• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    That’s very cool. In all honestly, it might be cheaper to build your own crucible to melt down aluminum cans and cast your own lower of better quality than buying a 3D printer and making an inferior one in plastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    The ad says "One mold, one casting". Given my propensity to f* up the pour, I'd get "one mold, one ah-sh*t".

I find the 3D printing stuff much more interesting for creating reusable molds for green sand casting.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    This would be a ton of work. And there's way too many steps where something could go wrong.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I feel like I would have better luck with a brick of aluminum and hand tools. It would take longer but it would be cheaper and more importantly not involve 1200º molten metal.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    That’s very cool. In all honestly, it might be cheaper to build your own crucible to melt down aluminum cans and cast your own lower of better quality than buying a 3D printer and making an inferior one in plastic.

I actually have an 80% that I screwed up. Perfect material for this. Has to be better than beer cans.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I actually have an 80% that I screwed up. Perfect material for this. Has to be better than beer cans.

I’ve read that cans are 6061 alloy so the can make good castings.

The added benefit is you need 80 cans to make one lower. That a good about of beer that you need to consume to properly prepare for casting a 0% lower.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    only issue I see is, how close is the mold, after taking down casting marks and such either too small or may be too big if you anodize. Again I do not know what the tolerances of this mold are made to.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    only issue I see is, how close is the mold, after taking down casting marks and such either too small or may be too big if you anodize. Again I do not know what the tolerances of this mold are made to.

Unless you have a machine shop and a lot of skill, it'll never work. There's no way, for instance, to get the magazine well right as part of a casting.

There's a bunch of simpler ways to get a lower. Even Polymer80 is a better bet.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If i had the skills to do it, it would be a very cool project. Yes, of course 80% would be easier and cheaper, but its a challenge....and saying you did it.....not ease or money...

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    I wonder if these molds would work for steel? AR receivers are supposed to be forged aluminum, not cast. I suppose cast aluminum would probably work fine for most casual use and I've never seen the two tested back-to-back in firearms but I do know from experience that forged aluminum wheels are a lot stronger than cast aluminum wheels. If building 100% from scratch then I wouldn't mind the extra .5 lb weight for the durability of steel.

Unless you have a machine shop and a lot of skill, it'll never work. There's no way, for instance, to get the magazine well right as part of a casting.

There's a bunch of simpler ways to get a lower. Even Polymer80 is a better bet.

I'm sure it would likely be off when first out of the mold but you'd be hand fitting the parts and magazines anyway. It would take some time but I don't see why a file and Dremel wouldn't work just taking off a little at a time until you got everything fitting the way you wanted.

I've got a few paperweights that have been left in paperweight form but for some reason this casting option intrigues me if the metallurgy can be made to work.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I’ve read that cans are 6061 alloy so the can make good castings.

The added benefit is you need 80 cans to make one lower. That a good about of beer that you need to consume to properly prepare for casting a 0% lower.

From Wiki.

Modern cans are generally produced through a mechanical cold forming process that starts with punching a flat blank from very stiff cold-rolled sheet. This sheet is typically alloy 3104-H19 or 3004-H19, which is aluminium with about 1% manganese and 1% magnesium to give it strength and formability.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    You can buy 80% lowers for less than this..I would expect something like this to go for about half of what they are asking. I can find blem 80s for $20 that are completely functional unless you know what you are looking for you will never know they were blems..

Can we get a link to those $20 blems? Best I've seen is $40 plus shipping

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom