• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County
    Which one do you guys recommend? Silencerco Omega 300 or a Q,LLC Thunder Chicken for .300 Blackout?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Everyone's going to jump in here with their personal favorites(the one they own), they're all pretty good these days. Mostly it comes down to weight, cost, and muzzle attachment for me.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I’m a month into the wait for a omega 300. I was originally going to go with the saker 762 but the consensus was the omega is the all around better can if you can afford it.

Problem is the wait now is excruciating and I’m not a patient person. Hope I can give you a hands on opinion up to and including a year from now lol.

What sold me on sil co was the great reviews on customer service.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    I have an Amtac 7.62CQBm for shooting full power .30’s, then for subs I got a 5/8x24 adapter for Rugged Obsidian9.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Someone suggested a can that would do 9mm and 300. And could even be used for 22 if you wanted. I Thought that was a good idea.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Someone suggested a can that would do 9mm and 300. And could even be used for 22 if you wanted. I Thought that was a good idea.
    You need to be careful with 9mm cans. Many of them can't handle the pressure of supersonic loads from 300 Blk.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    You need to be careful with 9mm cans. Many of them can't handle the pressure of supersonic loads from 300 Blk.

Definitely. I don’t know of any that are rated for full power. I only shoot subs through mine. But if that’s all your doing you can get your can for half the weight as well as doing double duty.

If you’re shooting .22 in a cenerfire can, keep cleaning in mind.

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    Is this your first can? If so, I'd recommend looking into omega 36M. It's more versatile

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    If you are using supersonic loads get a .30 cal can. If it will be all subs, get a 9mm or .45 can. I have experience with a bunch and the lighter pistol cans are, well lighter. There are some that will hold up to supers but they will also be heavier

I like the sico and rugged products from a warranty and compatibility standpoint for me. If you have other cans they may be compatible with each other if you stick with a brand. If you want to use it as a pistol can too, get a pistol can. Same thing if you want to use it as a rifle can.

Most cans are pretty good these days and will all work so pick your favorite brand. I’ve picked mine based off perceived materials durability, long-term CS, features and longevity.

I wouldn’t shoot a lot of .22 through a non .22 can especially if it is sealed. A little would be fine, but even then it can be tough to get the lead out without making a mess or a lot of mechanical cleaning.

If this is your first can it won’t be your last, and you should just do 2-3 all at once if you can swing it. .22, .45, .30 cal.

If it will be your only can look at something like the Hybrid .46 or other cans that are able to be used on all platforms. I have used the hybrid and it works decent on everything but not great on anything.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Not my first can. I have a .22 and a 5.56 can already. Looking at adding a .300 blackout and a 9mm can.

Not the can you were looking at but I am very happy with my saker 7.62. I’ve used it on my 308winchester and my 300blackout. The 308 with subsonic loads is extremely quiet. Kinda fun to experiment with.

mdbassplayer

Feb 1, 2017
    Can’t speak to all the newer options but I have been very happy for several years now with my Omega on an ASR Mount. Thousands of rounds of .223, .300blk, .308 and 6.5C through it on three rifles. Have the anchor brake end on it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have been really happy with my Griffin Optimus. It's an all-steel can rated to 300 win mag, the main baffle stack is 9mm, but the modular blast baffle is 30cal. It's 1.375" (pistol) diameter, so plenty of room under most handguards, but pretty good performance, so not really loosing much due to the decreased volume compared to 1.5" rifle cans. It's essentially an overbuilt 9mm can, and it's great on that caliber, includes a booster housing, and you can use either a $30 spacer and direct thread onto fixed barrel PCCs, or the $130 3 lug kit will work with HK pattern 3 lug stuff. For rifle cals it uses the taper mount interface and adapters, and screw on short(optional) or long(included) blast chambers with the 30 cal blast baffle. It's really good with 7.62x39, 300BO supers and 308, average for 300BO subs and 223, but being the main baffle stack is 9mm, there seems to be less backpressure, so it doesn't blow back much gas on semi-auto rifles. It includes a 22 end cap for rimfire, and it does quiet down 223 quite a bit. Rimfire performance is decent on rifles, not great on pistols. You have to check and re-check the configuration to make sure you don't make a costly mistake, like putting it on a 9mm with the 22 end cap or 30 cal baffle, but once you get the hang of it, it's a really nice can that IMO works better for 223, 300, 9mm and 308 than the SiCo Hybrid or new Griffin bushwacker. Pretty much the only thing that beats it is a lighter 9mm pistol-only can, AND a 30cal rifle can with slightly better performance in some calibers, nothing does both as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom