• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Dont know if any of the casters who shoot 300 AAC blackout seen this, but Lee now is making a mold for a 230 grain .309" for 300 AAC Blackout. Tumble lube bands.

90307-02.jpg

http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-tl309-230-5r.html

I dont load or shoot this round, but figured I pass it on.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Oh man, I'm trying to cut back on purchases, but.. that is just toooo sexy to not have in my arsenal for the 300blk!!

Thanks! :beer:

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    One thing nice about Lee's molds, is that they are not overpriced. You cant even buy a box of bullets for the price they charge for their 2 cavity molds. You get many 1000's of bullets for that $19.99 mold. Basically pays for itself the first time you use it.

Id be curious on how a cast bullet with alox would work on a suppressor. Id imagine the elements inside the can would get clogged up. That mold weight seems to be geared to running sub sonics, in turn for running through a can.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I haven't got into casting yet, but it sure looks good!

Any issues casting bullets for AR's?
    Not if you are loading subsonics for the 300AAC, the velocity is fine for loading cast boolits.. now if you are loading for 308 and cranking them up to supersonic velocities, then you will have some issues with leading for sure! ;)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    One thing nice about Lee's molds, is that they are not overpriced. You cant even buy a box of bullets for the price they charge for their 2 cavity molds. You get many 1000's of bullets for that $19.99 mold. Basically pays for itself the first time you use it.

Id be curious on how a cast bullet with alox would work on a suppressor. Id imagine the elements inside the can would get clogged up. That mold weight seems to be geared to running sub sonics, in turn for running through a can.
    Good question! I don't run a suppressor (yet) for my 300, but I like the fact that I can cast some loads for the non-suppressed pistol! :)

An ultrasonic cleaner could likely remedy that issue with a can...

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Judging on what I get inside my Cutts Comp on my Tommy, Id imagine it could be an issue. I do get lead & burned lube reside in the slots. It comes out but you have to pick at it & it comes out in hard chunks. And this is just running at 45ACP velocity.

On the other hand they do make bolt guns that run 300AAC too.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    On the 300blackout forum, it appears that everyone using this lead bullet with a suppressor is powder coating the bullet to prevent leading of the suppressor.

-Jim

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    I mean no disrespect to anyone who likes the bullets but that BT design adds nothing to cast and is a big turn off for me. I doubt I would ever purchase it unless it was in a attempt to remove the BT from the mold. I would guess midway did it for the cool factor. That is just asking for gas cutting.

I have heard of guys being able to seat a gas check on it however for anyone wanting to shoot it in other 308 caliber guns supersonic.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    On the 300blackout forum, it appears that everyone using this lead bullet with a suppressor is powder coating the bullet to prevent leading of the suppressor.

-Jim

I have a few friends that reload and shoot .300blk that are doing this. It is working pretty well for them.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I've been looking into the Hi-Tek coating.. anyone try it for coating casts? PC is too much of a pain.. lol

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I have one of these molds, they work fine as a subsonic load. They are finicky in my carbine length, work great in my pistol length AR.

I have to size mine down to .309, they drop a little fat and if they aren't sized they tend to stovepipe in my carbine.

Other than that they work fine using LLA as a lube.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I have the. mold, have cast a few, gas checks seat easy on the boat tail. Now if I could just find a suitable powder to work up some loads.

With gas checks you can use h110, Lil gun, or imr 4227 for a slightly supersonic load.

A1680 is the only powder I use for subs that is reliable.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    I've been looking into the Hi-Tek coating.. anyone try it for coating casts? PC is too much of a pain.. lol

From what I hear, PC is actually quite easy. I haven't tried it yet but a bunch of folks over on castboolits are way into this. It seems you can buy the powder from Harbor Freight for 7.00 (16 oz), pre-warm the boolits to about 125/150, and run in the tumbler with a small amount of powder for 10-20 minutes. Remove and bake at 400 degrees for x minutes. Supposed to work great. I have my powder and tumbler, and just received my mold. I'll be finding out when we get some nicer weather. (The HF black is a "flat" and tends to clump (this is remedied by tumbling with a small amount of acetone). The other colors are gloss and do a nice smooth job.)

To the OP, thanks for this listing. I have several 06 molds, but this one looks interesting. I'll have to check it out.

OB

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    From what I hear, PC is actually quite easy. I haven't tried it yet but a bunch of folks over on castboolits are way into this. It seems you can buy the powder from Harbor Freight for 7.00 (16 oz), pre-warm the boolits to about 125/150, and run in the tumbler with a small amount of powder for 10-20 minutes. Remove and bake at 400 degrees for x minutes. Supposed to work great. I have my powder and tumbler, and just received my mold. I'll be finding out when we get some nicer weather. (The HF black is a "flat" and tends to clump (this is remedied by tumbling with a small amount of acetone). The other colors are gloss and do a nice smooth job.)

To the OP, thanks for this listing. I have several 06 molds, but this one looks interesting. I'll have to check it out.

OB

Following this thread, if this is really that easy I'll be doing this for mine.

Thanks,

Rich

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    With gas checks you can use h110, Lil gun, or imr 4227 for a slightly supersonic load.

A1680 is the only powder I use for subs that is reliable.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

That's what I've been reading. Just haven't found the powders without paying crazy hazmat fees. Hopefully this insanity will slow down soon.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

OB
    Hmm... that's a method I'd not heard about... bears some investigation, thanks!

I may try the Hi-Tek too, just got my mold this week from Lee.. :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom