• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Example pictures from my rifle. They aren't going to go down as the best pictures ever, but you can clearly see how the magnifier makes the BDC dots much more visible and usable.
    How far have you taken that combo out to? The reason I dumped the aimpoint + magnifier combo is that the dot was magnified with the rest of the sight picture, which is annoying looking at stuff at 300 yards. Well that and aimpoint dots don't look as good to my eye as Trijicon and Holosun red dots (blasphemy, I know). Would be worried that the BDC might obscure targets/people/things one might want to PID under magnification. I can sort of do some ranging with the standard EOtech reticle, but more info is always better.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    100-200yds. I mean, it's a 4x magnifier, I could probably go a little further to 300yds or so, but they do start running out of steam at a certain point, much like a regular 4x. The center dot is 2MOA, the BDC dots are 1MOA.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    New Strike Eagle email from Vortex
    Good looking out, thanks. Looks like the 1-6 and 1-8 are both SFP. Maybe the glass will be super clear or something. Weight is definitely acceptable at 18oz. Overall they seem like they are not even trying to keep up with Primary Arms on the low end. It's probably coming from the same factory as the PA silver line, but other than the included throw lever I give it a solid "meh."

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, it's kind of an underwhelming release - I was expecting a lot more. Looks like it's got an included throw lever and a new reticle, and, honestly, the new reticle doesn't look all that great... sort of a neutered version of the Razor Gen3's MOA/BDC reticle. Guess I'll have to keep waiting for the PST refresh.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    100-200yds. I mean, it's a 4x magnifier, I could probably go a little further to 300yds or so, but they do start running out of steam at a certain point, much like a regular 4x. The center dot is 2MOA, the BDC dots are 1MOA.

The cool thing is that HWS dots appear the same size, magnified or not. a 3MOA EoTech dot will look to be 3" at 100 yards through the sight, add a 3X magnifier, and despite the target being 3 times larger, the dot will appear to be 1MOA on target as the dot in the laser hologram doesn't get magnified like the target, and will cover less target. With an Aimpoint or LED based sight, the dot does get manified, so a 3MOA dot open will still be 3 MOA through a 3x magnifier, covering the same ammount of target in either case.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The cool thing is that HWS dots appear the same size, magnified or not. a 3MOA EoTech dot will look to be 3" at 100 yards through the sight, add a 3X magnifier, and despite the target being 3 times larger, the dot will appear to be 1MOA on target as the dot in the laser hologram doesn't get magnified like the target, and will cover less target.
    I don't know who told you this, but it's not true. The Eotech dot (<1 MOA) is just much smaller than most red dots (2.5-3MOA).

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Good to know that the BDC dots are 1MOA. I'll definitely keep that in my back pocket in case the Accupoint ends up working better on a different rifle.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Good to know that the BDC dots are 1MOA. I'll definitely keep that in my back pocket in case the Accupoint ends up working better on a different rifle.
    The Romeo6Ts are a little hard to hunt up at this point at a reasonable price. The Holosun HS503G has very similar reticle, but have a chevron instead of a 2MOA dot on the top.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The Romeo6Ts are a little hard to hunt up at this point at a reasonable price. The Holosun HS503G has very similar reticle, but have a chevron instead of a 2MOA dot on the top.
    If I'm buying Chinesium, it's either Holosun or Primary Arms for the ACSS reticle, so I'd be getting the 503 with ACSS for sure. Admittedly, Sig's stuff is also Holosun, but I haven't tried any of their stuff yet.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I'm fine with SFP scopes. Don't overthink it too much. I actually use a fixed power 12x scope for long range. Best value for your buck.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I don't know who told you this, but it's not true. The Eotech dot (<1 MOA) is just much smaller than most red dots (2.5-3MOA).

Came from a conversation with an E3 rep, thought the same thing, and it might be true that it is not really 1MOA, just so much smaller that even though it is magnified, it is still just small, basically what I told him. Was told(I'm not an optical engineer, so not sure it it's bunk or not) that as a holographic image projected with a laser it is a single point of coherent light, and moves as a single point through lenses, and is not magnified along with the target image, it's a different principal than a reflected non-coherent LED light source in other RDS designs
    https://www.eotechgear.com/learn

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom