The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Family photo. Left to right:
    Salvo 12 (with Rem IC mount)
    Hybrid w/ ASR mount
    Octane 9 w/ old-style 3-lug mount
    Sparrow w/ GemTech QDA22 mount (for 22lr rifles)
    Tac65 (for 22lr pistols)

Just need a Chimera for my ultra-short pre-ban SBRs and a Maxim 9, and I'll be done (until I decide I'm not done). Well, wait, I just counted and I have 19 stamps. Two more would be 21, and that's not even. Maybe I'll also SBR a lower, and grab a DD and an AOW. Ugh, still one short...

Attachments

• IMG_1636.jpg
      IMG_1636.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 686

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    Oh yeah... let’s see your stupid Shockwave/Tac14 do this: 25” w/ screw in choke to 12”

Attachments

• 96B1C68C-C419-44DE-B4B8-E529915EAC79.jpg
      96B1C68C-C419-44DE-B4B8-E529915EAC79.jpg
      42 KB · Views: 604
    • BD2D7650-ABEE-4CBA-913A-BA6E3E720BAB.jpg
      BD2D7650-ABEE-4CBA-913A-BA6E3E720BAB.jpg
      34.9 KB · Views: 633

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    nice, how quick...easy is it to switch barrels like that?

It takes about 30 seconds.

You unscrew the endcap from the magazine tube, pull the barrel off, put the other one on, and screw the endcap back on.

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    It takes about 30 seconds.

You unscrew the endcap from the magazine tube, pull the barrel off, put the other one on, and screw the endcap back on.

thank you. that sounds like the way to go. one shotgun, and you have everything covered. this looks like a remington 870? are mossbergs just as easy?

d_c

Jul 7, 2009
    Texas
    Oh yeah... let’s see your stupid Shockwave/Tac14 do this: 25” w/ screw in choke to 12”

Where did you get the short barrel? I'm trying to find a 12.5" for my 870 SBS but haven't had any luck. Starting to get the itch to break out the hacksaw... :ohnoes:

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Where did you get the short barrel? I'm trying to find a 12.5" for my 870 SBS but haven't had any luck. Starting to get the itch to break out the hacksaw... :ohnoes:

i dont know, but i think you have to have it crowned, even if you hacksaw it longer than 18". might be an old folk story, but something to check before destroying a perfectly good barrel.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    I bought it about 20 years ago as a "Witness Protection Shotgun" except in 20ga. I thought it was an AOW but, ATF disagreed and said that it had been misclassified during a dealer transfer & that I owed them $195. In the meantime the dealer I bought it from went out of business so, I couldn't give it back even if he wanted to. It turned out in the end as I soon realized how limited pistol gripped shotguns are, I added the regular stock. It's a standard frame Wingmaster 2 3/4", blued but not engraved. I eventually found pre '77 barrel that was full choked. I sent it to Colonial Arms in Alabama to cut it to 25", thread it for chokes tubes & mount the front sight so it would be a bit more usable as a back up skeet/field gun.

Swapping barrels is that easy for most any pump shotgun. Both Remington & Mossberg sell two barrel sets (of course with the short barrel being 18"), I've even seen a three barrel that had a rifled slug barrel w/ the cantilever mount.

As far as cutting a barrel yourself; assuming it doesn't have rib, rifling, etc. it's just a tube. I think Midway or Brownell's sells a jig/guide so you can cut a straight edge (I'm sure with a how to video). If you wanted to be cheap about it a pipe cutter from Home Depot would work, although mess up the finish if you cared. You could probably recrown it with a dremel or even a hand file. The only tricky work is mounting a bead or front sight if you want to get fancy (presentable).

Last edited:

d_c

Jul 7, 2009
    Texas
    i dont know, but i think you have to have it crowned, even if you hacksaw it longer than 18". might be an old folk story, but something to check before destroying a perfectly good barrel.

No worries, I was speaking figuratively. I'd do it on my lathe if it came to it, but I'd like to keep the original barrel if possible.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Itsy bitsy spider found it way home.

Spikes tactical “ brown recluse” integrally suppressed AR9

Attachments

• 51F9D230-B9BD-4DA4-B454-D5DAA0D7A463.jpg
      51F9D230-B9BD-4DA4-B454-D5DAA0D7A463.jpg
      80.3 KB · Views: 523

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    Old school Thompson Machine in the E&E kit:

Attachments

• AA4FFB87-438C-4553-85CE-A97AC9F72EC8.jpg
      AA4FFB87-438C-4553-85CE-A97AC9F72EC8.jpg
      117.9 KB · Views: 777

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Itsy bitsy spider found it way home.

Spikes tactical “ brown recluse” integrally suppressed AR9

How do you like it? I am building an integrally suppressed 9mm with a CMMG radial delayed blowback barrel/bolt.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    How do you like it? I am building an integrally suppressed 9mm with a CMMG radial delayed blowback barrel/bolt.

It’s well made. There is no manual available. No schematic diagram. The manual is still in the works as per spikes. So it’s a big mystery. The suppressor is huge. It’s preceded by a stainless steel blast chamber that encapsulates the entire barrel.

I’m going to try and take the can apart to see how it’s configured.

I haven’t really fired it yet. Darn work gets in the way of trigger time. But I’ll do a range report as soon as I run some rounds through it.

I’ll also compare it to the MP5SD. And see how it stacks up.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It’s well made. There is no manual available. No schematic diagram. The manual is still in the works as per spikes. So it’s a big mystery. The suppressor is huge. It’s preceded by a stainless steel blast chamber that encapsulates the entire barrel.

I’m going to try and take the can apart to see how it’s configured.

I haven’t really fired it yet. Darn work gets in the way of trigger time. But I’ll do a range report as soon as I run some rounds through it.

I’ll also compare it to the MP5SD. And see how it stacks up.

I am most interested in how it compare to an MP5-SD. I compared my Colt pattern 9mm SBR (5” bbl) and CMMG delayed blowback, and they metered the same at muzzle and ejection port with my decibel meter. I got the weight kit for the bolt and will play with it. I am planning a large volume suppressor, and will see where that goes.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I was able to spend an hour at the range this afternoon to test fire the brown recluse.
    Ammo was an assortment of steel case wolf, federal brass case 115 fmj, blaser aluminum 115, wwb and 147 grain subs.

The initial impression. The gun is well made. The fittIng and finish is superb.
    The upper consist of a flat top, no forward assist, 9mm brass deflector , magpul mbus sights, spikes BAR rail encapsulates a 6.75” barrel ( ported at the base) and a modified alfalfa suppressor that’s setup in a reflex configuration with a stainless steel blast chamber around the ported end of the barrel. The gun came in with a custom nylon case with molle attachment points, sights, sight adjustment tool, qd sling mount, maglula, suppressor end cap removal tool and instructions ( for a standard AR, no manual for the suppressor )

First, rounds were fired at a shoot n see target at 25 yards. The first two shots were about 4” low but centered. Several clicks on the red dot for elevation got the weapon at 25yard zero within 7 rounds. 50 rounds were fired at thIs distance. The groups were about 1.5” at this distance. The barrel and sights were aligned. No need for windage adjustments. The rear magpul right was also spot on. It’s set at the middle tick mark.

No malfunction for the first 60 rounds.

Switched to 100 yard rifle target. The rifle grouped a remarkable 3” average at 109 yards. Hitting an empty cardboard ammo box at 100 yards was easy. For some strange reason. There is no holdover/ under for 100 yards when zeroed at 25. I m guessing that the secondary zero is around 100. Well that worked out. Besides, it’s a 9mm. 100 is plenty enough distance for the little poodle shooter.

Now how about the sound or report? Well hot damn. This is Hollywood quiet. A suppressed 22 firing subs is louder. My iPhone decibel meter app states 117 decibels peak. I think that’s accurate. It’s much quieter than my mp5sd. That’s to state a lot. But it’s true. Spikes scores a touchdown with this suppressed upper. Especially when you consider it’s firing standard velocity ammo. I used a 147 grain subsonic fmj on it. ( hush puppy ammo). I can’t really hear a difference in sound.

The cases ejected consistently. Landing in a neat pile on my right. Recoil was mild and there is minimal gas blowback . First round pop wasn’t really there. I was expecting a loud frp due to the large volume can. But that did not happen.

The hand guard did get hot. Near the rear/ blast chamber area. That’s why I attached a vertical foregrip. Not an issue if you’re using the thumb over bore stance or c-clamp. The bolt carrier dried out quickly. It would be prudent to apply oil regularly.

Overall, it performed well. I would say it delivered and lived up to the hype.

I used rock river 32 and 10 round mags.

Attachments

• 9DE32A33-4BBB-4264-A838-72A214090D10.jpg
      9DE32A33-4BBB-4264-A838-72A214090D10.jpg
      88.9 KB · Views: 695

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Made a few changes to my pre-ban 8.25" build. More weaponlight (Pentagonlight MD2), better pistol grip (Magpul K2+), and much better trigger (Elftmann SE).

Attachments

• family.jpg
      family.jpg
      133.1 KB · Views: 614

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I was able to spend an hour at the range this afternoon to test fire the brown recluse.
    Ammo was an assortment of steel case wolf, federal brass case 115 fmj, blaser aluminum 115, wwb and 147 grain subs.

The initial impression. The gun is well made. The fittIng and finish is superb.
    The upper consist of a flat top, no forward assist, 9mm brass deflector , magpul mbus sights, spikes BAR rail encapsulates a 6.75” barrel ( ported at the base) and a modified alfalfa suppressor that’s setup in a reflex configuration with a stainless steel blast chamber around the ported end of the barrel. The gun came in with a custom nylon case with molle attachment points, sights, sight adjustment tool, qd sling mount, maglula, suppressor end cap removal tool and instructions ( for a standard AR, no manual for the suppressor )

First, rounds were fired at a shoot n see target at 25 yards. The first two shots were about 4” low but centered. Several clicks on the red dot for elevation got the weapon at 25yard zero within 7 rounds. 50 rounds were fired at thIs distance. The groups were about 1.5” at this distance. The barrel and sights were aligned. No need for windage adjustments. The rear magpul right was also spot on. It’s set at the middle tick mark.

No malfunction for the first 60 rounds.

Switched to 100 yard rifle target. The rifle grouped a remarkable 3” average at 109 yards. Hitting an empty cardboard ammo box at 100 yards was easy. For some strange reason. There is no holdover/ under for 100 yards when zeroed at 25. I m guessing that the secondary zero is around 100. Well that worked out. Besides, it’s a 9mm. 100 is plenty enough distance for the little poodle shooter.

Now how about the sound or report? Well hot damn. This is Hollywood quiet. A suppressed 22 firing subs is louder. My iPhone decibel meter app states 117 decibels peak. I think that’s accurate. It’s much quieter than my mp5sd. That’s to state a lot. But it’s true. Spikes scores a touchdown with this suppressed upper. Especially when you consider it’s firing standard velocity ammo. I used a 147 grain subsonic fmj on it. ( hush puppy ammo). I can’t really hear a difference in sound.

The cases ejected consistently. Landing in a neat pile on my right. Recoil was mild and there is minimal gas blowback . First round pop wasn’t really there. I was expecting a loud frp due to the large volume can. But that did not happen.

The hand guard did get hot. Near the rear/ blast chamber area. That’s why I attached a vertical foregrip. Not an issue if you’re using the thumb over bore stance or c-clamp. The bolt carrier dried out quickly. It would be prudent to apply oil regularly.

Overall, it performed well. I would say it delivered and lived up to the hype.

I used rock river 32 and 10 round mags.

Nice. Damn I want one but Glock mags....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom