• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Im throwing around some ideas to build a precision varmint upper with a bull barrel in .223/5.56. Id like to put a free float handguard on my build.

On standard M4 Profiles with traditional handguards- the uppers use a delta ring, weld spring and snap ring and slotted barrel nut.

Does a free float handguard require a different specialized barrel nut to torque it to the reciever? Do these typically come with a handguard set, or are most of those barrel nuts alike?

Will a Milspec upper reciever work fine for a varmint type upper? I will scope this upper.

As of now Im just gathering info on parts, and see what is needed before I start to compile parts.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Are you be willing to get a complete barreled upper, or do you want to put it all together yourself? Free-floated is more complicated; but I have have never put one together. I just went with a complete upper from Palmetto State Armory. Bravo Company has some higher end hardware:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18 ss410 vtrx13.htm

I do think a Milspec upper receiver would work fine for a varmint type upper; don't see why it would not.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Depends on what kind of free float hand guard you get. Some use the stock barrel nut and others use their own proprietary nut.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

rnish

May 24, 2012
    Sampson handguards use a Mil std barrel nut. A lot if not most handguards that require a specialized barrel nut come with it for the purchase price of the handguard. However, YMMV

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Depends on the mfr, but many use a proprietary nut, like this YHM on my 20" bull barreled AR and yes, a mil-spec upper is fine... this one shoots sub moa with no problems..

IMG_0133800x445_zps673561a0.jpg

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Im throwing around some ideas to build a precision varmint upper with a bull barrel in .223/5.56. Id like to put a free float handguard on my build.

On standard M4 Profiles with traditional handguards- the uppers use a delta ring, weld spring and snap ring and slotted barrel nut.

Does a free float handguard require a different specialized barrel nut to torque it to the reciever? Do these typically come with a handguard set, or are most of those barrel nuts alike?

Will a Milspec upper reciever work fine for a varmint type upper? I will scope this upper.

As of now Im just gathering info on parts, and see what is needed before I start to compile parts.
    Depends on the handguard but in either case you need to remove the barrel nut to remove the Delta-ring and parts. Some handguards have their own nut built into the rear (Hogue). Some use a split ring clamp that fits around the stock nut (Samson and Troy). Others use a nut capture bracket in front and behind the stock nut (AP Custom). I have ones of all three types. I use Samson Evos on both hunting and LR ARs and SHTF short barreled M4 carbines, some 7" and some 15".
    The upper receiver is the same for all AR builds as long as you only use flat-top receivers. You don't want to use an A2 receiver with a carry handle on a hunting build with a scope. Puts the scope too high over the bore axis and reduces the total zero range of the setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom