• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    asking for a friend. no really :p

he's getting his first firearm, and I'm going to help him build out an AR. I know he has to 77r a stripped lower. What's the current legality with what he can build with it? have to be a HBAR? Should assemble as pistol first to keep options open down the road to convert back? Obviously has to conform to OAL requirements in both cases. My memory on the topic is a little hazy as all of mine are pre-2013.

thanks!
    Dave

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    HBAR for rifles (16" barrel length or longer) if they are 5.56 caliber. Other AR calibers have no HBAR requirement. There's no barrel profile requirement for AR pistols.

Yes, you should consider building it as a pistol first, so you could switch back and forth later. Can't change a rifle to a pistol once it's built.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Isn’t the reality of it, after you do your 77r, the state will never know what you build it into?
    The reality of it is, when you castle nut the buffer tube on the lower, without a butt stock attached, it IS a pistol lower. Worry no more.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    if you want to use an AFG there is I believe

Pretty sure you meant VFG - vertical fore grip - which is not allowed on pistols. It would be okay if you went for the AOW stamp. The angled fore grip - AFG - is not vertical so it's okay to use on a pistol.

And if you get past 26" OAL, it's not considered a pistol any more, just a firearm, so the VFG is good again. Or so I'm told. I'm not a lawyer but that's what I've read.

Personally I never used a foregrip, but I think a handstop is useful.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    HBAR for rifles (16" barrel length or longer) if they are 5.56 caliber. Other AR calibers have no HBAR requirement. There's no barrel profile requirement for AR pistols.

Yes, you should consider building it as a pistol first, so you could switch back and forth later. Can't change a rifle to a pistol once it's built.

You may want to add .223 to that 5.56. It will matter.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And to be clear, the non-5.56/.223 exemption from HBAR is an MSP interpretation.

The law does not mention caliber for the AR line. It DOES mention caliber for other firearms, such as the Mine-14 with folding stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom