• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So I’ve been struggling with a 16” AR build for the last few years. I’ve never been able to build an accurate one. Never shoot it much even though it’s in the front of the safe if you know what I mean. It’s reliable, just not accurate. I’ve gone through several barrels and parts and just, nope.

Yes, I am a cheap bastard and I am sure that is what but me this time. I’ve had good general luck with cheap AR-15 and 10 builds in other calibers and lengths, but not 16” 223 wylde.

Finally what I did was swap the upper for an AIM generic forged and a new handguard and barrel nut. I’ve been reusing the barrel nut from attempt to attempt. Same with the upper.

Plinking ammo, most brands it is shooting around 3MOA +/-.5 depending on the brand. It hates American Eagle 223. Though I’ve never owned a 223 AR that can shoot it better than 5MOA. Even my sub MOA 20” can’t shoot it for crap.

Then I switched to nice ammo. I put some Frontier 55gr BTHP and it shot 2MOA (these are all 5 shot groups). Then it shot a .51” (1.02MOA, shooting mostly at 50yds, a little at 100) group with Hornady Black 75gr BTHP. Followed up by a .53” group with Australian Outback 55gr Blitz Kings.

This is compared to 2.5MOA best with Hornady black using the SAME barrel in the “old” upper and handguard and barrel nut. So I guess you can wear them out given sufficient messing with them.

Shot a couple more really nice similar sized groups with Hornady black. Then shot a couple score more rounds of plinking ammo.

Very happy. Now just time to go work up some inexpensive hand loads for it that I can crank out in volume that will shoot okay.

Spent several hours at the range and it was a great day today!

Jmsvickers

Oct 19, 2020
    SOMD
    Glad you got it sorted! Just outbof curiosity, did you do any work to the upper? Such as true the face or anything like that?

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Getting any rifle to shoot accurately is dependent upon the ammunition. Matching the bullet to the barrel twist rate can show dramatic improvements.

Seems like yours may prefer a heavier and longer bullet. You might try some 62 and 69 grain loads of different brands to help narrow it down.

Tough to find a variety in today's market. Good luck on your quest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom