Replacement Brass Tumbler...Which To Get?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I know a lot of people will hop on me for this one, but I've been using the Harbor Freight 5 lb tumbler for years and I've been very happy with it (knock on wood). I also like the fact I can get a new bowl with walnut media for $20. Makes it easy to switch media types or what not.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If it works, it works - you can't look at a polished case and tell what brand the tumbler is, where it was purchased or how much it cost. :)

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Rock,
    I have a Lyman turbo1200 that is 15years old and still works well. I just picked up the bigger Magnum a few months, all I can say is I now need some more dirty brass to clean. :D It's nice doing a 1000+ of 38spl in one load.:innocent0

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I also got the Cabelas kit. Works very well and has a ton of reviews.

Also as some have mention the Frankfurt arsenal tumbler is actually the same tumbler as the cabelas I believe just rebranded.

They go on sale often as well.

Can take a pic if you need an idea of size but as far as function mine works great.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Another Lyman fan here.

My 1200 was purchased over 30 years ago.

JMS79

Apr 6, 2013
    Parkville
    I am just getting into reloading and I picked up the Cabela's kit last week. I ran about 150 of 9mm and 45 Colt brass through it and it all came out looking good. If you aren't worried about polishing the brass the manual states it takes about an hour, but with the polish it was good to go in about 2 1/2 hours. The tumbler was fairly quiet, but I really have no gauge to how it compares with other tumblers.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Big Thanks to byf43, mooseman, Uncle Duke, & Marauder.. I ended up with a Lyman 1200 turbo. It arrived today, & I broke it in with a batch of brass.

The bowl that came with it was smaller then my old Vibrashine- wasnt too fond of the open sifter top. Luckily my old Vibrashine bowl, fit on the Lyman 1200 base, perfectly :thumbsup:

That unit is very quiet! It seems to clean pretty well too.

My old tumbler sounded like 2 skeletons f**king on a tin roof, with all the racquet it made.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Big Thanks to byf43, mooseman, Uncle Duke, & Marauder.. I ended up with a Lyman 1200 turbo. It arrived today, & I broke it in with a batch of brass.

The bowl that came with it was smaller then my old Vibrashine- wasnt too fond of the open sifter top. Luckily my old Vibrashine bowl, fit on the Lyman 1200 base, perfectly :thumbsup:

My old tumbler sounded like 2 skeletons f**king on a tin roof, with all the racquet it made.

:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Well, I can't honestly say I've ever heard two skeletons f/:;ing on a tin roof before! But damn if that isn't a comical thought! Broke me up! :lol2:

Good luck man!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I know a lot of people will hop on me for this one, but I've been using the Harbor Freight 5 lb tumbler for years and I've been very happy with it (knock on wood). I also like the fact I can get a new bowl with walnut media for $20. Makes it easy to switch media types or what not.
    I was in Harbor Freight the other day so I checked out their smaller tumbler. Functionally it doesn't look any different than my RCBS. Same size, same basic features, and only about half the price. Definitely worth checking into for anyone who doesn't want to spend $70-$80+ on a tumbler.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Glad I could be of some help.

I didn't realize the top is now slotted. :tdown:

Thankfully, the lid from your old one fit.

I've got a "Frisbee" or two laying around, that you could use, if you want 'em!!!!

"2 skeletons F**king on a tin roof". :lol2::lol2::lol2: Never heard that, before!!!!

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010

Good to hear you got a new tumbler. :thumbsup:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Ya know, I'm really gonna have to get some new glasses.

I read your post this morning, and I swear I read LID in the area that I have put in boldface and larger typeface in your post!!!!!!!!
    (And to think, I was reading it on a 22" LED monitor this morning, too!)

Sheeeeeeeeeesh. Getting old really isn't for sissies!!!!!!

DCR, I'm glad that the old BOWL fit the base!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.......

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Ya know, I'm really gonna have to get some new glasses.

I read your post this morning, and I swear I read LID in the area that I have put in boldface and larger typeface in your post!!!!!!!!
    (And to think, I was reading it on a 22" LED monitor this morning, too!)

Sheeeeeeeeeesh. Getting old really isn't for sissies!!!!!!

DCR, I'm glad that the old BOWL fit the base!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.......

It happens .... :lol2:

My old bowl, looks exactly like the one Lyman offers, the Classic 1200. Same color and all. I'll probably use the other bowl to run corn cob, and run walnut in the old one. I already have both media.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom