• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I need to get some practice with reloading 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 now that I've finally gotten the right gear to do it. The thing I am missing is bullets. What places sell the cheapest projectiles? Accuracy is not a serious concern, as cost is the driver here.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Don't forget to take into account shipping.
    Buying in bulk always saves in the long run.

I don't know about the cheapest, but good prices when you catch the sales and free shipping:
    https://www.xtremebullets.com/223-Jacketed-s/48080.htm

I dont know for certain, but I think a bunch of these places all get the FMJ 55g from the central sources.

I am on the mailing list and have caught the 308 bullets on sail at wideners before. usually order with other stuff to save on shipping

https://www.wideners.com/reloading-supplies/bullets/rifle-bullets/308-bullets

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Don't forget to take into account shipping.
    Buying in bulk always saves in the long run.
    So, I usually agree with this premise, but the plan here is to accrue some mastery reloading rifle calibers first, and THEN bulk-buying the good stuff. I'd rather practice and mess up on cheap stuff than mess up a 77gr SMK or equivalent Nosler.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013

MG in MD

Feb 11, 2016
    Linthicum
    Either Midsouth or Midway, not sure which, has had Lake City pulled components in the past. I bought some for the exact same reason.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Hornady bulk are both good and cheap. Accurate for what they are too.

+1

Practicing with garbage (cheapest) ammo is not beneficial IMO. Ball ammo, especially 5.56 mm (.223R) is so cheap, I refuse to reload it. Only reload 5.56 with SP for prairie dogs or match for shooting paper, for 3-gun I us factory ball ammo.

Good luck

Jerry

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    +1

Practicing with garbage (cheapest) ammo is not beneficial IMO. Ball ammo, especially 5.56 mm (.223R) is so cheap, I refuse to reload it. Only reload 5.56 with SP for prairie dogs or match for shooting paper, for 3-gun I us factory ball ammo. Same for .308 Win except I don't shoot it in 3-gun.

Good luck

Jerry
    . Concur. I had similar thoughts years ago, then ended up selling off 450 out of 500 of the “cheap” projectiles. My goal was accurate ammo, and the bullet is critical even at 100 yards!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    +1

Practicing with garbage (cheapest) ammo is not beneficial IMO. Ball ammo, especially 5.56 mm (.223R) is so cheap, I refuse to reload it. Only reload 5.56 with SP for prairie dogs or match for shooting paper, for 3-gun I us factory ball ammo. Same for .308 Win except I don't shoot it in 3-gun.

Good luck

Jerry

. Concur. I had similar thoughts years ago, then ended up selling off 450 out of 500 of the “cheap” projectiles. My goal was accurate ammo, and the bullet is critical even at 100 yards!

Indeed!

With .223 factory brass ammo selling recently at 24 cents a round, what's the point of reloading .223? There arguably isn't one, unless you can make ammunition that is more accurate, or is otherwise superior in some way for your own particular purposes than what you can buy.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Indeed!

With .223 factory brass ammo selling recently at 24 cents a round, what's the point of reloading .223? There arguably isn't one, unless you can make ammunition that is more accurate, or is otherwise superior in some way for your own particular purposes than what you can buy.
    So, just to be clear, the point of this exercise isn't to bulk-load blaster .223/.308, it's to teach myself how to load rifle calibers without spending a bunch of money on expensive bullets I have no plans on using right now. The idea is that when I finally spend some money on a precision-style rifle, I'll be in a position to load good ammo for it.

Anyways, update: I got my bullet samplers from Midsouth and successfully loaded a dummy 223 round with one, which involved the trimming, prep, and lube steps that I was less familiar with. So, mission accomplished... I'll finish prepping my remaining .223 and .308 cases and get back to loading my subsonic 160gr 9x19 rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom