• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    Everyone is always asking about the firearm's accuracy but the real question is "how good is the shooter?" The ability of the shooter is related to the exponential growth that is spent at the range practicing all aspects of the shooting fundamentals. "Your bullet impact is actually your target."

Because I am a Retired Veteran, I know not to call Pistols and Rifles "GUNS"

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Shot placement is critical , A good knowledge of anatomy is also a must , know were things are if it's a side shoot , back , above and below , because they don't always present from the front like at the range .

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    You:
    1) Mindset (when it comes time to shoot, will you be able to? Otherwise leave it at home)
    2) Training (including accuracy, see below)
    3) Preparation
    4) Safety (don't be a menace to the innocent and a poster child for the antis)

Firearm:
    1) Reliability (a chronically malfunctioning gun can become nothing more than a rock in a gun fight)
    2) Accuracy (your gun doesn't have to be a tack driver but you should be confident that you can put rounds where needed when necessary)
    3) Penetration (how will your ammo perform in your most likely self defense scenario?)

Training, continued: Situational awareness, de-escalation/avoidance skills, hand to hand skills and alternate weapon/less lethal weapon skills help to lower the need to have to use your firearm. Realistic training should include movement. Your attacker will be moving and you should too. Practice using cover/concealment and know the difference between the two.

Know the self defense and firearms laws of the jurisdiction that you're in. Are you prepared to deal with the aftermath of a deadly force encounter? 911 and lawyer in your charged cell phone? How about first aid skills? They should be included too.

It's not necessary to be an expert but how you train is how you'll react in a stressful situation.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Which is more dangerous?

The man with a single shot firearm who knows how to use it.
    or
    The man with a semi automatic that doesn't.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    A gun is your penis and gun control is maintaining your wad.

GzeU1NV.gif

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I'm a 'spray and pray' guy, myself. Spray for all I'm worth, and pray it doesn't stick. :lol2:

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    A quote from the master himself, Gny Sargent Carlos Hathcock " the most deadly thing on the battlefield is one well aimed shot" RIP Whitefeather

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Thread reminds me of this parody post in Rimfire Central (by a mod nearly as funny as our own Zoo) in response to a serious thread question of what is the largest game that people hunt with 22 ...

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10720522&postcount=10

Polar Bear.

Down here in the Peninsula (Florida) they are a nuisance and so no/open season on them.

Shots are fairly close range, 2-3,000 yards. Usually a one shot kill but, shot placement is critical.

I prefer open sights & a shorter carbine type setup. You'll want a fast handling rifle.

I've heard (but not tried yet) they are pretty good on the Bull Moose (at shorter ranges of course) However shot placement is critical. I prefer Remington Golden Bullets, they hit HARD and do massive damage. The wound channel is just unbelievable.

Those Golden Bullets are just amazing. They leave a ton of lead in the bore which is nice for the critter since a full weight projectile would just do too much damage.

Of course you've got to do your part to get these results all day long.

My rifle (oops, weapon!) of choice is an 1845 French Parlor Rifle. No ejector so brass doesn't go flying everywhere.

It's a smooth bore and has a factory 10.5 inch barrel, (yes that's legal, it's an antique)

The sights are simple, fixed 'V' notch rear blade and post front. Nothing fancy, just functional. I hear all this talk of ''Black Rifles" Well, give me a simple break top rifle, I'll be just fine.

Oh I did hit a small rat with this setup late last year. We were out tossing back some eggnog and this little fella crossed my rangefinder at oh just under 800yds.

One shot left no meat, just a few tufts of fur and nothing else. Devastating, just devastating.

It contains two essential gun forum cliches ... "shot placement is critical" and "you've got to do your part" that were embedded in the first post. Lol. :)

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Thread reminds me of this parody post in Rimfire Central (by a mod nearly as funny as our own Zoo) in response to a thread question of what people hunt with 22 ...

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10720522&postcount=10

It contains two essential gun forum cliches ... "shot placement is critical" and "you've got to do your part" that were embedded in the first post. Lol. :)

And if you use one them golden magic bullets like Oswald did you can take out 3 or 4 rats with one shot from that close a distance

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom