To those who have refinished AK furniture...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    What stain/dye/or combo did you use?
    I am going to be taking possession of a Hungarian 63DS soon and am curious what colors people have achieved. Post pics too!
    Thank you!
    -Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Several years ago, I stripped/stained a 91/30 stock and AK furniture. I used oven cleaner to strip, and straight Rit dye after experimenting a bit with the color.

There are a lot of options out there for stripping/staining wood. The over cleaner and the dye were very cheap, and a little goes a long way. I tried mixing a number of colors in different ratios to get something I thought would work. Finally, I decided that straight scarlet dye would yield the most pleasing result for me. I sanded the stock with 220 grit and applied three light-ish coats, allowing time to dry, using a lighter touch with the sandpaper between coats. I let it dry for another day after the final sanding before spraying with polyurethane. It was easy, it was cheap, and it looks pretty good. In both cases, better than the finish that was on the furniture previously.

Your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Several years ago, I stripped/stained a 91/30 stock and AK furniture. I used oven cleaner to strip, and straight Rit dye after experimenting a bit with the color.

There are a lot of options out there for staining wood. The dye was very cheap and a little goes a long, long way. I tried mixing a number of colors in different ratios to get something I thought would work. Finally, I decided that straight scarlet dye would yield the most pleasing result for me. I sanded the stock with 220 grit and applied three light-ish coats, allowing time to dry, using a lighter touch with the sandpaper each time. I let it dry for another day after the final sanding before spraying with polyurethane. It was easy, it was cheap, and it looks pretty good. In both cases, better than the finish that was on the furniture previously.

Your mileage may vary. Good luck!

I’m almost debating burning the beech slightly and finishing it like I did my table....
    ee4a08ebd9643ce2595c804995aeb85f.jpg

The worst that can happen is I end up buying a plum furniture set lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I have had great luck with Rit dye and a hand-rubbed oil finish. Put a little dye directly on the wood, then mix it into the oil for serious depth of color.

Historically, AKs were shellacked.

The only finish I've seen that doesn't feel right is varnish, folks tend to overdo it and make it way too shiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom