AR Underfolder Adapter for Pistol Buffer Tube?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    I've got several side folders if that's of any benefit.

Under folders would be what I need, side folders have different hardware. Thanks though!

Of course, to make this really work, you're still going to need a stubby receiver extension and modified buffer, new springs, etc.

Well for the first iteration, probably not. Why? Because I'm not trying to clone the setup 100% just yet. Just looking to get the stock function setup. There are a few stubby receiver extensions out on the market, so why reinvent the wheel until I need to?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I don't see why you couldn't use a standard pistol buffer and tube.....

Standard pistol tube is the same length as a carbine (M4) tube. At that size, folding the stock wouldn't make the package any shorter.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I'd just machine a shorter tube and loose the buffer that's what he did. I have done that on 3 9mm builds with no issues so far. It does require weighting the carrier . But not a big deal if you know you way around a lathe and mill .

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'd just machine a shorter tube and loose the buffer that's what he did. I have done that on 3 9mm builds with no issues so far. It does require weighting the carrier . But not a big deal if you know you way around a lathe and mill .

So what did he do to lose the buffer? Go to one of those captured buffer springs?

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    He weighted his carrier then mounted the buffer rubber piece to the rear of the carrier. By doing so you get rid of the buffer, and thus shorten your buffer tube by a good 4 inches.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Just thinking out loud here....

If you ordered this...

http://www.theflatspot.net/polish-ak-underfolder-rear-trunnion--tang.html

And then bought/fabricated a small sleeve to fit over the buffer tube. Then welded the sides of the flat to that sleeve. And then finished it up nice. How would that work?

I am not a machinist. But I have a Dremel and JB Weld.

What I was thinking about was just getting a trunnion to get the measurements off of. I'd like to keep it simple and just preserve the traditional AK mechanism. The picture in the OP seems to be a newly made mechanism.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    What I was thinking about was just getting a trunnion to get the measurements off of. I'd like to keep it simple and just preserve the traditional AK mechanism. The picture in the OP seems to be a newly made mechanism.

Were you planning on machining a piece? The OPs original pic is awesome. I wish there was info on how it was made.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Were you planning on machining a piece? The OPs original pic is awesome. I wish there was info on how it was made.

While I have machining knowledge I am unfortunately not a machinist. I do know people with 3D printers, though, so I could try my hand at a design and print a prototype.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I can think of 2 ways to do this. If anyone wants to pay for a prototype I can go to machine shop to get one made.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I don't want to steal the OP's thunder. I just think I may have finally found something cool that I can apply my skills to which overlaps my firearms hobby.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Keep me posted on this guys. Have not lost interest, more so just time to actually spend on design with some recent events that have been taking up my time.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I am resurrecting this thread in the hopes that maybe someone made some headway with this. I did end up adding the underfolder stock to an order, so I have one laying around in case this can be done. I am hoping in the next month or so for my stamps to come back, I would love to use this on an SBR build.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I started drawing it up and got sidelined. Maybe in a month or 2 I can get back to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom