• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Does anyone out there know about how WIDE a groundhog is (head on for example) and how tall he is when he's laying down?

The only info i can find is how tall then are when standing.

It's not critical but by the time i get a hold of them, its hard to measure the pieces.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    A full grown whistlepig has a good sized skull. Probably something like a naval orange or smaller than a softball. When they are on all fours, maybe 6"

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    a taxidermist should know or look at some taxi mount literature

bg71361

Apr 30, 2012
    Pm me I have a nice dead on you can use your tape measure on. Hopefully nothing eats it tonight.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Age, sex an weight all play a part. Then add if the f*cker is p*ssed at you an grunting. Some look 12" across an some are really larger.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    About the same as a medium sized racoon.

I'd say that is about right. Had a sow try and start digging a den right behind the house and introduced her to the 22 mag. This is my girl maybe at 55# or 60# her first year. Never loose a chance to retriever training. :D Side story she got a chance to kill one on her own the next year. One came in the garage, scared the daughter, wife said no shooting in the garage. The dog got it, it bit her, she dropped it went back after it and kill shook it. it moved some more, she bit it a bunch, heard ribs cracking and ground hog died.

Attachments

• Kako_Groundhog 1 (640x480).jpg
      Kako_Groundhog 1 (640x480).jpg
      74 KB · Views: 380
    • Kako_Groundhog 2.jpg
      Kako_Groundhog 2.jpg
      118 KB · Views: 372

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I'd say that is about right. Had a sow try and start digging a den right behind the house and introduced her to the 22 mag. This is my girl maybe at 55# or 60# her first year. Never loose a chance to retriever training. :D Side story she got a chance to kill one on her own the next year. One came in the garage, scared the daughter, wife said no shooting in the garage. The dog got it, it bit her, she dropped it went back after it and kill shook it. it moved some more, she bit it a bunch, heard ribs cracking and ground hog died.

Good dog. i have heard stories of groundhogs killing labs.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    they can be nasty buggers if you get between them and their hole. all they know is that is where it is safe and they want in....... I shot one at 10 yards with my bow in an alfalfa field as it charged me, took the broad head to the shoulder- pass thru and dragged all 30" down the hole and growled at me as I grabbed the arrow to pull it back out. another took 2 22mags at damn near point blank range as it charged me from 20 yards in a fresh corn field.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014

HOLLY COW that thing's huge!

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Yea, I've shot a couple sows that felt like their tail would break hoisting them up. I guess unlimited access to soy bean can do that. :D

I have eaten young ones before and thought they were pretty good. I cut one like this once for the dog, hit a scent gland (musk) and about choked on the smell. I washed it and cooked it for the dog and he ate it. I still about gagged. I leave the big ones for the vultures or possums.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Buddy of mine got his first ghog. First living animal dispatched. Used a 223 at just over 200y. He was surprised at how big even the small ones are. Now we're shooting a DVD case sized gong posted at 500yards for practice. thanks again guys/gals!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Buddy of mine got his first ghog. First living animal dispatched. Used a 223 at just over 200y. He was surprised at how big even the small ones are. Now we're shooting a DVD case sized gong posted at 500yards for practice. thanks again guys/gals!

Small ones are good eating. The hide from a big one makes strong boot laces.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    When I had Rotties they would kill them all the time at the shop . One thing about ground hogs is they don't move that great IMHO . I have taken out a few with a 22LR pistol

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    They are more warry than deer out here. One sees you at 200 yards and its booking for its hole. Maybe its our dependency of .223 as the round of choice. :D

They can probably run 15mph, but that is only about 1/2 the speed of most dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom