HS students suspended for range time outside of school hrs.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    NJ.

I know these stories are getting to be dime a dozen, but again this shows how far we've fallen. I take my boys (elementary/middle) to the range often. There will be range trips during H.S., I'm sure. So now kids are not allowed *near* guns, even away from school while practicing (I assume) firearms safety and proficiency?

The fight is getting desperate.

2 Students Disciplined For Going To Gun Range Outside Of School Hours

According to Patch.com, the Lacey Township school district follows the Safe Schools Initiative, the Zero Tolerance for Guns Act and also has its own zero-tolerance policy for any students who have weapons in their possession, on or off school grounds.

Students could be subject to a long-term suspension for up to one-year, according to Schmutter.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    So according to the school, Boy Scouts can not earn their Marksmanship Merit Badge; 4H & JROTC can not participate in their firearms training.

And parental control and authority means nothing to school either. Surprised the boys haven’t been snatched up by CPS and the parents charged with reckless endangerment and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

With stupidity this intense, I’m sure it takes a village to raise an idiot.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Man, again poor journalism. Was this a public or private school?
    If public, I see the grounds to sue the township on policy.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The principal and superintendent both deny the accusation that the kids were given a 5 day detention due to their social media post with guns. We’ll see.
    This could be like the kid who said CNN tried to flip he script on him or that girl who said she was fired because of her ccw.
    Everyone loves attention.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    i remember in junior high/middle school doing various papers on hunting and shooting, zero issues.

Your post reminded me that in 7th grade I did a speech on language arts class on the weapons of the Vietnam war. No one batted an eye over the topic.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Children, by law, are required to be enrolled in school.

Anyone enrolled in school are now called "students," whether or not at school.

Schools have jurisdiction over "student" behavior, no matter where it occurs.

The schools, not the family, have jurisdiction over your students, er, uh, children.

But don't worry, the schools have plenty of resources to manage the task. :sarcasm: We learned last night on Life, Liberty & Levin that <50% of "educators" in our school systems are actually classroom teachers. What are all those Marxists doing behind the scenes, outside of public scrutiny (as if we can't guess)?

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    And the insanity continues! Clear violation of their 2nd Amendment COTUS rights. When are they going to be held accountable?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    its one thing for the school to step in because Billy made a threat against Jimmy in FB and they both are in 2nd period math together. Its another when the school is scouring a FB page to find the littlest thing so they can assume the "parental" role.

5cary

MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    its one thing for the school to step in because Billy made a threat against Jimmy in FB and they both are in 2nd period math together. Its another when the school is scouring a FB page to find the littlest thing so they can assume the "parental" role.

I get the impression the school wasn't "scouring FB" for this. It appears the posts on social media were reported to the administration by "concerned individuals" [read: snowflakes].

I suspect (though I have not proof) that this is why the administration is saying the claims are wrong. They did not simply discipline the students for social media posts. They disciplined the students for social media posts that "caused distress" to others in the student body (read: snowflakes). Just a guess.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I get the impression the school wasn't "scouring FB" for this. It appears the posts on social media were reported to the administration by "concerned individuals" [read: snowflakes].

I suspect (though I have not proof) that this is why the administration is saying the claims are wrong. They did not simply discipline the students for social media posts. They disciplined the students for social media posts that "caused distress" to others in the student body (read: snowflakes). Just a guess.

And expect HB1302 to do the same for adults, also nag with gun confiscation of course

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

Thank God social media was not around in the early to mid 90's I might not have graduated. :innocent0

5cary

MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Thank God social media was not around in the early to mid 90's I might not have graduated. :innocent0

Totally with ya there. I'm pretty lucky many of my actions were not recorded for posterity. On the other hand there were a lot less snowflakes around in the '90s (and '80s).

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011

I was just thinking about how bad social media has impacted.

Not only is it self-ownage, but my high school competed in a multi day robotics building/competition at a regional event hosted down in Annapolis. Like 2 teachers/40 students, a couple decided to bail on us for an hour to watch a lacrosse game across the street It was a very hectic environment with a lot of people, and a lot students doing different jobs. Hard to keep track of everyone at all times.

It was a "WTF?" moment when they returned but imagine present day, if school supervisory staff got wind of these goobers posting pictures on Facebook of a lacrosse game. Would the teachers face disciplinary action too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom