• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Went on Thursday. SAD! Less than 1/4 of what it once was. Two vehicles on display at the display area. Even George Baxter of Army Jeep Parts in PA was not there. AJP was always there. I give it two years or less and it will be gone. Used to be about six full acres.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Went on Friday. SAD! Less than 1/4 of what it once was. Two vehicles on display at the display area. Even George Baxter of Army Jeep Parts in PA was not there. AJP was always there. I give it two years or less and it will be gone. Used to be about six full acres.

Did you mean Thursday or did you mean last year? Maybe I'm too tired, but I do not understand.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    JH I corrected it went Thursday May 9.

Thursday is still a set up day even though the organizer would like everyone there on Wednesday night. Many of the vendors don't show up until the afternoon of the first day. I'm hoping to go tomorrow as I've done the past few years. Hopefully, there will be more folks there than Thursday. :party29:

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    Came down 22 this AM on the way to APG. Did not see all the signs at the Ripken Stadium entrance that have always been there in years past.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Came down 22 this AM on the way to APG. Did not see all the signs at the Ripken Stadium entrance that have always been there in years past.

There's a few small ones on Long drive.

There's a lot of underground utility work being performed in that area, my guess is they didn't put it up because of that.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Went there Thursday morning. Not a lot there yet but I spent a few hours looking around. Picked up a dozen M1 clips and some surplus aluminum tent pegs, all for a buck a piece.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I had enough time to drive to the end of long drive and back up to the traffic light during lunch real quick

Looks like a 2 acreish crowd of vendors, not many people showing up to walk around by the looks of it.

Be warned there is a lot of utility work going on at 22/Long drive

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    I went this morning around 9:30. I was very disappointed. Only about 15-20% of the spaces were occupied, spread out over the usual parking lot. I'm grateful to those few intrepid souls who stuck it out despite the weather forecast. There were very few vehicles, mostly jeeps. There were some fantastic replicas; the MK III Enfields were unbelievable. Lots of parts that I didn't know what they were. First time ever, that I left with all my money.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The only thing I bought was this year's t-shirt from the nice ladies in the large tent. I spoke with three vendors on thurs. They told me this was probably it for them coming anymore. It's a damn shame. It was really something before. The decline really kicked in around 2015. 2006 was the first time I went there and it was really nice.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I didn't make it. Doesn't look like I missed too much. It's a shame, it used to be a very nice show/swap meet.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I went this morning around 9:30. I was very disappointed. Only about 15-20% of the spaces were occupied, spread out over the usual parking lot. I'm grateful to those few intrepid souls who stuck it out despite the weather forecast. There were very few vehicles, mostly jeeps. There were some fantastic replicas; the MK III Enfields were unbelievable. Lots of parts that I didn't know what they were. First time ever, that I left with all my money.

I was there with my wife and 14 yr old son at the same time and I'd have to agree with you, this was sad compared to previous years. Whole sections of parking lot were empty from top to bottom where there should have been vendors. We got there at 9 and had walked through the entire area by 11. It used to take 2 days to really check out all the vendors. I'll go again next year and hope for a better turnout.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I drove by on Friday night after the rain had passed. Everything was closed up and most of the vehicles were gone. When I went back on Saturday, I walked around and had eyes on about 80% of the place in about an hour, including shopping around in about a dozen tents. I picked up a CETME bayonet in really nice shape and a really Dutch Civil Defense helmet (essentially a Doughboy/Kelly helmet made in the Netherlands). I saw some parts, mostly AR and M1 Garand. My son loved seeing all of the Jeeps/MUTTs.

I hope this show continues. I think that the way they have it set up (Thursday, Friday, and basically Saturday AM only) makes it difficult for a lot of people to make it, especially those who work and can't/won't take off of work to go. I also think the weather the last several years has led to a decline as well.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I wouldn't be surprised if this event is moved out of Maryland. Carlisle, PA for example or somewhere in Virginia.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I wouldn't be surprised if this event is moved out of Maryland. Carlisle, PA for example or somewhere in Virginia.

Since it's start was within APG, I think Ripken Stadium was just a semi-permanent alternative.

I believe the weather has been this show's enemy for many years. I seem to remember a year where Thursday and Friday were rained out and Saturday was sunny but many/most of the vendors left before the show opened on Saturday.

Only time will tell. I think it's an ideal location. Right off of 95 with good accommodations in the area. But who am I???

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    I think the weather spooked a lot of the vendors this year. When I looked at the vendor map there were a lot of spaces that were sold, and the vendor didn’t set up.

The past couple of years the weather has caused more than its share of problems for the vendors. This year if one looked at the weather forecast all one would see was rain. As luck would have it there was some lite rain on Thursday morning and clear sun Thursday afternoon, all of Friday and Saturday morning, I have the sunburn to prove it.

The vehicle display was down this year. Then after the coast was clear, meaning rain, the “jeeps” were driven from their trailers for display and judging. There weren’t many big trucks there, again not many want to drive in the rain. Perhaps it has something to do with many drivers in this area having a 50-point drop in IQ when it rains.

There has been talk of moving the show for several years, I’ll believe it when I see it. Setting up on an asphalt parking lot presents many problems for securing tents or awnings. There was a discussion about moving the date away from Mother’s Day weekend to allow for Saturday and Sunday. Finding someplace with a roof. And probably the most important thing, get a larger participation.

The military vehicle hobby isn’t unlike the firearm hobby in that there needs to be new people brought in.

Last edited:

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    I went Saturday morning, my first time there. It was fun to see what was there, but the lot was mostly empty and not many people there.

This reminded me of the model train hobby, largely generational and in decline. Lots of old timers who really enjoy the history and materiel, and probably not a lot of younger folks joining the ranks. Just one observation from a first-time visitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom