• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I have been working my way to loading precision loads for my 6.5 Creedmoor.
    I determined my max length for the four projectiles I have, backed them off .020 from the lands and loaded up 5rds each at 42.7gr, 43.0gr and 43.3gr of Reloder 16. These were all in new nickel plated brass from Peterson. I will be doing the same with H4350 after I work up some loads with that powder.
    Thus far, my TC Compass' most consistent load is with an ELD-M 140gr with 43.0gr of Reloder 16. My fps were as follows:
    2816 *DUP*
    Every other load had at least two rounds ~20fps up and down- extreme spreads of 40+fps on a five round string. FWIW- ELD-M 147gr was showing obvious pressure signs at 43.3gr
    My next step is to do a 100yd accuracy test of 5rds each @ .010, .020, .030 and .040 off the lands and then move to longer distances.
    As things stand, my most accurate round has been factory Federal Non Typical 140gr. I was able to consistently shoot .5 MOA with those, achieving dime size groups at 100yds.

Just thought I would share.

Last edited:

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    Just curious - What was your best group with the ELD-Ms?

The Federal factory groups sounds pretty good, so I was wondering how your barrel likes the Hornady bullet?

When I was doing workups in 5.56 and 30-06, I did my ladders with SMKs until I felt I had an optimal load. Later for the 5.56 in 55grain, I found the tipped Sierra BlitzKings (SBK) to give me even better groups.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    What you might find as you go out further in distance is that the factory Federals grouping will open up vs the ELDs and the sleeker bullet will have less drop and wind drift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom