Immediate Action Required -- Urge Gov. Larry Hogan to veto HB 1302 ("red flag bill")

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Does this mean a legal challenge might be considered?

I would need a plaintiff with standing to mount an equal protection challenge. Who wants to volunteer? To have standing, you would have to be able to allege that application of this law is imminent as to you!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    At the risk of playing mini-mod, this helpful information would be of benefit in the how to avoid being 1302ed thread.

This veto thread is now moot.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    But an involuntary commitment BEFORE a hearing still makes you prohibited.

No due process there

You can't impose "involuntary commitment" without a hearing. See MD Code Health General Section 10–632. IN this sense "involuntary commitment" is more than a detention for evaluation.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Well, the problem with my idea is that being involuntarily committed to a mental health facility is an automatic disqualifier under both the GCA and Maryland law. So, although there could be a local legislative fix in MD to address a short-duration commitment under an ERPO, Congress isn't going to do something similar.

I don't know how you skin this cat. How do you take emergency action to neuter a dangerous person pending a hearing without implicating all sorts of other issues?

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Well, the problem with my idea is that being involuntarily committed to a mental health facility is an automatic disqualifier under both the GCA and Maryland law. So, although there could be a local legislative fix in MD to address a short-duration commitment under an ERPO, Congress isn't going to do something similar.

I don't know how you skin this cat. How do you take emergency action to neuter a dangerous person pending a hearing without implicating all sorts of other issues?

You CAN’T!

That “gap” is called “freedom under the Constitution.”

It can never be closed.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    We have an open society, plus freedom that allows potentially dangerous people to be out in public amongst us. It was a decision made 240 years ago.

We have common law to roll up the symptomatic mentally ill who pose a danger.

We know where most of the criminals are but must catch them in the act.

In between are citizens who own guns who may have moods that scare people. Tough luck. It’s the American system that disallows The Thought Police.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    All in 'due' time ...

I would need a plaintiff with standing to mount an equal protection challenge. Who wants to volunteer? To have standing, you would have to be able to allege that application of this law is imminent as to you!

It will happen as sure as the sun rises and sets every day. And, I can almost bet it will be an MDS member or someone who has been prominent in the gun rights movement here locally. No need for a volunteer, someone will 'volunteer' you. If the powers that be can secretly order you arrested for exercising your 1A right on a sidewalk in NapTown, they can anonymously order your firearms seized. As Rush would say ...

Attachments

• HB1302.jpg
      HB1302.jpg
      24.2 KB · Views: 243

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The * Involuntary Commitment* that triggers being Prohibited is a specific legal proceeding .

Under discussion here might be against your voluntary will , and you might be getting your head shrunken , but its not the same thing until the procedures in 10-632 take place .

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Being adjudicated a mental defective or admitted to a mental facility is also a Federal prohibitor.

Attachments

• federal.jpg
      federal.jpg
      84.4 KB · Views: 413

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    elaboration regarding the federal disqualifier

From the Code of Federal Regulations

27 CFR § 478.11 Meaning of terms.

[. . . ]

Act. 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44.

Adjudicated as a mental defective.

(a) A determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that a person, as a result of marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease:

(1) Is a danger to himself or to others; or

(2) Lacks the mental capacity to contract or manage his own affairs.

(b) The term shall include -

(1) A finding of insanity by a court in a criminal case; and

(2) Those persons found incompetent to stand trial or found not guilty by reason of lack of mental responsibility pursuant to articles 50a and 72b of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, 10 U.S.C. 850a, 876b.

[. . .]

Committed to a mental institution.

A formal commitment of a person to a mental institution by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority. The term includes a commitment to a mental institution involuntarily. The term includes commitment for mental defectiveness or mental illness. It also includes commitments for other reasons, such as for drug use. The term does not include a person in a mental institution for observation or a voluntary admission to a mental institution.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    The major difference being that in MD a voluntary commitment that exceeds 30 days also makes you a prohibited person

Yes. To further elaborate: That provision applies to admission "for more than 30 consecutive days to a facility as defined in § 10–101 of the Health – General Article." § 10–101 of the Health – General Article defines "facility" to include "any public or private clinic, hospital, or other institution that provides or purports to provide treatment or other services for individuals who have mental disorder," but "does not include a Veterans' Administration hospital."

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Yes. To further elaborate: That provision applies to admission "for more than 30 consecutive days to a facility as defined in § 10–101 of the Health – General Article." § 10–101 of the Health – General Article defines "facility" to include "any public or private clinic, hospital, or other institution that provides or purports to provide treatment or other services for individuals who have mental disorder," but "does not include a Veterans' Administration hospital."

You must have been a fine lawyer in one of your past lives!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom