• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    Howdy Folks!!
    I am passing some time during the Great Chinese Lung Flu by tinkering with a couple old POS revolvers I have had forever. I am working on an Iver Johnson American Bulldog. This is a first model, so before 1888. Medium sized solid frame, should be double action. This one, I get no half cock or full cock, but if you pull the trigger it cycles the hammer, and would fire the gun.
    I am looking for a picture of the sear,, Disassembly instructions, and or maybe a parts gun.
    Any help would be great... No idea why, but these early revolvers amuse me. I have 3 others that are done and working ( S&W32 Safety Hammerless, Forehand and Wordsworth Solid frame revolver, and an H and R solid frame)
    Help me get another one up and running!!
    Thanks,
    JB

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    Looked there first. I found some from them for my H &R 922 project. All they have for the Iver Johnson is a pair of grips. If I get this to work, I will prolly get a pair...

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    William Goforth's "Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works Firearms 1871-1993" might have what you're looking for. Copies are around, but they'll run more than $60. You could call the NRA Museum; their library probably has a copy, and they could tell you if it has what you need. If there's anyone there.That's all I could come up with in a 10 minute Google search.

Good luck.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Traister publications has printed firearms disassembly and exploded views for some time. A library near you may have just what your looking for. Each edition is usually evenly split between rim-fire, revolver pistol and centerfire rifle- shotgun.
    Sometimes you can find them in the book sell offs at Ollie's, Big lots and yard sales junk stores or sales. Auctions are a great place to find books when they clear the tables off.

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    Sorry for the slow response, felt crappy yesterday... or was it crabby... I will try the NRA once things stabilize again, that was a good idea. I am looking at sales and auctions. The actual value of this gun is about 0, so it is not a big deal. I know there are folks who have a drawer full of broken guns like this, that is where this came from. God knows how long my dad had it....
    Anyway, thanks for all the help!!
    JB

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Open it up and take pics for help if necessary. Guns are dead simple mechanisms with only about a dozen moving parts. Its not like Iver Johnson (or Colt/Ruger/Browning) built Enigma machines inside these things. Yes, the designers were smart but the smarter they were the more simple the mechanisms are.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom