• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I’ve been on a 5.56/223 to 300blk brass producing kick lately. I have acquired at least 6-7 thousand pieces of brass over the years. After weeks of wearing out my little midway tumbler, sorting out the cases with the right wall thickness, chopping and forming, I have about a thousand of them.

Anyway all this work to feed my 10.5” pistol got me thinking. I have a t/c pro hunter muzzleloader, it’s got some trigger work and a oversized hung pin, why don’t I find a threaded barrel to shoot mouse fart quiet blackout loads in? My omega 300 should be in my hands within the next millennium.

My pet sub load is 10.9gr of IMR4227 under a 210gr Sierra matchking. That isn’t my blasting load but that’s what shoots the best I’m my pistol. I’m thinking with a longer barrel I would have to reduce that a bit to stay under the sound barrier but I could build some decent accuracy from that platform.

Only problem is everywhere I look the barrels are sold out. I would of figured that would be a smart move from tc to be churning them out with 300blk/suppressed crowds but apparently not. I did find a mgm barrel for it in stock but they are pretty steep. Begara seems to have limited production runs but I hav’nt seen them anywhere, not even on gun broker. Not really wanting to go custom, I guess this impulsive new quest will get shelved for right now.

Opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Well I was about to suggest Bullberry Barrel Works, they make really good Contender and Encore barrels I have several. And I discovered they were going out of business but the good news is one of their employees is taking over the business. Here is a link:
    https://www.bullberry.com/

They will make just about anything you want. Here is their list of Encore Chamberings scroll down for pricing and profiles (they offer 300 BLK in a 1 in 8 twist):
    https://www.bullberry.com/oldcustom-encore-barrels

Click the Custom Single Shots tab under the heading for more barrel choices.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Thanks for all the advice.

A member on here sold me a mint mgm barrel for my encore at a great price.

I can’t wait to put a can on it. I do need to check headspace though had a few light primer strikes. Got Some things coming from bellm tc to hopefully get that strait.

Attachments

• 9FA34352-669A-467D-8D6F-9D67C8F31B2F.jpg
      9FA34352-669A-467D-8D6F-9D67C8F31B2F.jpg
      95.1 KB · Views: 229

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Good find, looks like a fun piece. Encore barrels are notorious for head space issues. I’m guessing your gonna go with heavier hammer spring. Use caution on the poundage cause it will crack the hammer. I was heavy into the encores back in the 90s and had head space issues on 2 barrels. One in 25-06 and one in 300 win mag. If your handloading try messing with shoulder bump. That will usually take care of it. MGM makes good stuff. I don’t dabble in personal encores anymore but I still have a bunch of trigger and hammer springs left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom