• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    I have one slightly used I'll sell to anyone interested for $299. Only selling because I got the performance center version recently. Great carry gun

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    $299 is a good price. How much after shipping and transfer fee?

Shipping and transfer fees are going to add another $75 to the price, not much I can do about either of those.

Wish i had known you wanted a Shield. I sold mine, with 4 mags to another friend of ours. I got rid of it because I will never be granted a carry permit and the trigger really sucks for a range gun

I think you sold that off before I had any interest in a shield. Our "Doctor" friend at the steel shoot had a S&W custom shop shield and let me shoot it, I liked how it handled so decided I'd get one. As for the trigger sucking, I have an Apex Tactical Specialties action enhancement kit coming for it, they claim it will reduce trigger pull by 2+ lbs., but we'll see.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    How difficult are the S&W Shield 9mm's to rack? I'm a senior and don't want too much difficulty.
    Thanks!

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    How difficult are the S&W Shield 9mm's to rack? I'm a senior and don't want too much difficulty.
    Thanks!

They are not the easiest. My 81 year old father was unable to do it. He said it is because he finger tips are worn down, but I believe it is because he has lost strength in his grip. My wife couldn't rack it either, however I believe her issue is her technique and not being willing to listen to me.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Thanks!

I have the start of some arthritis in my hands... my shield was almost too stiff for me to rack easily. Found a company making peel and stick grip tape cut to fit the shield perfectly... way easy to grip and rack for me now. I think it was called Arachnagrip

edit: found a link. I got plain black version
    https://www.arachnigrip.com/store#!/~/category/id=13021423

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    I carry my shield now instead of the g23 I used to. It's not as accurate as the glock for me, but it's way more comfortable and doesn't print that much especially in the summer time.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    They are not the easiest. My 81 year old father was unable to do it. He said it is because he finger tips are worn down, but I believe it is because he has lost strength in his grip. My wife couldn't rack it either, however I believe her issue is her technique and not being willing to listen to me.

Yeah, when they're brand new they are pretty stiff, that's for sure, but I found that mine "broke in" a bit and was much easier to rack with some use, and I expect that will continue to improve somewhat more over time, but we'll see.

Oh, and I just can't imagine having a wife that doesn't listen to me! <sarcasm> :lol: :D

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Upgrade the Trigger and sights, other than that, it's a great little pistol. I too, grabbed the performance center version. I like it as much, if not better, than my 43.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD

from first hand experience teaching your wife anything is difficult as you will end up sleeping on the couch, true story.

I need to get my paws on a shield to see if I like it better than my Taurus PT709, the trigger cant suck any worse.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    what is the price difference from the PC version to the stock?

I paid $299 for my bone stock 9mm Shield, and the cheapest PC version on gunbroker right now is $450, so about $150 difference I guess.

The good news is, if you don't absolutely have to have the porting or fiber optic sights, the stock shield trigger can be greatly improved by installing the Apex Tactical spring and sear kit which runs about $70, or a bit less on sale, and they're easy to install, a lot of guys here have done that and virtually every one of them loves the Apex kit in their Shield. Just a thought.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I paid $299 for my bone stock 9mm Shield, and the cheapest PC version on gunbroker right now is $450, so about $150 difference I guess.

The good news is, if you don't absolutely have to have the porting or fiber optic sights, the stock shield trigger can be greatly improved by installing the Apex Tactical spring and sear kit which runs about $70, or a bit less on sale, and they're easy to install, a lot of guys here have done that and virtually every one of them loves the Apex kit in their Shield. Just a thought.

Guess I'm going to need to go Heritage to try it out, thanks.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I find the shield to be a little snappy, but I have big hands and can't get the best purchase on it. One thing to be aware of if you've never done it before. It feels naughty ordering 8rd magazines and having them shipped straight to your house.

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    I find the shield to be a little snappy, but I have big hands and can't get the best purchase on it. One thing to be aware of if you've never done it before. It feels naughty ordering 8rd magazines and having them shipped straight to your house.

The Shield wanted to twist a little on me, I added the granular Talon grips and that solved the problem. Not good for concealed carry but I live in MD so not a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom