• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    So, I’ve been educating myself on lever action rifles. It seems there are two main types of internal actions. Most common looks to be the toggle link, like in a Winchester 1873 or lots of others, https://youtu.be/YcZNYAAy_Gc, with a falling block, or the tilting block, as in a model 92, https://youtu.be/of2uCOQWYLk

As far as I can tell, in modern guns and for regular use (i.e., not combat), either one is perfectly fine. From experience, though, what can anyone tell me about these?

And this isn’t even getting into loading gates (Side? Bottom? Removable tube?) ejection angles, etc.

But please, open the floor for discussion including experience and just plain opinionating!

SF

Echo6mike, going mobile...

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I'm always impressed by the ingenuity of mechanical actions. No SoCs, no FPGAs, just carefully shaped pieces of metal that operate in synchrony to accomplish a complex task.

Learning everything I can about the 92s.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    The toggle-link guns were superseded by stronger designs when smokeless powder became more commonplace. The later designs could handle much higher pressures than the toggle-link guns. I wouldn't want to shoot heavy loads of any caliber in the earlier designs. They're much more suitable to cowboy-action loads which simulate blackpowder pressures.

Joe

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Henry's need side loading gates.

They've also taken a page from Browning's book these last few years and come out with some box magazine levers too (in 223/556 and larger spitzer rounds). Haven't really researched these rifles, even if the box magazine has practical utility, as I like the aesthetics of the tube magazine under the barrel.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Henry's are tube fed for historical reasons I recall.
    I have 2 and don't mind the tube. That being said, I'd prefer a loading gate in warm weather and tube in cold weather.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Henry's are tube fed for historical reasons I recall.
    I have 2 and don't mind the tube. That being said, I'd prefer a loading gate in warm weather and tube in cold weather.

You are correct.

Henry went back in history.

And borrowed the idea from the Marlin Model 60.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If your Henry had a side loading gate then it wouldn’t be a Henry, it would be Winchester 66 Yellowboy.

Know your history and respect your heritage.

DAVIDMAGNUM

Oct 19, 2007
    Federalsburg
    Henry or Henry ?

The original Henry Rifle manufactured in Oliver Winchester's factory did not have a side loading gate because it did not exist yet. Nelson King devised the loading gate improvement for the Henry Rifle. The side loading gate allowed for the use of a wooden forearm. As someone that shoots black powder in an 1873 Winchester I know that the "Holy Black" heats up a barrel more than that nitro smokeless stuff some people like.:innocent0 Other improvements allowed by the side loading gate were a totally enclosed magazine tube and internal follower.
    Fast forward to the present and it is easy to confuse the new company , Henry Repeating Arms with the company mentioned above. Henry Repeating Arms does not use the original top loading , open magazine on their Big Boy Rifles like the rifle manufactured in 1860.(they do on the "New Original Henry") They are using as others have said , a system very much like a Marlin semi-auto 22LR tube magazine.

BIG NOTE ON SAFETY !!
    The original Henry Rifle utilized a rim-fire cartridge. Whether made in the USA, Japan or Italy the new Henry Rifle replicas utilize center fire cartridges.
    Dropping loaded rounds in a vertical magazine or letting the follower "snap" down onto a partially loaded magazine can set the cartridges off. I personally saw this happen , it is not urban legend.
    The gentleman that was loading the rifle survived. He was taken to the hospital to receive stitches and have brass and steel fragments removed.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And then the "Modern " lever actions, usually with rotating bolt . Savage 99 , Winchester M88 , Sako ( somthing ) , Browning BLR , Ruger 96 .

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Sako Finnwolf .308
    Box magazine , Original Sako scope rings and a VXIII 3.5x10 Leupold scope
    Super accurate and shoots better than me.

Attachments

• 21361170_1683745334977207_8587316_n.jpg
      21361170_1683745334977207_8587316_n.jpg
      74.4 KB · Views: 287

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have lever guns for a specific application, SASS. When I started SASS, I had a Winchester 94 in 45 Colt. It worked, but cycling was slow and I lost too much precious brass. I picked up an Uberti 1860 in 44-40. In stock configuration, it's slow cycling. However, the toggle action lends itself to short stroke kits, which enables faster cycling. The fast rifle shooting on this video is being done with toggle action lever guns.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I have lever guns for a specific application, SASS. When I started SASS, I had a Winchester 94 in 45 Colt. It worked, but cycling was slow and I lost too much precious brass. I picked up an Uberti 1860 in 44-40. In stock configuration, it's slow cycling. However, the toggle action lends itself to short stroke kits, which enables faster cycling. The fast rifle shooting on this video is being done with toggle action lever guns.

That *is* some fast shooting - looks like fun!

How about smoothing out different actions, I’m going to guess there’s some “tribal knowledge” out there about that.

And the new Marlins vs the old ones, things like that I’m interested in learning too...

Last edited:

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    That *is* some fast shooting - looks like fun!

How about smoothing out different actions, I’m going to guess there’s some “tribal knowledge” out there about that.

And the new Marlins vs the old ones, things like that I’m interested in learning too...

The action jobs on the CAS rifles include smoothing parts internally but really get better with a short stroke kit. This makes the lever travel a shorter distance to open and shut the action. Really helps for speed.

One day I will learn to lever a rifle like that. Going to take a ton of practice.

Most of the time the CAS guys stick with 4 rifles. The original Henry, the 1866 and 1873 Winchester’s, and the Marlins. The first 3 are very simple to short stroke and slick up. I do not know the process for the Marlins. People tend to use the 1873 the most I believe. Internally the 66 and 73 are the same but the 73 has a safely feature that does not allow the rifle to fire until the lever is all the way shut. The 66 will actually fire out of battery and blow the rifle apart if you are going too fast and pull the trigger too soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom