• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I bought an R1 Micro last month, and have it on the Sig 556 using a mid-height LaRue mount. Have to admit I really like the Aimpoint (though it does seem to have tons more parallax than the EOTech when aiming at very close targets). I got a Vortex magnifier from Mark at 2A, and I'm going to get another LaRue FTS mount for it next month.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Don't dismiss more traditional glass. My friend on the forum won the NIKON M223 scope and its beautiful. His bosses son was a Navy Seal and he said that he loved that scope over anything he used in the military. Right now brownells has M223 scope and mount combos

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I bought an R1 Micro last month, and have it on the Sig 556 using a mid-height LaRue mount. Have to admit I really like the Aimpoint (though it does seem to have tons more parallax than the EOTech when aiming at very close targets). I got a Vortex magnifier from Mark at 2A, and I'm going to get another LaRue FTS mount for it next month.

Parallax, or mechanical offset? Because I've found 0 parallax on my T1 and my H1, if you can see the dot, it's on target. Closer than what it's zeroed at, though, the point of impact will always be below the dot due to mechanical offset.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Parallax, or mechanical offset? Because I've found 0 parallax on my T1 and my H1, if you can see the dot, it's on target. Closer than what it's zeroed at, though, the point of impact will always be below the dot due to mechanical offset.

I was under the impression they all have paralax up close

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I actually called their customer service on this. When you look through the optic at say, a nicknack 10 feet away; there seems to be little or no parallax. But when its mounted on the gun, and you look at the same spot with the front sight in the field of view, the parallax is extreme. As in I can slightly move my head and have the dot move completely out of sight. You can see that the dot is moving in an exaggerated manner and is WAY off of point of aim. The effect isn't nearly as noticeable on the EOTech (I wasn't aware that it was there at all until I checked it).

I haven't had a chance to take the gun to the range yet, and the rep said to actually shoot it and check the results since the optic shouldn't have any parallax; and certainly not parallax that comes and goes. Maybe its just an optical illusion. But I 've never had this problem on any of my other optics (This is my first Aimpoint), sigh.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Don't dismiss more traditional glass. My friend on the forum won the NIKON M223 scope and its beautiful. His bosses son was a Navy Seal and he said that he loved that scope over anything he used in the military. Right now brownells has M223 scope and mount combos

I shoot an M223 and love it but compared to high end 1-6 or 1-8 scopes it doesn't even come close.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Aimpoint 3X magnifier on a Larue FTS mount w/an EOTech:

384915095.jpg

I like the way it allows the magnifier to sit over the Magpul sight. The EOTech magnifier attaches in the middle and that would put the mount farther back on the rail, not leave enough room to include the magpul...

Jamie

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Aimpoint 3X magnifier on a Larue FTS mount w/an EOTech:

I like the way it allows the magnifier to sit over the Magpul sight. The EOTech magnifier attaches in the middle and that would put the mount farther back on the rail, not leave enough room to include the magpul...

Jamie

I use a similar set-up... but isn't your laRue mount... sitting backwards?

Attachments

• DSCN3543.jpg
      DSCN3543.jpg
      57.1 KB · Views: 379

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Eo's and Aimpoints are nice, but hands down means no price qualification to me. Elcans are better than both of those IMHO.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Eo's and Aimpoints are nice, but hands down means no price qualification to me. Elcans are better than both of those IMHO.

I've heard of multiple units that don't correctly fit on rails, and other which have a sizeable point of impact shift when switching from 1.1x to 4x. Add to that the fact that when the isotope runs out on them, you can't get them recharged at the plant in Canada because of the very radioactivity they depend on. Again, all of this I've gathered from reading reviews on these done by some very involved shooters, so I could be wrong.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I've heard of multiple units that don't correctly fit on rails, and other which have a sizeable point of impact shift when switching from 1.1x to 4x. Add to that the fact that when the isotope runs out on them, you can't get them recharged at the plant in Canada because of the very radioactivity they depend on. Again, all of this I've gathered from reading reviews on these done by some very involved shooters, so I could be wrong.

I hadn't heard that before, thanks for the info. I'll have to check that out for some interesting reading. Eo's have battery and QC issues, AP's are pretty darn reliable but IMHO lack of magnification is too limiting for them to be considered BEST.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER

How do you like the magnifier? I saw it there and did some research on it cause I wanted some magnification with my eotech. Can you post pics when you get a moment please. Thanks.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    How do you like the magnifier? I saw it there and did some research on it cause I wanted some magnification with my eotech. Can you post pics when you get a moment please. Thanks.

I obviously don't have it mounted on the gun yet, since I need to wait till next month to get the LaRue (Bought too many damn guns this month). But just handling the Vortex I have to say that it looks comparable to the Burris. Weight seems nearly the same (at least to the point that I can't tell the difference, the documentation says the Burris is 1.1 oz heavier), clarity is a wash (The Burris might be ever so slightly clearer/brighter), build quality goes to the Burris. The housing and materials just feel/look a bit more substantial, the Burris' adjustment screws are covered (the Vortex's are exposed) and the covers are retained by wire.The Vortex's rubber housing cover does look like it will give a bit of protection that the Burris is lacking however.

Of course the Burris is $200 and the Vortex is $130ish and comes with a fixed mount (which I suppose really isn't that useful), so on a quality per dollar basis it would be hard to go wrong with either. I will try and remember to take pics once I get it mounted and go to the range. Maybe I can do a comparison article if I can find the time.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    And yes, I have the LaRue FTS mounted opposite of normal because I'm a lefty and it's easier to flip it to my left...

Jamie

Thats good to know... My brother in law is a lefty and I've always wondered if flipping the mount to flip to the left works. Darn, learned something new today

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom