• ...and so much more!
  • damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Please verify the following

Center fire cast bullets need around a hardness of around 12

Muzzle loaders need soft (pure lead) of a hardness of around 6

Wheel weights are harder lead good for center fire.

I mix my WW with softer lead and blend them for a 12 hardness. I use a sauce pan and an electric hot plate (1000 watts or better) for blending my lead. Then I mark each lot for lead constancy

freddie

Mar 20, 2013

I mix my WW with softer lead and blend them for a 12 hardness. I use a sauce pan and an electric hot plate (1000 watts or better) for blending my lead. Then I mark each lot for lead constancy

How do you test for hardness?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Hey Buff, how is it your Lee pot is so spotlessly clean? Geez...mine hasn't been that purdy in years! :innocent0

DCR and I are both pretty prolific boolit casters. Rock is right to encourage folks to consider casting as an extension of their reloading. For example: Did you know it's actually cheaper to shoot free 9mm range cases reloaded with 124 gr CB's than shooting most of the 22 rim fire ammo available? And the 9mm CB reloads I build are more accurate in my guns than WWB factory ammo. Go figure.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Hey Buff, how is it your Lee pot is so spotlessly clean? Geez...mine hasn't been that purdy in years! :innocent0

DCR and I are both pretty prolific boolit casters. Rock is right to encourage folks to consider casting as an extension of their reloading. For example: Did you know it's actually cheaper to shoot free 9mm range cases reloaded with 124 gr CB's than shooting most of the 22 rim fire ammo available? And the 9mm CB reloads I build are more accurate in my guns than WWB factory ammo. Go figure.

I have read from several that reloading is cheaper per round - if you have to buy all the components (how I started) it is way way more expensive and components are hard to come by. When ammo prices go up/hard to find, so do components.

Tough to get powder of choice.

You have to save brass and make your own castings - otherwise just an enjoyable hobby that allows a greater variety of loads.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I'll chime in. I've been casting for close to a year now and the price is much much lower.

I'm not as lucky as DCR with regards to free lead, but I've bought it from Ebay with decent results. I usually get it for around $1.50 a pound, shipped. My mailman hates me :)

I use the Lee 4-20 pot and all Lee molds. I cast for everything I shoot now except for .223, and I'm about to purchase a mold and sizer for that as well.

The last gun I bought (Ruger Blackhawk .44), I actually bought the mold and dies for it before I even picked up the gun. I had bullets already cast for it when I picked it up lol.

Its a fun hobby, and productive.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    I'll chime in. I've been casting for close to a year now and the price is much much lower.

I'm not as lucky as DCR with regards to free lead, but I've bought it from Ebay with decent results. I usually get it for around $1.50 a pound, shipped. My mailman hates me :)

I use the Lee 4-20 pot and all Lee molds. I cast for everything I shoot now except for .223, and I'm about to purchase a mold and sizer for that as well.

The last gun I bought (Ruger Blackhawk .44), I actually bought the mold and dies for it before I even picked up the gun. I had bullets already cast for it when I picked it up lol.

Its a fun hobby, and productive.

Your mailman probably mutters "if it fits, it ships" angrily under his breath every time he turns on your street.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Your mailman probably mutters "if it fits, it ships" angrily under his breath every time he turns on your street.

LOL I picked up a medium flat rate box from the PO a few months ago and when Ramone at the counter handed the box over to me he said, What the hell is in that thing ? I said, Lead, He said, I believe you. I said, you better. Then I opened the box there on the counter to show him. His eyes got a big a dinner plates as they say.

The first box of lead I ordered off of ebay a few years ago was a complete fail. I got the box with no Lead in it, so, make sure you pay for insurance. This was a small flat rate box of 10 pounds. It never made it, but, the bottom flap on the box was wide open.

I try to buy lead or get it from a local friend when I can find someone who has it, but, ebay seems to be a very hassle free way to buy it. You just have to find that Seller that knows how to ship it.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._

There are alot of variables to that. It depends on what you are loading, and how you are loading too.

And to the person who asked how do you test hardness - they do make lead hardness testers, that will give you the reading in Brinell (BHN)

That being said Wheelweight lead is plenty hard for most standard handgun loads.

I also run wheelweight lead in my muzzleloader, with great results. If your using a hollow base bullet, then a softer lead would be needed for obturation. But for what I shoot it works fine.

Wheelweight lead typically has a hardness rating of 9 BHN. Pure lead is 5 BHN.

There was an intresting tidbit in that link I posted for the free cast bullet book, about commercial cast bullets advertising & manufacturing very hard cast bullets (20 BHN). The main reasoning for that is so that the bullets can be shipped without damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom