Solicited to buy handgun ilegaly. Is this a common thing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • britishjohnhall

So I listed a cheap handgun (hi-point380) on armslist the other day. I had several people contact me about it, most of which had little to no clue about the new HQL requirments. One person though seemed interested in it and didn't seem to care about the legal way of purchasing it. First he said it was for his uncle (so I quickly explained why that wasn't going to work):bs:.
    Then he went on to say that he understood, but he had the money in hand and may also pay extra money. Does this happen regularly? has anyone else had this situation?

FYI he ain't getting it!

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Call the folks who were so worried about illegal purchases that they gave us the HQL. Document the process (or lack of). Then when they do Nothing call Emily Miller.

britishjohnhall

Armslist specifically says they do not get involved in firearms transactions. They tell you to call the ATF to report illegal firearms activity. Does this warrant a call? or at least to the local MSP barracks? I try to avoid drama wherever possible, but at the same time its fools like this that make our lives harder.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Armslist specifically says they do not get involved in firearms transactions. They tell you to call the ATF to report illegal firearms activity. Does this warrant a call? or at least to the local MSP barracks? I try to avoid drama wherever possible, but at the same time its fools like this that make our lives harder.

Call Frosh. :innocent0

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    when has the government ever passed a new law and NOT had a crackdown to publicize it?

we can use the new cellphone while driving primary offense law as an example. the weekend after it went into effect, police were setting up on the roads to catch as many people as possible, and the government lap dog media was there to propagandize every moment.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Agree to the sale, call the MSP and inform them of the time/place you are meeting said individual. They will be there and can scoop him up.

If it is them, you just called their bluff and busted them.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Agree to the sale, call the MSP and inform them of the time/place you are meeting said individual. They will be there and can scoop him up.

I don't know that I would agree before contacting MSP. I'm pretty sure "offer" is a word used in the laws on the books.

the "don't talk to the police" video comes to mind.

Kadath

Sep 30, 2013
    How big of a PITA are these gun auction sites in general? Anyone have regular success? O am trying to nail down a new sig and it seems like these sites are my best bet....

helg

Dec 26, 2008
    First he said it was for his uncle (so I quickly explained why that wasn't going to work)
    As I understand, If
    - I arrange a sale, and even pay for a gun, which somebody else (e.g. "uncle") is going to own
    - that "somebody else" (i.e. the uncle) has an HQL, and fills all needed forms for transfer with FFL dealer,
    then it is fine.
    In other words, one can buy a gun for his uncle.

Seller just takes the money, and gives a gun to FFL dealer. Receiving the gun from the delaler is not seller's problem.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013

NEVER agree to an Illegal act!! You say let me get back to you and then take what ever action you deem - call MSP or just walk away from it, but NEVER agree unless directed to by a LEO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom