• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    you're not the only one. Saw one duck on the Potomac all morning Christmas eve

Rough morning. I was surprised I didn't even see anything flying. I didn't even hear any geese. I figured it would have been a good morning Christmas Eve with the rain. I am going to try to get out again Thursday morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    I was out in Frederick last weekend for the Santa Train. Saw two groups of ducks flying along the Monocacy, about 15+ in each group. Saw about 200 geese feeding in a cut cornfield by the Monocacy. That was the morning that was a real mess weather wise with freezing rain, slush, etc. I've seen some migratory geese coming in here and there, but not very much compared to years past.

A buddy of mine that hunts an island on the Potomac has yet to kill a goose or a duck and he and his son hunt every weekend.

Other than seeing 500 geese a couple of weeks ago in a field I hunt, there really hasn't been that many birds around.

I guess that is my silver lining in the cloud since I cannot get out yet and hunt.

Good luck to you guys that are heading out there.

Haha. I feel the same, I've only been able to get out a few times so far. So if no one else seeing much I feel better about it.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    you're not the only one. Saw one duck on the Potomac all morning Christmas eve

We went out yesterday and my son managed to call a pair into our decoys and shoot one before I had my gun loaded. :mad54:

Other than those two at first light we saw very few ducks the rest of the day.

Last edited:

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    My buddies went out yesterday, I didn't go but will be going Friday. Lots of mallards just below Denton on the Choptank

Attachments

• duck 12-26.jpg
      duck 12-26.jpg
      100 KB · Views: 271

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Nice mixed bag 556ready. We shot 7 buffies this morning and had 2 geese try to land while we were out in the boat getting decoys. Had to go to work so we didn't wait for the late geese to fly. Not a bad Friday morning.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Duck hunted the Outerbanks this week.

First time for me.

1st day shot out of a Floating Blind, and got me a Hen Red Head, a Long Tail, and a Buffel Head.

2nd day shot out of a regular bling, and got me a Merganser, and a bunch of Buffel Heads.

Attachments

• IMG_1563.jpg
      IMG_1563.jpg
      81.4 KB · Views: 240
    • IMG_1586.jpg
      IMG_1586.jpg
      106.8 KB · Views: 241

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Duck hunted the Outerbanks this week.

First time for me.

1st day shot out of a Floating Blind, and got me a Hen Red Head, a Long Tail, and a Buffel Head.

2nd day shot out of a regular bling, and got me a Merganser, and a bunch of Buffel Heads.

How is the duck hunting in the Outer Banks? I saw so many duck blinds out on the water when we went fishing down there, that it was amazing. Saw a large island with a large house on it, and it was for a hunting club. If I had to guess, I would guess that waterfowling in the Outer Banks is NICE, but it would be nice to get a first hand report.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    How is the duck hunting in the Outer Banks? I saw so many duck blinds out on the water when we went fishing down there, that it was amazing. Saw a large island with a large house on it, and it was for a hunting club. If I had to guess, I would guess that waterfowling in the Outer Banks is NICE, but it would be nice to get a first hand report.

The outfit I used was Outerbanks Waterfowl. The owner Vic Berg his wife Ellen are first class. On the second day, breakfast was cooked for us in the blind.

I know the island you are talking about, and hunted the type of water blind you speak of. The Floating blind was an actual boat that gets converted into a blind, so that was a little different.

As for the hunting. No one in our group of 6 caught their limit. But those that have been going for years before, said that they usually do.

My wife's brother in law and I will probably check out other hunts, but will make this one a yearly staple.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    29 mph wind gusts and whitecaps on the Potomac this morning. Pretty bouncy in the kayak. The upside is that my son has finally come to grips with the seriousness of cold water boating. He said something about how he now knows how duck hunters die when things go bad out on the water.
    It was snow flurrying when we left around 10:30.

Attachments

• IMG_8075.jpg
      IMG_8075.jpg
      39.6 KB · Views: 234
    • IMG_8074.jpg
      IMG_8074.jpg
      145.5 KB · Views: 238

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    29 mph wind gusts and whitecaps on the Potomac this morning. Pretty bouncy in the kayak. The upside is that my son has finally come to grips with the seriousness of cold water boating. He said something about how he now knows how duck hunters die when things go bad out on the water.
    It was snow flurrying when we left around 10:30.

Be careful out there with winds like this. My buddy died a month ago fishing a tournament on the Potomac. He and 2 others died and another has a long road to recovery. Fish, ducks, deer, etc. aren't worth losing your life over. 20 years ago, a buddy of mine lost his teenage son on the South River when the jon boat capsized and the kid went under the ice.

Mother nature is not very forgiving.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Sat in the rain on the south river for 6 hours and shot one hooded merganser at 1100. Saw four mallards at 0655 but other than that it was a crap day.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Hunted down in church hill yesterday and the birds were flying good but noting close. The highlight of the day was when a fox tried and grab one of my duck decoys out of a pond.

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    Went out this morning in Frederick county. Saw about 12 mallards. Had 4 come in we're getting ready to circle then took off. The rest were high tailing it down the river. We saw an eagle circling our marsh, thinking that's why none of the ducks would come in.

Saw about 50 geese, had a group of about a dozen get ready to come in but just circled and left.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Went out this morning in Frederick county. Saw about 12 mallards. Had 4 come in we're getting ready to circle then took off. The rest were high tailing it down the river. We saw an eagle circling our marsh, thinking that's why none of the ducks would come in.

Saw about 50 geese, had a group of about a dozen get ready to come in but just circled and left.

Sounds like an active, morning did you kill any?

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Friday I shot one Bluebill and a hen buffie. Saturday we shot 55 snows on the eastern shore. Not a great day but not horrible I guess. Sat all afternoon Saturday for Canadas with no luck. Divers seem to be in pretty thick down here. Hoping to get out Thursday and Friday this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom