IMG_7570.jpg
      69.2 KB · Views: 1,331
    • IMG_7573.jpg
      IMG_7573.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 1,330

gslenk

Mar 24, 2018
    Whats on the barrel? Caliber?

The stock, bolt, and profile look like a Remington 700.

There is an insignia or design on the bolt handle?

That's the problem... the only marking I found without removing anything (screws/optic/etc) was the stamp on the bolt handle.

I opened the chamber and found nothing. I am not with the rifle right now. I looked in (what I thought are) the obvious places but found nothing.

Try loading some bullets? or bring out the calipers to check caliber?

I guess the engraving/knurling pattern looks like this 700, but they are two different guns, and the 700 has markings to indicate what it is. (attached, not the gun from the first post)

Attachments

• IMG_7551.jpg
      IMG_7551.jpg
      59.7 KB · Views: 1,323

gslenk

Mar 24, 2018
    If I remove the scope, how likely is it that it will return to where it was when I replace it? I read about some older mounted optics are meant to be swapped between guns and the zero is set on the mounts that remain on the gun.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    My Father brought an Arisaka home from WWII. It has the Bolt release on the left side under the scope mount but the safety is different.
    I guess it is a Mauser of some sort?
    I own a Remington 700 BDL from the 80's and it does not have that bolt release on it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Mauser. Unmistakeable.

It's a Model 98, likely a conversion of a milsurp. A lot of sporting rifles were built on surplus Model '98 actions.

Very different from a Remington 700.

Notice the huge extractor on the side of the bolt. That screams "Mauser" from two counties away. Totally different from the M700 push-feed set up. The Mauser extractor catches the rim of the cartridge before it enters the chamber, providing "controlled feed."

You will see that same Mauser extractor on commercial near-clones like the Winchester Model 70 and the Ruger 77.

Bet the farm.... Mauser. :D Converted safety or commercial. :innocent0

The safety looks reshaped a bit, but otherwise unconverted. It looks like it won't clear the scope, though.

mauser i like but why convert the safety ? never mind for the scope looked at pic again

Are we looking at the same picture? Third one down.

If you need to find the caliber, you can make a chamber cast with cerrosafe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DByaASz_HNk

gslenk

Mar 24, 2018
    mauser i like but why convert the safety ? never mind for the scope looked at pic again

I was not the original owner. I was already disappointed once by the work done to a Rem Rand M1911. Hope I don't get too much more of that...

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Zero doubt in my mind that it is a Mauser based on the bolt and safely. I would believe it to be commercial or a very good milspec conversion based on the commercial style safety lever and blueing appearance. The safety lever is a short throw designed for a scope. Otherwise it wouldn’t work as it would have to go all the way to the other side. The milspec safety’s had a 180* throw.

I had a commercial FN that looked similar. If you remove the action from the stock there should be some markings just below the stock line if it is FN made.

If commercial, many of them were 30-06 caliber.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    The safety looks reshaped a bit, but otherwise unconverted. It looks like it won't clear the scope, though.
    [/QUOTE]

Could it be Satan with a commercial mauser and timney safety??? :shocked2:
    church%2Blady.jpg

1002_lps_mausersafety.png

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Take her out of the wood to see if the underside is marked. Best to do a chamber cast to really know what she is. She is a nice old Mauser deer rifle. Granddad paid $8.50 for her.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    More than likely there will be some type of stamping under that rear scope base. Mauser like almost everyone has said. If I had to guess, it's a commercial mauser chambered for the 30.06, but that's just a guess.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom