• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    Besides being an MDS'er, I’m a local beekeeper, and want to let you know about FREE services the The Montgomery County Beekeepers Association (and other Capital region groups, see bottom of post) provides. www.MontgomeryCountyBeekeepers.com

1. REMOVE BEE SWARMS: If a swarm of honey bees comes on your property, MCBA will rescue them (and you!) for free. Swarming is a sign that a bee colony was so healthy and strong, they split to make two colonies! The cluster of bees you see is looking for a new home. Unfortunately, only 1 out of 5 swarms survives the winter on their own. So, if you see a swarm, report it as soon as possible on MCBA's website under the “Report Swarm” tab, and a volunteer will swing into action.

2. FIND LOCAL HONEY: If you want to buy LOCAL honey, MCBA lists area beekeepers selling fresh honey. Info is on the website under the “Help Bees” tab.

3. BEE FRIENDLY GARDEN: If you want to choose plants that help bees, MCBA has a fantastic chart of plants that grow well in our area. It is on the website under the “Help Bees” tab.

4. EFFORTLESS BEEKEEPING: If you like the idea of having a beehive in your yard (to help your garden, and to be cool), but don’t want to take classes and do the beekeeping work, MCBA has just started building a list of beekeepers seeking places to keep their hives (win-win!). The website has information about lending a corner of your yard to a beekeeper, and a sign-up form, under the “Help Bees” tab.

5. BEE LECTURES: If you are interested in bees & beekeeping, MCBA has free monthly meetings. Upcoming topics and other details are on the website under ‘Meetings’

6. BEE SPEAKERS FOR YOUR ADULT GROUP: MCBA has an outreach program that sends a knowledgeable beekeeper to speak to clubs, and other groups. The service is free, although not every request can be accommodated. A form to Request a Speaker is on the website under “Speaker Request”

Prince Georges Bowie-Upper Marlboro Beekeepers Association (BUMBA) website for swarms: http://bumbabees.com/gotta_problem.html

Anne Arundel Beekeepers Assoc. http://aabees.org/services/swarm-removal/

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    We've talked about getting some boxes put on Dad's property in Darlington. I think there is a local group up here that will install the boxes and hives on your land. Probably have more bees than space to put them.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    How do you recognize a honey bee swarm? I had some bees set up housekeeping in my compost pike last years. I believe they were ground bees and not honey bees but how can you tell?

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    How do you recognize a honey bee swarm? I had some bees set up housekeeping in my compost pike last years. I believe they were ground bees and not honey bees but how can you tell?

The swarms often look like this and are usually about 10-20 feet up in a tree or under a roof overhang, also if they're in the ground or their nest is exposed, they're probably not bees but wasps/yellow-jackets:
    005LR%2BSwarm%2Bon%2BPecan.jpg

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Eddie recommend me a decent, pretty, low light plant that can attract bees. I’d like something very low maintenance, flowering, shows up annually.

I was going to daffodils but read they aren’t great for bees.

The goal is something nice and pretty just on the other side of the creek we can look at on the deck or our family room (HUGE windows). If i can also help the bees while satisfying my needs it would be a win win.

Attachments

• 523FDC92-6332-44E0-81C9-310D14960803.jpg
      523FDC92-6332-44E0-81C9-310D14960803.jpg
      150.8 KB · Views: 285
    One of our trees at the farm produces a significant amount of pollen and was completely covered with bees. They werent' swarmed in a big group, just spread out all over the tree. It was so loud you could hear the hum from a little ways away. I don't know what kind they are though. They are about the size of honey bees, but didn't feel like getting close enough to find out if I was wrong.

EDIT: I am in monkey county

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    Eddie recommend me a decent, pretty, low light plant that can attract bees. I’d like something very low maintenance, flowering, shows up annually.

I was going to daffodils but read they aren’t great for bees.

The goal is something nice and pretty just on the other side of the creek we can look at on the deck or our family room (HUGE windows). If i can also help the bees while satisfying my needs it would be a win win.

Great question and commonly asked, the website has a good chart: https://montgomerycountybeekeepers.com/2018/01/plants-for-bees/

I am not too good with plants, but do know that crocus, hydrangea (flowers) and redbud and black locust (trees) do well in partly shaded areas

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom