Licensed electrician needed to assess and maybe rewire a panel. Shared neutrals?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Selling my house, inspector says a panel that was inspected and deemed acceptable 6 years ago is not acceptable now. Need a rewire in Parkton, MD. Please help.
    87ed2adb8fd25f5a53320bf6dc732533.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Is this the main panel for the house? If so, the only problem I could see here is that you may have to many conductors under the lugs which is easy to fix. The terminology is completely wrong for that.

If this is a sub panel, there could be an issue with how the wiring goes to that sub panel and it is switched that would disallow this type of wiring. That would actually be a shared neutral.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Golf. Only panel for the house. Buyer wants it fixed. Need someone licensed to do it that can provide an invoice.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Buyer should prove to you that it's an issue.

If it was inspected and in code when installed that's that. Home inspectors make crap up half the time I swear.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    It is an easy fix and should take 10 minutes tops and that's from the time they step out of the vehicle. The bare ground conductors can be doubled up but the neutrals (white wires) are to be single-conductor under the screw lug.

Sorry, I can't help my state license has been shelved.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I showed my sister who is a realtor the picture and she said this is a common issue. It’s know as “double tapping”. “Shared neutrals” is the wrong term so the home inspector is already pushing credibility.

The “problem” is that you can’t have more than one neutral (white wire) under each lug. You can have a white wire and a ground from the same circuit but you can’t have two circuits under the same lug. The “problem” is that if someone tries to pull the wire to isolate a circuit it can cause confusion on which wire is being pulled. Also, there is a concern that in a power surge or short there isn’t as good of a connection at that lug to ground and it course cause arcing.

She said that some electricians will take a look at it and give it a thumbs up and some will Want to move a few wires. Shouldn’t be terribly expensive. If they tell you the whole box has to be rewired they are full of shit. Have you asked your realtor (the one selling you house) for a suggestion? They may or may not have a go to person for stuff like this. Other suggestion would be Angies list or home advisor, just beware of the massive influx of emails you will get.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Have you asked your realtor (the one selling you house) for a suggestion? They may or may not have a go to person for stuff like this. ....

^^^This. Every house we’ve sold, our realtor was on Eggzackly this kind o stuff like white on rice - ESP at this stage of the game.

Are you selling wo a realtor? If you have a realtor , time for a come to Jesus talk. After all, YOU’RE PAYING THEIR COMMISSION , every house we’ve so,d, issues just like this one are how they earn their commission

I apologize I am not answering you specific question (if you were in Cal Co I’d call our last realtor there and she’d have you hooked up before lunch tomorrow!)

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I dont really need the reasons why it needs to be fixed. I just need it fixed by someone with a license who can give me an invoice with their MHIC number on it that says its fixed without charging me $300.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    So what's the problem here? Lol

Someone mixed ground and neutral wires under the same screw on the right side bar?

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I dont really need the reasons why it needs to be fixed. I just need it fixed by someone with a license who can give me an invoice with their MHIC number on it that says its fixed without charging me $300.

You can fix that yourself, or is your buyer using a VA loan?

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Who cares what they want? They didnt come this far to walk away, unless its a VA loan. VA loans are a pain in the @$$.

tcc722

Jul 3, 2010
    PA

Unfortunately thats probably what you'll have to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom