think I’m going to land on that M2. As I said, I have one of their creations already and it’s fantastic

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Safariland GLS
    I love the hell out of these. If you get the "long normal" and "long wide" versions, they can accommodate almost any pistol out there. The locking is not good enough to stand up to a snatch and grab (too easy to disable!), but for just running with guns at a class or match, there's nothing better.

The Omnivore is better for active retention if you expect a snatch and grab, IMHO. It is probably a little meh against twist-off attacks.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Look at R&R Holsters. I got a great fitting(for p80 G19) OWB kydex holster. $35 on Ebay.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Friends don't let friends use SERPAs: https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/the-serpa-compendium

Would strongly suggest a GLS or an Omnivore if you need some sort of active retention on the cheap. Both of them work fine with my PF940.

This is ********.

The finger isn't meant to "push" the retention button in. That's the problem and it blows my fvcking mind that anyone with a scintilla of training falls for this crap.
    Let me ask this.... when you draw from a regular holster, what is your finger doing? It's just pointing, flat, to stay outside the trigger guard when you're ready to fire. Same with the Serpa.

The finger isn't meant to dig into that press. I am not sure why people think this is meant to happen anyway?
    It stays flat to just slide over the button on the draw.
    The Serpa is one of THE BEST holsters out there. The paddle is amazing. That paddle piece is as big as a wagon wheel and is the sturdiest of any available.

Come up to my place this summer. I'll teach you how to use a Serpa properly.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This is ********.
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this.

I give your opinions a deal of weight, but huge portions of the training industry, a number of security/law enforcement organizations, and numerous other orgs have banned these things for a reason. When my own mentors' training orgs are banning it - and these are guys who have experience on the level you have with a pistol - I think they're doing it for a reason.

You telling me you could train me to not ND with a SERPA is probably true, but makes my point a bit. Do I think I'd personally ND with a SERPA? Probably not. Since I started getting serious about shooting back in 2018, I've had way more yearly training and trigger time from a holster than I'm guessing 95%+ of people who carry a pistol for a living (which I try to record on my blog, if you're curious about that).

But:
    1. Most organizations do not invest very much in pistol training or have stringent qualification standards. (Your old group was certainly an exception.)
    2. SERPAs seem to frequently be associated with holster-draw NDs.

Unless you're going to train every dude who buys a SERPA, it is not an option I'd recommend. There are options that don't suffer from the same problems the SERPA has, and they should be strongly evaluated before boarding the SERPA train. So, again, sorry for disagreeing, I'm usually on Team Blaster, but not on this topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom