• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    Quick update for anyone who files as an individual - I was just down at the State Police Barracks for printing and was told they no longer use the orange card for the state background/signoff. It's now a purplish/maroon card.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    Quick update for anyone who files as an individual - I was just down at the State Police Barracks for printing and was told they no longer use the orange card for the state background/signoff. It's now a purplish/maroon card.

I just heard this from the guys at Continental this past weekend.

DO NOT use the orange cards.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Can someone give me a rundown on when a sawed off shotgun would be a $5 AOW and when would it be a $200 SBS or is it always an SBS?

araugh

Laser Nerd
    Sep 2, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    I think that if it comes from the factory with a pistol grip, it's an AOW and $5 stamp. If it has a standard stock, it's 200 and a SBS, even if you put on a pistol grip.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I think that if it comes from the factory with a pistol grip, it's an AOW and $5 stamp. If it has a standard stock, it's 200 and a SBS, even if you put on a pistol grip.

Yep.

If you buy an AOW you can not install a stock on it unless you file a form 1 and turn it into a SBS.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    If you're going through the hassle of making your own, do a SBS. AOW's are very limited in what you can do with them to the point that the only reason I would make one is if I planned on moving to a non-SBS state.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Quick question.

I'm planning on an SBR project within the next few months. Can I just fill out the forms after I have the lower? I went to a local shop and they told me that I needed to decide on what I was going to purchase, then they will give me the forms and paperwork.

Reason being, I am looking through some lowers and I want to make it an SBR. I'm leaning towards a AR-57 upper SBR mainly but I might get some other uppers. Since I really dont have the cash on hand to spend 600ish for an upper plus the 200 tax stamp. Can I just do the paperwork now and fill out the forms required? That way I can just purchase the SBR. To add to this question:
    Since I can order some uppers through the mail without any issues. After I have the stamp, will I be able to order it online and sent to my residence or will I still need a dealer to take possession and transfer it to me?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    The shop does not need to be involved in the form 1 process, only the form 4 process.

For a form 1 registration you buy the lower (you need the make/model/serial number), have it engraved with your name, city & State, file the form 1 with the over all length, barrel length and caliber and then wait for it to be approved. Once the approved form 1 comes back you can order your upper.

If you want to buy an already SBR'ed lower then the dealer is involved. The gun is usually transfered in on a form 3 to the dealer then they transfer it to you on a form 4.

You can not file any paper work on either a form 1 or form 4 until you have either a lower or complete (already registered) firearm with the barrel length decided on, the over all length and the serial number. All that info must go on either one of the forms you file with the ATF.

The uppers can be shipped to you directly, The lower is the registered part.

Bushamster

Jan 26, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I have seen some AR-15 lowers for sale marked and registered as pistols. The idea being, i guess, that you buy it under the pistol rules (21 years old, waiting period, etc.) and then you can have any length of barrel and over-all length you want. Sounds much simpler and easier than the Form 1 SBR process. But i suppose this is not legal in MD is it? We have this MD approved pistol list and I bet AR-15s don't show up on it.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I have seen some AR-15 lowers for sale marked and registered as pistols. The idea being, i guess, that you buy it under the pistol rules (21 years old, waiting period, etc.) and then you can have any length of barrel and over-all length you want. Sounds much simpler and easier than the Form 1 SBR process. But i suppose this is not legal in MD is it? We have this MD approved pistol list and I bet AR-15s don't show up on it.

It does not show up on the roster, you are correct, but if they are legal in MD, my understanding that they are, but very few people agree with me and this would need a letter to the AG to figure out.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Plus you cannot have a stock on a pistol.
    Actually......it is possible. But it would need a 16" barrel and now be called a rifle.

Says who? The state or the ATF?
    If the barrel is less than 16", then I believe both.
    If the barrel is at least 16", or if the upper was changed to the 16" barrel before attaching the stock, then it is ;egal and you may be able to switch back and forth legally......but again, very few people seem to agree with me on this last part too. The Thompson Center case in front of the Appeals court and then the Supreme court was about changing a pistol to a 16" or greater rifle and then back again to a pistol. The SC and the Appeals court ruled in Thompson's favor.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Actually......it is possible. But it would need a 16" barrel and now be called a rifle.

If the barrel is less than 16", then I believe both.
    If the barrel is at least 16", or if the upper was changed to the 16" barrel before attaching the stock, then it is ;egal and you may be able to switch back and forth legally......but again, very few people seem to agree with me on this last part too. The Thompson Center case in front of the Appeals court and then the Supreme court was about changing a pistol to a 16" or greater rifle and then back again to a pistol. The SC and the Appeals court ruled in Thompson's favor.
    ATF has said the SC's Thompson-Center ruling only applies to the particular weapon ruled upon. For all other pistols, the ATF says once you add a 16" barrel and buttstock, it has been made into a rifle and cannot be converted back into a pistol (as that would be a small gun made from a rifle, thus an SBR).

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    I'm a bit confused (as usual). I was thinking of buying a GSG5K .22cal pistol adding a colapsable stock and suppressor (to the allready short/threaded barrel). Aside from first getting my stamp for the suppressor I would allso have to do a form 1 for converting a pistol into an SBR. Is my thought pattern correct or do I have it wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom