Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My understanding is that no ruling has been made yet vis a vis PLCAA, and The Atlantic jumped the gun on this. The suit is going to fail miserably - the reason this attack is untested is because it's amazingly stupid. There's no "waah, the advertising!" exemption.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    My understanding is that no ruling has been made yet vis a vis PLCAA, and The Atlantic jumped the gun on this. The suit is going to fail miserably - the reason this attack is untested is because it's amazingly stupid. There's no "waah, the advertising!" exemption.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-connecticut-shooting-idUSKCN0XB2DF

Superior Court Judge Barbara Bellis declined to dismiss it, saying the gunmaker, a unit of Madison, North Carolina-based Freedom Group Inc, had not proven that the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act stopped her from hearing the case.

"The Superior Court has subject matter jurisdiction over a wrongful death action where the injury arose out of conduct by the defendants," Bellis wrote. "Any immunity that PLCAA may provide does not implicate this court's subject matter jurisdiction."

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    This will never pass muster. If it f

Does it opens the door to litigation for misuse of automobiles, and any other device that humans abuse. The progressives will try to limit it to firearms, but it won't fly given the broad implication. That doesn't mean they won't try though.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    This will never pass muster. If it f

Does it opens the door to litigation for misuse of automobiles, and any other device that humans abuse. The progressives will try to limit it to firearms, but it won't fly given the broad implication. That doesn't mean they won't try though.

Exactly my thinking also, no way it will fly.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    sad indeed, blame everyone but the one(s) actually responsible. seriously, how many laws did this guy break (murder amongst them) and we're gonna blame it on the piece of equipment he used.

surely if he used a humvee to run over a soccer field of kids at recess no one would be suing them.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I need to sue the Chinese for the bad orange chicken I got the other day. I want reimbursement for the TP and water I used.
    Can I sue Chevy since I got hit by a Tahoe?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    What a better way to kill the capitalist system. Allow businesses to be sued to death, then replace them with government agencies and corporations, which have sovereign immunity.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Have these families sued the Lanza estate? I haven't heard a thing about that. It would be another loser lawsuit like this one, so why not? It's not stopping them with this gun lawsuit. It's all the anti gun agenda. That's all it's ever been about.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Who do you sue when someone falls off of a cliff or drowns in the ocean? This lawsuit is nothing more than an attempt to vilify the firearms industry and draw attention to the liberal agenda. Nothing more. There is no way they can believe they will win. I wonder how much of Bloomberg money is wrapped up in this.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

Yes. But the wording here is complicated. Let me highlight the important part:
    Superior Court Judge Barbara Bellis declined to dismiss it, saying the gunmaker, a unit of Madison, North Carolina-based Freedom Group Inc, had not proven that the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act stopped her from hearing the case.

"The Superior Court has subject matter jurisdiction over a wrongful death action where the injury arose out of conduct by the defendants," Bellis wrote. "Any immunity that PLCAA may provide does not implicate this court's subject matter jurisdiction."
    Basically, she is saying that she can hear the case because the PLCAA doesn't demand that she summarily dismiss, but PLCAA still applies. The refusal to summarily dismiss is idiotic and probably politically-driven - and will make her look extremely stupid on appeal - but she is not saying the PLCAA doesn't grant immunity in this case.

In fact, this is extremely bad news for the plaintiffs. They're not going to win. This is only driving up the legal bills for the defense, which the plaintiffs will be obligated to pay once the judge inevitably rules for the defendant due to PLCAA immunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom