• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD

I'm going to cross post this from the Water Cooler thread.

I read this paper, signed by Sessions and the entire argument seems based on this text on page 5. It is flawed in that it attempts to state that the entire bump action is performed by the bumpstock device. This paper completely ignores the fact that a rifle will not continue to fire if the non-firing hand is not pulling the gun forward.

Attachments

• Page5_bs.jpg
      Page5_bs.jpg
      34.1 KB · Views: 348

usc45cal

nothing
    Nov 14, 2009
    so why did they not think about this when they gave the thumbs up on it ,,,, the atf made it ok to own so WTF did someone get paid to give it the ok knowing its capabilities ,,,, asleep at the wheel or what ? just an opinion

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    so why did they not think about this when they gave the thumbs up on it ,,,, the atf made it ok to own so WTF did someone get paid to give it the ok knowing its capabilities ,,,, asleep at the wheel or what ? just an opinion

What capabilities would that be?

usc45cal

nothing
    Nov 14, 2009
    fire rate ................... im pro gun all of the way can you see my gun room ......... my point was the atf let it slide so who is holding them accountable damn dude alot of posts congrats

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    fire rate ................... im pro gun all of the way can you see my gun room ......... my point was the atf let it slide so who is holding them accountable damn dude alot of posts congrats

No one "let it slide". Bump stocks do not fit the definition of machine guns, it's as simple as that. ATF made them "OK to own" because of that. No loophole, no letting anything slide, no one needs held accountable for that original decision, because they aren't machine guns and they don't turn semi autos into machine guns.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Maybe this will help steer the conversation:

U.S. Code › Title 26 › Subtitle E › Chapter 53 › Subchapter B › Part I › § 5845

26 U.S. Code § 5845 - Definitions

(b) Machinegun

The term “machinegun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

Back to the discussion: BATF ruled that a bump stock equipped firearm fires a single shot from each function of the trigger. It is not a machine gun.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    The question shouldn't be "If machine guns are banned, why aren't bump stocks" but "Why are machine guns banned in the first place?"

I still subscribe to the notion that any gun law that exempts law enforcement is a priori a bad one.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Not directed at the prior poster, but just a general comment... I get very tired of the media telling me that machine guns are banned, or illegal, or prohibited from civilian ownership. They are not. They are highly regulated and taxed. I believe that 38 states allow private ownership of machine guns, including the Old Line State.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    No one "let it slide". Bump stocks do not fit the definition of machine guns, it's as simple as that. ATF made them "OK to own" because of that. No loophole, no letting anything slide, no one needs held accountable for that original decision, because they aren't machine guns and they don't turn semi autos into machine guns.

exactly...

the version of the bump stocks that the ATF did NOT approve was spring loaded so that it took no additional effort from the user and would function one handed.

if that is the final wording of what they are proposing it does not actually affect the bump stocks that are currently out there, a "feel good" law with zero practical change.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    if that is the final wording of what they are proposing it does not actually affect the bump stocks that are currently out there, a "feel good" law with zero practical change.

A regulation is not a law, and regulations may not subvert laws either.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    Not directed at the prior poster, but just a general comment... I get very tired of the media telling me that machine guns are banned, or illegal, or prohibited from civilian ownership. They are not. They are highly regulated and taxed. I believe that 38 states allow private ownership of machine guns, including the Old Line State.

Yes, I know, but the fact that the only legal ones are now at least 32 years old to me is a de facto ban. You can't buy one at a reasonable price, and the few that exist and still work will only increase in price.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Similar arguments about the danger of a bump stock ban being predicated on a rate of fire or "dangerous feature" argument have been made here since the NRA, Trump, and others started to suggest the possibility ... however this writer does a better job than most in articulating why such regulation could be expanded to included semiautomatic and indeed all firearms. Worth forwarding.
    Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom