• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • circadia

Jan 19, 2013
    Arbutus
    Count me among the DINOs. I switched my party affiliation to Democrat about a week and a half ago.

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    My wife and I both switched about a month ago, and I've been encouraging like-minded people to do the same :thumbsup:

Mr H

Banana'd
    It's good to see the DINO movement widening, and getting play in local papers!

The fact that Del. Dwyer is taking an interest shows that this could now be more prevalent on a statewide basis.

And, hats off to skins brew for taking the original idea and running with it!

To be honest, though, I really am looking forward to the day I can go back to Unaffiliated

:D

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    The person who has no stake in the 2A argument(although they really do) is the one I've been thinking of lately. How do we get others on board for reasons other than the 2A? We need their numbers. As you point out sending them to mdshooters is not a real option. The DINO page is a very nice alternative but we still need face time. It starts with talking to your friends about how their vote is disenfranchised by being left out of the primary when we know where the races are decided in most cases. I have two people on the fence now with this argument. If I get them then I likely get their family as well. Leveraging the voter conversions will push us over the tipping point.
    It really does come down to face time networking.
    Do your part and bring along some more people and they may do the same.

patience, persistence, publicity

Initially, I quietly set up the site and didn't tell anyone about it except MDS. I didn't even tell my wife about it. After a few weeks I mentioned it to my mother (a conservative) who loved the idea. She told my father (a staunch conservative). They both loved the idea. My dad is a plumber and now carries DINO flyers around with him to give to his conservative customers.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I was a democrat until Jimmy Carter. I changed to republican because of the anti-2A stance of the democrat party. Looks like I am going to have to change back to democrat just to have a small voice in this democrat dictatorship called Maryland. I just don't want to do it too soon because it may make them think that they are gaining support for their absurd agenda.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Agreed. The Frosh/AG aspect gives all new impetus to change.

That is why we switched .... every Delegate and Senator on the Eastern shore is Rep. Still vote that way in the general election. But being able to possibly write-in a mutually agreed upon oppenent to the AG race would be fun ...

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    For this to be effective, there needs to be some sort of organization which can contact members and designate a single candidate to vote for (hopefully one that has a chance of winning, not the DINO candidate that espouses right-wing agendas, and has no chance of getting elected). I've read numerous posts of people saying that it "shouldn't be just a 2A issue", that other GOP dogmas like taxes and regulation could be addressed. This is a major mistake IMO.

If you put forth a candidate with right-wing viewpoints, in mostly Democratic districts, they will get clobbered. We need to vet centrist candidates (who are often going to espouse centrist viewpoints that many here might disagree with), but who are friendly toward 2A issues. We will need to pick our battles. You will not be able to beat incumbents in primaries unless you have the support of middle-ground voters (and hopefully, some Lefties). That means forgoing issues like gay marriage, taxes, deregulation, etc. and focusing on the major non-Democratic factor of Gun Rights. You might have to vote for people who you totally disagree with on almost every issue, EXCEPT gun rights. You will also need to focus all your voting block on one candidate to maximize the impact of our smaller numbers. This will all take coordination, and centralized control (or at least centralized communication). I hope the DINO idea will scale-up, and get some results, but without the aforementioned problems being addressed; I am not confident it will be effective. I simply doubt people will be willing to pick a candidate who is Left (or even Center) enough to pose a decent primary challenge.

That said, I am going to change my my party status once again, from Independent to Democrat. We'll see what happens. Even if opposition candidates don't win, they might scare incumbents into taking a less extreme position if they get a good primary fight.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    For this to be effective, there needs to be some sort of organization which can contact members and designate a single candidate to vote for (hopefully one that has a chance of winning, not the DINO candidate that espouses right-wing agendas, and has no chance of getting elected). I've read numerous posts of people saying that it "shouldn't be just a 2A issue", that other GOP dogmas like taxes and regulation could be addressed. This is a major mistake IMO.

If you put forth a candidate with right-wing viewpoints, in mostly Democratic districts, they will get clobbered. We need to vet centrist candidates (who are often going to espouse centrist viewpoints that many here might disagree with), but who are friendly toward 2A issues. We will need to pick our battles. You will not be able to beat incumbents in primaries unless you have the support of middle-ground voters (and hopefully, some Lefties). You will also need to focus all your voting block on one candidate to maximize the impact of our smaller numbers. This will all take coordination, and centralized control (or at least centralized communication). I hope the DINO idea will scale-up, and get some results, but without the aforementioned problems being addressed; I am not confident it will be effective.

That said, I am going to change my my party status once again, from Independent to Democrat. We'll see what happens. Even if opposition candidates don't win, they might scare incumbents into taking a less extreme position if they get a good primary fight.

I agree... but here's the deal.

At the end of the day, I could care less who these people are replaced with. As long as they are replaced.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

If you put forth a candidate with right-wing viewpoints, in mostly Democratic districts, they will get clobbered. We need to vet centrist candidates (who are often going to espouse centrist viewpoints that many here might disagree with), but who are friendly toward 2A issues. We will need to pick our battles. You will not be able to beat incumbents in primaries unless you have the support of middle-ground voters (and hopefully, some Lefties). You will also need to focus all your voting block on one candidate to maximize the impact of our smaller numbers. This will all take coordination, and centralized control (or at least centralized communication). I hope the DINO idea will scale-up, and get some results, but without the aforementioned problems being addressed; I am not confident it will be effective.

The key isn't as much their position as long as it un-elects the Owe'Malley/Miller/Busch triumphant that runs the state, and makes it more amenable to The People, as opposed to just PGCo, MoCo, and Baltimore City. Nothing against those residents, but they have caused the rest of the state to be under represented while leaving the Democrat machine entrenched for way too long, allowing them to pass higher taxes, onerous gun laws, and gerrymander their voting districts to ensure their own longevity, along with forcing socially liberal policies on the people east and west of that geography.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I did that a few days before testimony on 3/1 before the committee. I wanted to make sure I was telling the truth when I told the committee I would vote against any Rep who favored gun control in the primary.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    DarthZ: agree with you, there has to be unity among DINOs on a primary candidate to vote for, and not just against.

We should be voting for the most likely candidate to win against the incumbent, not necessarily the one we want to see in office. Short-term this is solely about getting those who voted for SB-281 voted out, even if it means replacing them with someone just as bad.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Short-term this is solely about getting those who voted for SB-281 voted out, even if it means replacing them with someone just as bad.

I think I agree with this. We are making the threat that we won't forget, which implies we will be voting them out. We have to vote for whomever is running against these asshats.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For several years been contemplating the futility of remaining a Rep in Md. My backup plan had been to go Libertarian , figuring it would be no worse disenfranchisement than staying Rep , and would make a statement at the national level. But a cpl weeks ago I swallowed my revulsion to go DINO .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom