Effect of modifications on resale value?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shekaar

Apr 26, 2018
    Well I had no idea you folks were so active on this forum haha. No worries on the sidebar, it's all good stuff!

My modifications on my XDm specifically that I wondered about were installed by PRP, so they aren't a homebrew style modification. It still sounds like this market is similar to a performance car market, in that the ROI will never be there.

As I get more into firearms in the coming months while starting in new employment, I'll be sure to keep whatever I pick up as stock in the event I ever want to re-sell.

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    i don't know if it would increase the value by itself, but selling to someone that knows a lot about AR's it might. i find that people that know all that, are so specific (picky) that they probably won't buy it because is won't have all the parts they want. it used to be that you could build a computer for less than what you could buy one for, but now, I think putting all the effort into verifying compatibility and research isnt worth it.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Well I had no idea you folks were so active on this forum haha. No worries on the sidebar, it's all good stuff!

My modifications on my XDm specifically that I wondered about were installed by PRP, so they aren't a homebrew style modification. It still sounds like this market is similar to a performance car market, in that the ROI will never be there.

As I get more into firearms in the coming months while starting in new employment, I'll be sure to keep whatever I pick up as stock in the event I ever want to re-sell.
    +1 on the PRP upgrades for Springers... I have them in all of mine. Huge improvement! Triggers, extended mag release, fatter backstop safety, etc.

shekaar

Apr 26, 2018
    +1 on the PRP upgrades for Springers... I have them in all of mine. Huge improvement! Triggers, extended mag release, fatter backstop safety, etc.

The PRP stuff I have installed has been such a significant improvement on the stock offerings, it's what really spurred my question. It would be really difficult to go back to factory.

I start a new job in September where I'll be carrying a P226, so at some point I'll look to sell or swap my XDm for one. I definitely have a better idea now on the mod effect, and I kept all the factory bits for just this situation!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At Post #61 , that's not quite what I'm saying.

For a gun to actually use , don't obsess over resale value . If a well thought out improvement will significantly improve your shooting, then do it . Just realize the only return on your $ is its improved usefulness To You .

FWIW , stock XDm and stock Glock have perfectly usable triggers . The usually cited example of otherwise is the S&W Smegma. The trigger is unbelievablely bad, and essentially unusable. ( After its first cpl of years, the only reason for its continued existence is the dirt cheap price point. But even presuming you like the ergos and basic design , by the time you spend for needed trigger mods, it brings you to the price range of the much better, and under rated SD series.)

shekaar

Apr 26, 2018
    At Post #61 , that's not quite what I'm saying.

For a gun to actually use , don't obsess over resale value . If a well thought out improvement will significantly improve your shooting, then do it . Just realize the only return on your $ is its improved usefulness To You .

FWIW , stock XDm and stock Glock have perfectly usable triggers . The usually cited example of otherwise is the S&W Smegma. The trigger is unbelievablely bad, and essentially unusable. ( After its first cpl of years, the only reason for its continued existence is the dirt cheap price point. But even presuming you like the ergos and basic design , by the time you spend for needed trigger mods, it brings you to the price range of the much better, and under rated SD series.)

Got it, I understand your meaning.

I do agree, the stock XDm trigger is very much usable, as are all of the Glocks I've shot. I mostly got the PRP kit to reduce the pull weight and to smooth the overall feel. It was by no means a needed modification. At the end of the day you're right, it's all about what works for the owner:thumbsup:

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    LWRC DI M-LOK 5.56
    I was hoping with this purchase, they would know I'm a serious buyer. I already had plans to return for additional rifles. The way this was handled, my money will go to someone else.

Coyote Tan utterly curb-stomps Flat Desert Meme, especially on that gun. You done lucked out, boy.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Mods seldom increase real value, because, as in cars, you would have to find the perfect buyer that agrees with all your choices.

2) If you asked for FDE, they told you it was FDE, they wrote the sales slip as FDE, and it is, they should exchnage it for FDE, or give you a partial refund for their mistake. This is if they ordered it for their stock, and sold it. If you ordered it online and they just did the transfer, yo need to go after the seller.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Some mods can actually enhance a vehicle's value. Not for the purist nor true collector, but some of the more "mainstream" vehicles. May not get the cost of the mod back, but it can enhance the value some.

Guns, haven't seen a case yet where a properly fitted Kart barrel wouldn't enhance the value of a gov't pattern RIA. Wouldn't enhance it the same as in a Springer. And as cited, one wouldn't get the full cost of that modification. But that also is not a collectible gun. So the modification value would be more along the shooting value as opposed to a collectible value (as bigfoot44 noted above).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom