FAL in anything but 7.62: possibly exempt?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have to say, I am honestly not sure why people want an FAL so badly. M1A I get, its a classic. FAL though, seems like there are lots of better and less expensive options out there.

Historic reasons same as the M1A. FAL is the right arm of the free world. It was used nearly everywhere. Far more than the M14. The FAL, G3, and M14 are the trio that were used (and I think in order of number used.) I snagged a FAL just before the MD ban for that reason. I don't like shooting it much. DSA trigger is HORRIBLE so I just dug it out of the safe a week ago and will send to Williams for a trigger job. Only took 6+ years to get around to it;)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Logical extension since there are other .223 AKs such as the Yugo M90P that are good to go. Actually, just looked it up, the Norinco 84s in .223 is "Not Banned" per MSP. Cert date of 2/28/18. So you can see this is the (very beneficial) logic they're using: different caliber = different rifle.

FN-FAL models in .308/7.62x51 are banned. Change the caliber and it's a different rifle.

The Polytech M14 is somehow not banned, presumably because the law specifically states "Springfield Armory" and the Polytech has a few minute differences from the M1A. The Fulton Armory M65, for example, is also good to go.

So here's an idea: How about an L1A1? Inch pattern so it technically uses different magazines than the FAL. You can always submit and note all of the differences between the L1A1 and FAL and see what they say. Might be good to go. If not, back to doing a 6.5 or .243 FAL which would almost certainly be good to go. DISREGARD, I now see the L1A1 is not kosher per MSP. Might be disputable though and possible to ask for a new decision since they are technically different than the FAL (e.g. the magazines, some internal parts) but they're close enough that they might not even consider it. In any case, a different caliber FAL should be good to go based on all of their other decisions since 2013

MSP seems to be taking that tack, but the law doesn't really say that.

They say FN-FAL is banned. Not in XX caliber. For SOME rifles on the ban list, a caliber IS listed.

So any FN-FAL should be banned. Your point about the L1A1 is valid, as it is not a copy (based on AG guidance for what a copy is) as the parts do not interchange.

The PolyTech M14 is not banned by name, as it is called M14, not M1A. And it is not banned as a copy, as the parts do not directly interchange with the M1A.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Love my FAL. That aside, there are pics somewhere if 5.56 FALs that take AR mags. I’m sure they are stupid expensive if you find one though.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    The FN FNC, if not a transferable machine gun, is banned in Maryland for being a "Black, evil, and SCARY" gun.

The point of this thread was to inquire about altering an FAL to an intermediate or high caliber round to bypass the law through a loophole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom