• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Noah Oliver

Apr 25, 2018
    Baltimore County, MD
    Hi everyone,

I recently have become interested in air powered guns. They have improved so much in power that they can be used for much more then plinking. On youtube they show videos of hunting game from vermin to hogs and bear.

I would like to know if there are others with an interest in air guns. They have the advantage of not being included in all the lefty generated rules and regulations regarding ownership and use. There are air guns that definitely could be used for self protection. If one of these guns would take down a wild charging boar hog, they would stop a human trespasser intent on hurting you or your family. Also, most modern made air guns have sound reducers so they can be shot in your back yard without bothering the neighbors, within reason.

I'm new to the air gun interest, and would like to know if others may have formed clubs, have shooting ranges for air guns exclusively (soft sound, don't need earplugs), or any other involvement.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome Noah ! Stand by, and the usual suspects will give you a buncha important info and links shortly .

There are a fair number of MDS'ers with air gun interests , and occasional discussions, and feel free to start threads on air gun topics.

Not much State restrictions on purchasing , but lots of County and Municipal restrictions on use . Several jurisdictions treat them the same as firearms .

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Also, most modern made air guns have sound reducers so they can be shot in your back yard without bothering the neighbors, within reason.

Alas, here in my part of Maryland, the law makes no distinction between shooting an air gun in your back yard, and shooting a .308 in your back yard.

And... from a self-defense perspective and airguns, remember that you've generally got: one shot. One. That's a pretty big gamble in a situation you've already decided could be about to cost you your life (otherwise, you can't use deadly force, no matter the tool). So if it comes down to you literally needing to save your life, it's probably not the tool you'd want to be relying on. That said, yes indeed ... they've come a long way. I've got a lovely German air rifle that can certainly take small game with a well-placed shot. But it's just about as loud as a .22 short. And ... I can't use it in my yard anyway, legally ... so if I'm going to break the law, I might as well use my dead quiet suppressed .22 and be sure to get the job done. Not that I'd do that in my back yard, officer, ever.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 164

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Hi everyone,

I recently have become interested in air powered guns. They have improved so much in power that they can be used for much more then plinking. On youtube they show videos of hunting game from vermin to hogs and bear.
    A big bore PCP can be a very effective hunting rifle. I watched as a local manufacturer tested several at the bench next to me at a club range and they were all plenty accurate for deer at 100 yards, perhaps further. Their power is plenty for most bigger, non-dangerous game, although I admit I am quite convinced that once a minimum penetration level is achieved, placement overrules all other considerations. Evidenced by the fact that one can kill them with a sharp stick (arrow).
    I would like to know if there are others with an interest in air guns. They have the advantage of not being included in all the lefty generated rules and regulations regarding ownership and use.
    If one were a prohibited person, then airguns provide another avenue for recreational shooting and hunting, as does archery.
    There are air guns that definitely could be used for self protection. If one of these guns would take down a wild charging boar hog, they would stop a human trespasser intent on hurting you or your family.
    Boar standing broadside with a single shot - certainly, boar charging - no thank you. Of course, most "wild boars" are just pigs.

Unless I were a prohibited person (about the only reason I can see to want to do this), I would reject this notion for multiple reasons. As mentioned above, you typically have one shot, given the amount of time to reload one might have. Another quick negative is that you will be depending on compressed air, air that can bleed down over time and lose power, or even fail to fire at all. Not that I would want to catch one, but even multiple shots with more powerful arms do not reliably stop attackers.
    Also, most modern made air guns have sound reducers so they can be shot in your back yard without bothering the neighbors, within reason.
    A powerful airgun of any type, especially big bore, can be extremely loud, with ear protection mandatory for practice and recommended for hunting. I have several spring-piston airguns in .177 and 5mm that are considerably louder than both a long-barreled .22 shooting subsonics and my suppressed .22 shooting match ammo (also subsonic).

Pyramid Air says their "silencers" provide 41 dB sound reduction (presumably on their smaller caliber (.177.20,.22,.25) rifles. There are potential legal issues surrounding airgun silencers, but it seems they are generally allowed if permanently attached. (https://www.pyramydair.com/article/Airgun_silencers_What_s_the_big_deal_August_2006/32) Again,this has been for smaller airguns and suppressing a big bore airgun may put one on thin ice. If you want a removable suppressor, then you will definitely be doing it through the ATF and one would have to do all of the same background checks and qualifications they would have to do for a real firearm. A real firearm that is both more practical and more effective for self defense.

Most smaller caliber airguns generate 90-95 dB sound pressure levels (http://www.straightshooters.com/decibel-ranking-of-airguns.html) and the larger caliber PCPs are considerably louder, maybe 130 dB. This is very conservative, because a .22 Long Rifle standard velocity, from a rifle, is only 130 dB (https://ncsilencer.blogspot.com/2011/02/sounds-decibels-and-suppressors.html) and I KNOW the big bore PCPs are substantially louder than that.

If we reduce the >130 dB sound pressure level by the 41 dB claimed by Pyramid Air, we are still at >89 dB. Only 85dB is said to be damaging to hearing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure), so I would suggest that your neighbors will probably hear you if they would hear a regular spring piston air rifle.
    I'm new to the air gun interest, and would like to know if others may have formed clubs, have shooting ranges for air guns exclusively (soft sound, don't need earplugs), or any other involvement.
    I don;t have any direct experience with local airgun clubs, but an internet search should turn up something. This might help get you started:https://www.pyramydair.com/PAFT/what-is-field-target/field-target-clubs/

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Many all around , full service Gun Clubs will have airgun programs as part of their mix , but can't think of a local- ish airgun only club .

But that just leaves a big unmet opportunity for the OP to start one . ( Only 15% humor . Their is more demand for this than for several niche firearms activities that do have dedicated Clubs, and as big bore airguns become more available at better prices, the interest will be increasing .)

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I love my RWS 48 in .177 at ~1100 fps. If I had a notch for every squirrel it's taken there wouldn't be a stock left. I've owned for about 25 years, replaced the main spring and seal once, and it holds zero well. I went through about 10 different scopes before I found a Hawke 3-9 that has stood up to the big springer.

I looked into some of the PCP stuff but only getting 5-10 shots per fill and dealing with all the tanks and what not turned me off.

The RWS 48 is a side charging springer rifle which I prefer over the break barrel type. I also have a Crossman 2240 that takes CO2. It has a moderator on it and is very quiet. In .22 at 550fps it's enough to take out squirrels and rabbits and not alert anyone. I would recommend everyone have at least one air rifle. They are good for practicing fundamentals and pest eradication.

I would not trust my life to an air rifle however, even if it's shooting 200gr projectiles at 800fps. I'm sure they will lose some pressure over time and I wouldn't want to risk it in a real emergency.

Sirex