• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I'm a believer!

After a few false starts, I was finally able to get my new CVA Accura nitride MR to the range to get ready for a few days in Region A. Was shooting the Lehigh Defense .452 245gr Controlled Fracturing and the 250gr Xtreme Penetrator bullets in .50 cal sabots behind 2 White Hot pellets. I was able to go 4 shots between cleaning the barrel. I could shoot more than that, but getting the sabot down that last inch or so took some leaning on the pushrod a tad.

CVA-Its-Just-A-Better-Gun-1401462171.jpg

15713028_10211871403689334_1061174283_n.jpg

15722632_10211875074221095_1110211642_n.jpg

15666154_10211875075621130_653903441_n.jpg

After sighting in to 100 yards, I went for grouping. The first shot was the 245gr highest and to the right, then the 250gr right below and next to it. Then I went 2 clicks left and 4 down for the last shot so I would be an inch low at 100yds, an inch high at 50 yards and consequently at 25 yards (average range where I hunt) it's dead in the bullseye.

CVA says their Bergara barrels are the most accurate muzzleloaders you have shot or they will buy the gun back. I'm a believer.

Now to get into the woods.....

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Congrats on your nice, new rifle! I hope you've had some success hunting with it. CVA has come a long way, and the Bergara barrels are very accurate. I have the Optima pistol and it shoots like a rifle.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I found that even with white hots, if I did not clean between shots and let it cool, my groups opened up. It also did not emulate that cold first shot like would be for hunting unless I did the clean and cool.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Have an accura in stainless. Shots great for me, adjustable trigger is pretty clean as well. I shoot hornandy fpb which are not sabots but more in line with the powerbelt bullets. Can shoot 6 at least without accuracy degrqding. Fire 2 primers before shooting. Around an inch at 100 if I do my part. I clean then fire 2 primers before go into the woods to make barrel same condition as beginning of range session.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    More info please been looking to buy one
    Likes dislikes
    Load data
    My pistol is relatively new so I haven't done too much load testing. I've been hunting with 70grs. T7, Barnes MZ sabot, and Winchester 209 primer. The gun does not seem to be finicky at all, as other bullets I've tried (Hornady XTP and Spitfire) all shot accurately. I currently have a dot sight mounted and I have nothing negative to say about the gun. I intend to switch to BH209 powder once I get around to ordering the breach plug meant for it. Probably my only gripe that it didn't come with this plug. But I really can't complain, because you get a lot of gun and performance for a very reasonable price.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I found that even with white hots, if I did not clean between shots and let it cool, my groups opened up. It also did not emulate that cold first shot like would be for hunting unless I did the clean and cool.

Dunno why some of the pics didn't post. Here are my last 3 shots:
    15727115_10211901272076025_4928056427311438398_n.jpg

First two are the two almost touching. The last one was after a couple clicks left and dropping an inch so I am an inch low at 100yds, and inch high at 50 yds, which just so happens puts me dead on at 25.

Last 4 shots were done in succession and without cleaning.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    I have a CVA Electra. I bought it at a steep discount years ago because it seems people did not trust the electronic ignition system. I took my first muzzleloader deer with it this past Wednesday. I am really liking it. Has the same barrel. Nice gun.

rob b

c@r collecting
    My pistol is relatively new so I haven't done too much load testing. I've been hunting with 70grs. T7, Barnes MZ sabot, and Winchester 209 primer. The gun does not seem to be finicky at all, as other bullets I've tried (Hornady XTP and Spitfire) all shot accurately. I currently have a dot sight mounted and I have nothing negative to say about the gun. I intend to switch to BH209 powder once I get around to ordering the breach plug meant for it. Probably my only gripe that it didn't come with this plug. But I really can't complain, because you get a lot of gun and performance for a very reasonable price.

Thanks for the help
    One last question how is the trigger

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Thanks for the help
    One last question how is the trigger
    Trigger is clean and light. There is so much accuracy potential that I'm contemplating a scope, but I do like the simplicity of a dot. You will love the gun if you decide to get it. You are welcome to try mine if we can arrange something.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Just back from 3 days in Region A and nada. Everything I saw was on the run already. Oh well, better luck next year. Maybe I can find some place closer to home...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom